1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Haldex gen2 service guide

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by PhilPD, Nov 26, 2011.

1. PhilPD

PhilPD Member

[Nov 26, 2011]
    Hello all

I've searched high and low, and can't find a guide for changing the oil/filter on the haldex gen2. Does anyone know where I might find one?

I have been given a bottle of oil, rather than the mastic-gun style cartidge, and can't find any information about putting it in.

Thank you, and sorry if I've missed an obvious guide.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 23, 2014]

3. S38P

S38P Member

[Nov 26, 2011]
    AFAIK you need to pump it in. you can not just pour it in because of the bad location of filler cap. there must be a guide somewhere in the web.
  4. PhilPD

PhilPD Member

[Nov 26, 2011]
    Thanks for that. Don't suppose you know if it's a 'fill until it pours out again' job, do you?

Thanks again.
  5. S38P

S38P Member

[Nov 26, 2011]
    yep, you fill it until it pours out. your bottle is 1 lt right? mine left 250ml in the bottle after filling.
  6. PhilPD

PhilPD Member

[Nov 26, 2011]
    Thanks. Yep, I have a one litre bottle. I'll take a look tomorrow.

The filter looks like it can be removed with a normal socket... depending on access.

Thanks again.
  7. RobinA3

RobinA3 Well-Known Member

8. SiT

SiT Member

[Nov 27, 2011]
    Have you looked at an independent to carry out that work..? a local in the north east doesn't charge that much and even Audi themselves are reasonable. If I was buying a car that someone said they had serviced the haldex themselves I’d walk away without batting an eye-lid, others wouldn't of course.

Which region are you from..?
  9. PhilPD

PhilPD Member

[Nov 28, 2011]
    Hello

I have considered getting it done elsewhere, but I would prefer to do it myself for various reasons:

1) I will not attempt the work until I am 100% confident in what I am doing
    2) It is in my interest to do it properly! If the Haldex fails 2k miles after being serviced at a garage, I would have a very hard time proving they were at fault - doing it myself I can spend more time and take care to ensure it's done properly.
    3) I tend to 'over service' my cars. When just buying oil and filters, this is not a massively expensive thing to do, and provides peace of mind. If I were to pay someone to do all the work, it would get very expensive!
    4) I don't really care if people choose to walk away from buying one of my cars. I know this may sound a little short sighted, but my primary concern is maintaining my vehicles to a high standard whilst not throwing money away. I usually run cars to very high mileages (my current daily car is an 05' with 240,000 miles - serviced by me since new) and I am yet to have any failures other than wear and tear items. If I have a few people walk away when the time comes to sell, then so be it. Without wanting to sound arrogant, I take good care of my cars and have always found that a folder full of reciepts for high quality oils and genuine parts is more than enough to sell them quickly.
    5) I have lost count of the number of times I have had work done by a garage and then had to correct their errors/replace components they have broken etc etc. Simple things like having wheels put on with an incorrectly set air gun really wind me up.

I think if I were to buy a car new and sell it within a year or two, I would possibly rethink, as I'm sure someone looking to spend a large amount of money on a car would prefer a dealer history, but given the time that I keep cars and the reletively low value of them at the end, I think a loving history is more valuable than a dealer stamp which essentialy proves nothing.

I hope this doesn’t sound arsey, it's not at all supposed to, I just got carried away :)

I live in Bucks.
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  10. BigBird

BigBird Lost in music...

[Nov 28, 2011]
    Just make sure you really know which are the correct nuts to drain / add the new oil!

The master tech didn't at my local trusted independent, so they ended up funding me a nearly new diff unit after running my diff dry... TPS want £2,580 for a new diff unit...