Haldex oil change

scooby2000

Reaction score
My S3 is almost 3 years old and it's been into Audi for a combined oil change/inspection service. They did the brake fluid change but not the haldex oil. I presume this also needs done (going by the manual). Has everyone changed it at 3 years old?

My S3 is almost 3 years old and it's been into Audi for a combined oil change/inspection service. They did the brake fluid change but not the haldex oil. I presume this also needs done (going by the manual). Has everyone changed it at 3 years old?

4 years/40k miles. Usually it’s just oil, not filter. Cant remember which cars take oil only or oil and filter. Very rare you ever see this covered under a servicing plan as itMs only a recommendation not a requirement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im looking to do this myself asap as ive just bought mine with 44k on it. What oil does it use and how much?

Reactions: jungle650 and Bitzieee
Haldex should be changed every 3 years not 4. It's not mileage dependent anymore.

I had mine changed on the S3 recently at 2.5 years old with ~35K miles. There was no filter on mine, just a gauze, which I had cleaned at the same time, though it wasn't that dirty.

Reactions: jungle650
Im looking to do this myself asap as ive just bought mine with 44k on it. What oil does it use and how much?

Take some pics / a vid if you do it yourself as there is a lack of info on the subject and any additional info / pics would be very useful to others. These Haldex 5 cars all are starting to reach an age where servicing this conponent is vital, (ie cleaning the gauze and replacing the oil).

Thx
Jungle

Reactions: Fatbloke
It looks pretty straight forward, Couple of torx and then pull it out and the filter is and plastic gauze which you can clean out. then fill with the new oil and re fit.

Haldex should be changed every 3 years not 4. It's not mileage dependent anymore.

I had mine changed on the S3 recently at 2.5 years old with ~35K miles. There was no filter on mine, just a gauze, which I had cleaned at the same time, though it wasn't that dirty.

Vw specifications are 4 years 40k miles.

Source: I’m a VW Service Advisor.

Why would VW and Audi have different intervals for the same part, it doesn't make sense.

Perhaps you're thinking of the gen 4 service intervals.

Why would VW and Audi have different intervals for the same part, it doesn't make sense.

Perhaps you're thinking of the gen 4 service intervals.
They've not changed for us, but follow your gut instinct I guess :thumbs up:

How do I know which version of haldex is on my vehicle?
It's a 2016 A3 150 diesel quattro.
Will it have a filter and how much oil will it need?

They've not changed for us, but follow your gut instinct I guess :thumbs up:
Spoke to my mate today (VW Master Tech) and he confirms the gen 5 haldex is 3 yrs just the same as Audi.

I'm glad my car doesn't get serviced at your dealership btw.
How do I know which version of haldex is on my vehicle?
It's a 2016 A3 150 diesel quattro.
Will it have a filter and how much oil will it need?
All 8v chassis cars are gen 5 mate. There is no filter as such, but a gauze inside the housing which can get gunked up.

Vag dealers don't remove the pump as per the YT video above, so it's best to get an independent to do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4K and Fatbloke
Looks straight forward enough on the video above.
Is it really that easy to do it myself?
What oil is required?

My 2014 S3 was done by the dealer at 3years old (approx 25k miles).
I didn't specify it being done so presumed that it was just following schedule.
From memory it looked simple enough once they had ordered the oil in.........took a few days to source!

Reactions: 4K
Last edited:
Vw specifications are 4 years 40k miles.

Source: I’m a VW Service Advisor.

Great for VW.

Audi specs are 3 years, no mileage.

Source:
fsnVqn

Attachments

• Haldex.png
    Haldex.png
    78 KB · Views: 1,151
Spoke to my mate today (VW Master Tech) and he confirms the gen 5 haldex is 3 yrs just the same as Audi.

I'm glad my car doesn't get serviced at your dealership btw.

All 8v chassis cars are gen 5 mate. There is no filter as such, but a gauze inside the housing which can get gunked up.

Vag dealers don't remove the pump as per the YT video above, so it's best to get an independent to do it.
Glad my partners VW doesn't get serviced at his garage too! Then again, I don't trust many monkey dealerships.