Haldex gen2 service guide

PhilPD

Reaction score
Hello all

I've searched high and low, and can't find a guide for changing the oil/filter on the haldex gen2. Does anyone know where I might find one?

I have been given a bottle of oil, rather than the mastic-gun style cartidge, and can't find any information about putting it in.

Thank you, and sorry if I've missed an obvious guide.

AFAIK you need to pump it in. you can not just pour it in because of the bad location of filler cap. there must be a guide somewhere in the web.

Thanks for that. Don't suppose you know if it's a 'fill until it pours out again' job, do you?

Thanks again.

yep, you fill it until it pours out. your bottle is 1 lt right? mine left 250ml in the bottle after filling.

Thanks. Yep, I have a one litre bottle. I'll take a look tomorrow.

The filter looks like it can be removed with a normal socket... depending on access.

Thanks again.

Have you looked at an independent to carry out that work..? a local in the north east doesn't charge that much and even Audi themselves are reasonable. If I was buying a car that someone said they had serviced the haldex themselves I’d walk away without batting an eye-lid, others wouldn't of course.

Which region are you from..?

Have you looked at an independent to carry out that work..? a local in the north east doesn't charge that much and even Audi themselves are reasonable. If I was buying a car that someone said they had serviced the haldex themselves I’d walk away without batting an eye-lid, others wouldn't of course.

Which region are you from..?

Hello

I have considered getting it done elsewhere, but I would prefer to do it myself for various reasons:

1) I will not attempt the work until I am 100% confident in what I am doing
2) It is in my interest to do it properly! If the Haldex fails 2k miles after being serviced at a garage, I would have a very hard time proving they were at fault - doing it myself I can spend more time and take care to ensure it's done properly.
3) I tend to 'over service' my cars. When just buying oil and filters, this is not a massively expensive thing to do, and provides peace of mind. If I were to pay someone to do all the work, it would get very expensive!
4) I don't really care if people choose to walk away from buying one of my cars. I know this may sound a little short sighted, but my primary concern is maintaining my vehicles to a high standard whilst not throwing money away. I usually run cars to very high mileages (my current daily car is an 05' with 240,000 miles - serviced by me since new) and I am yet to have any failures other than wear and tear items. If I have a few people walk away when the time comes to sell, then so be it. Without wanting to sound arrogant, I take good care of my cars and have always found that a folder full of reciepts for high quality oils and genuine parts is more than enough to sell them quickly.
5) I have lost count of the number of times I have had work done by a garage and then had to correct their errors/replace components they have broken etc etc. Simple things like having wheels put on with an incorrectly set air gun really wind me up.

I think if I were to buy a car new and sell it within a year or two, I would possibly rethink, as I'm sure someone looking to spend a large amount of money on a car would prefer a dealer history, but given the time that I keep cars and the reletively low value of them at the end, I think a loving history is more valuable than a dealer stamp which essentialy proves nothing.

I hope this doesn’t sound arsey, it's not at all supposed to, I just got carried away :)

I live in Bucks.

Last edited:
Just make sure you really know which are the correct nuts to drain / add the new oil!

The master tech didn't at my local trusted independent, so they ended up funding me a nearly new diff unit after running my diff dry... TPS want £2,580 for a new diff unit...