1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Haldex Gen 1 or Gen 2

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Erf, May 20, 2012.

1. Erf

Erf Member

Hi guys,

Quick question - is there an easy way to tell if I have Gen 1 or Gen 2 Haldex?

I have a 2002 BAM S3 and I know Gen 2 was available from 2002 onwards, but I just want to be sure!

Thanks,
    Erf
  2. Tooks

Tooks Active Member

It will be a Gen 1 from the factory, VAG didn't fit any Gen 2 versions until the 8P A3 and Golf V.

I'm assuming here you mean Gen 2 as in the version that always puts 20% of drive rearwards?
  3. shariain

shariain Well-Known Member

Have a look at your controller

If it looks like this then it's a gen 1

http://bit.ly/JtXH2t

If it looks like the part on the left then it's gen 2

[​IMG]
  4. Lemon S3

Lemon S3 Alex

Im pretty sure all 8l's are fitted with gen 1 and 8p's are gen 2.
  5. Erf

Erf Member

Thanks guys. So from what you're saying I shouldn't worry about part numbers if I'm buy a replacement haldex clutch? They should all be the same for all 8L s3's? Should make life a lot easier!

Erf
  6. thegoal007

thegoal007 Another S3 owner....

Not sure if 1999 S3 would have the same controller as a 2002 S3....would it ?
  7. Tooks

Tooks Active Member

I believe all of the 8L quattros used fundamentally the same controller. It wasn't changed until the arrival of the 8P.

You can upgrade the std controller to a performance one, with different characteristics, but the std ones are all the same by generation.
  8. Dani_B19

Dani_B19 Audi-sports own special child.

Pretty sure prefacelifts and facelifts have different haldex contollers or is it non-esp and esp ines have different controllers! Anyway their not all the same.
  9. Tooks

Tooks Active Member

I understand that the ESP/ASR functions added to facelift S3's were down to Audi, and are not linked to the Haldex controller? The ESP system is standalone and afterall only brakes individual wheels to try and regain stability, it doesn't vary torque to wheels or anything.

I might be doing it a disservice, but it's really not all that sophisticated. The Haldex controller in the 8L just transfers torque to the rear wheels via the clutch packs when a difference in rotational speed between front and rear wheels is detected. It does this independently and whether ESP is switched on or off on the dash.

Having said all that, I didn't design the system, so it might be safer to source a controller from a facelift car, just in case there is other interaction with the cars systems.