1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

haldex leak

barters3 Oct 25, 2008

1. barters3

barters3 Member

i have just orded the bits to change the haldex oil and filter. i thought while it was dry i would quickly jack the car up and have a look at it before i do the work next weekend.
    I noticed fresh oil around the haldex unit, it looks like its been leaking from a black plastic tube where the tube connects to the metal unit. the plastic tube also has wires going to it. iv had a quick search on google and looked at a diagram and as far as i can tell this tube connects to the pump unit. i did not want to pull it off incase more oil poured out! i have pushed it on further and degreased the whole area and i will check it over the next few days to see if it continues to leak. sorry about the long winded post, i would be grateful if anybody can help.

2. HEKTOR

HEKTOR Member

do you know when the oil was last changed and by whom?if i remember correctly when my diff oil was changed on my impreza it made a mess and the subaru machanic didnt bother to clean the area and this made me think the was a leak,this may be the problem.other than that mate im no use sorry. good luck getting it sorted

3. barters3

barters3 Member

It definatly hasnt been changed recently,and it is a new leak because i would have noticed it when the car was up on the lift recently.the thing is iv looked through my service history which was all audi servicing and i can see no record of the haldex being serviced,and the car has done 90000,so a litle worrying.im going to see if the leak has stoped then il do the oil and filter next wkend.

4. dollface

dollface Member

my audi a3 sportback 3.2 dsg quattro had a leak from the haldex , fixed under warranty also same leak from dsg box also fixed on warranty . if it ever happens again i will be mad , how hard is it to make something that dont leak , i got my car new in 2005 nov and had a few problems but they offer me warranty for extra year 2009 till 2010 for £500 as they are paying £1000 towards it (£1500) is it worth it , just scared if the dsg box went or something very expensive

5. fingermouse

fingermouse thats me

I thought I had a leak but it was a top up oil bottle that had leaked in the boot, There is a grommet in the boot above the haldex and it ran down onto it. Didn`t even know the bottle was there lol

6. barters3

barters3 Member

I have a bottle of oil in the boot, i wish it was just that, but it isnt! I have found that the pump on the haldex unit is the bit that is leaking however it is only a slight seep and not enough to worry aboout at the moment. I am sourcing another pump which is £290+vat from audi or £240+vat from vag parts. I managed to find a second hand one on ebay which i got for £35 however i havent recieved it yet and i cant get hold of the seller so im hoping i havent been ripped off!!