Haldex Faults/ESP light.

Din85

Reaction score
Hello.

About 3 months ago i bought a Skoda Octavia 2006 1.9tdi 4x4 estate.

Last week the ESP Light came on, it reset and went away with an ignition change, it has done this a few times since although it will always go away and stay off with ignition cycle.

I took it round a mates earlier to have a little play with VAGCOM, and quickly came across a fault i was not expecting to see.

02248 - Valve for controlling clutch operating angle (N373) 014 - defective - intermittant.

Fast forward a week and i took the car to work, removed the haldex controller, checked and cleaned all electric connections with electrical cleaner, cleaned out the Solenoid Valve N373 (seems in good condition) nothing obvious to report.
Put it back in and i appear to have made the situation a whole lot worse !

Perminant 4wd failure, ESP light on dash, faults are now as follows.

By what i have read i believe there is propably water ingress on the side of the circuit board that i did not access as it is sealed (there was some slightly pushed up bits of sealant which i oversealed).

What im trying to find out, is do others here agree with my diagnosis, and what is the most cost effective repair ?
Second hand is a possibility, but a gamble, refurb would be possible but the car is in daily use so could not send it off to be done as i would have nothing to cover the diff with !

Could be possible to find the damaged bit of the board and solder it up, dunno with out looking.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks very much, Dan.

Last edited:
Fixed hopefully.

Just thought I would post this up as it seems a common fault!

OK so my fault was with the n373 valve, intermittent then perminnant.

I took the car to work today and took the controller off, dug out the sealant to expose the circuit board.

It was heavily corroded, and the lid was corroded, I cleaned the board with contact cleaner, then found the n373 connectors are not soldered but a sprung loaded push fit, the lower joint was corroded and green.

I cleaned it up, and tried my best to carefully blob some solder on it, I then looked for any other dodgy looking bits and put a hot iron over them.

I then refitted the board and controller, and spot on, no more esp light.

So I cleaned And resealed the lid.

I have since done 20/30 miles, pulled the caravan back home and all appears,well.

I'll put some pics up in case anyone is interested.

Cheers.

Corroded board.

Dodgy n373 valve connection.

My rather dodgy soldering.

Corroded lid.

My rather uninspiring reseal.

All fitted back on to the car.

And no more esp light!

And then a quick wash.

Job done.

Reactions: IPG