1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Haldex issues

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by MrTackalakalaka, Sep 14, 2012.

1. MrTackalakalaka

Jan 20, 2012

Ive had a problem with my car for a while and i think ive worked out what the problem could be.

Am i right in thinking that the 8L S3 is normally front wheel drive until you accelerate or start to loose grip then the haldex kicks in turning it t4wd?
    I have noticed quite a lot that if i slow down for a roundabout or junction or whatever and then as i accelerate out of it.......as the car starts to gain speed fast i get a huge thud/bang/knock (dont know how to describe it) and the car feels like ive just drove over a pot hole.

I also read somewhere that the haldex oil and filter need to be changed every now and then to stop the clutch from seizing. I didnt know this needed doing and neither did the previous owner (owned it for about 4 years from 29k miles, now on 81k)

Could i be looking at a haldex that may be on its way out? or the clutch is seizing etc

or am i talking absolute **** and need to sshh?

haha any suggestions?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. vrbob

vrbob Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!

Jun 19, 2007
    Haldex should be done every 40k you can get the filter oil and tool off ebay for about £50
  4. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow...
    Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

Sep 14, 2008
    Haldex oil change is every 20k and filter change is every 40k but tbh its worth halving that especially if doing it yourself...

Filter is around £20, oil around £12 and the tool around £25... all can be got off eBay or GSF

5. Omniquito

Omniquito Member

Sep 3, 2012
    Going back to near the beginning, is Mr Tack.... Correct in assuming that an 8l S3 is front wheel drive until slip and then 4wd? I ask as i get a little wheel spin/chirp before it grips and wonder if thats a problem or the norm? Im used to an allroad that has permy 4wd and no slip...
  6. Jpd89

Jpd89 Member

Jun 8, 2012
    Think it's like 90/10 permanent then up to 50/50 once wheel spin has been detected?