1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Haldex oil change cockup!

vfr800 May 17, 2012

1. vfr800

vfr800 Active Member Team Dolphin Grey quattro Audi S3 Audi A6

Hi

I put the car on ramps and changed the haldex filter and oil, the job was pretty easy, didn't lose much oil when I put the new plug and washer on.

Torqued it up to 15nm as per the manual.
    Cleaned the area afterwards to look for leaks and noticed this :sob: :banghead: :shrug: :wtf:

[​IMG]

New washer time?

Has this happened to anyone before?

Should I drop the oil and put in a known amount again seeing as I'll lose a bit more if I change the washer?

Help?

2. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

I know there is supposed to be a torque applied to most things but common sense should prevail here realistically... last haldex plug that got torqued up I know of resulted in stripped threads...

The torque arguably applies when its all new and shiny but once over a certain age and of course after its been off a few times then tbh torquing the plug up is less appealing... you get a better feel doing it by hand tbh...

Doesn't look like its leaking yet

<tuffty/>

3. vfr800

vfr800 Active Member Team Dolphin Grey quattro Audi S3 Audi A6

Thanks. Now I know! :)

I went for a bit of a drive on a short loop and it's weeping slightly.

It's a shame the GSF I'm in walking distance of doesn't sell the sump plug or washer :(

Liam

4. adamss24

adamss24 Well-Known Member

Why not get a suitable penny copper washer and change it ? Halfords do a wide selection and i'm sure you an get a decent selection from a plumbase or good plumber supplier ! As per above post, i trust my hand more than i trust a calibrated torque wrench !