1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

haldex change?

carwyn rees s3 Nov 1, 2010

1. carwyn rees s3

carwyn rees s3 New Member

hi all, does anyone know when do i need to change the the haldex oil on my s3 its now done 88k and i dont know when it was changed last, cheers

2. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

every 40k

or if you've just bought it, now.

3. carwyn rees s3

yes just bought it in september,thanks mate

4. Breezey

Breezey Member

Its oil every 20k and filter/oil every 40k.

5. The Doctor

The Doctor Well-Known Member

Yep, what Breezy said. Easy enough to DIY if you've got a set of axle stands.

6. Breezey

Breezey Member

You will need the tool aswell though, i borrowed a mates as when i bought mine i took a month to arrive so i have a brand new genuine audi one if you need it. Its not a bad job to do although putting the oil in can be a bit of a challange, i did mine on a 4 post ramp and took about 15-20 mins will probably take you a little longer but it can be done on axel stands and will save you a stupid amount of money audi wanted £165 to do it about a month ago when i phoned them of which i laughed and subsiquently spoilt my FASH but hey i know its been done properly.

7. pj123

pj123 Member

I'm just about to change my haldex oil again. I've changed at 40k and 80k but now doing every 20k as they have changed the requirement from my original manual, probably from units failing. Will do probably do filter everytime i change the oil or at least remove the filter and see if i can remove old oil from it.

Its an easy job and made easier if you dont try and put the oil back up through the drain plug! Instead fill through the hole in the forward edge of the unit. After cutting the top off the oil leaving about a 1cm hole (the right size to match the size of the hole you are putting the oil through), the tube can be lined up along next to the left side of the exhaust. Its such light oil it doesn't take much effort to push the oil out of the tube using a spanner instead of a sealant gun tool (as there is not enough space for a gun). I believe this hole is at the correct fill level so if any spills back out it is just excess (for example if your old filter is still full of old oil)
    Filter is easy to remove with any of the tools sold on ebay.

About £45 for oil and filter from a dealer. £38 from GFS. Haven't tried TPS...

8. pj123

pj123 Member

I would post a helpful image if i could attach files. Any ideas?

9. Nilz

Nilz Defo worth the wait :) Team Ibis TFSI Owners Group quattro Audi A4 S-line owners group saloon Manual

Most independants will do this for about £75-80 all in.

10. Duktor

Duktor Member

heres a link to the change

Changing the Audi Quatro Haldex diff oil filter

seems ok but i would have thought be best to have the car on a level ie 4 axle stands to get a true reading unless it was designed to be done this way i dunno , ill be doing mine very soon there was also a recent post for a cheap haldex filter wrench but im stumped as i cant find it anymore it was on ebay for circa £15

11. DJ_Troopa

DJ_Troopa K1 Driver

I have no idea when mine was last changed so i'm getting it done this friday for piece of mind. It's got full Audi history and the only thing i can find is a huge service receipt with the usual parts including a full haldex system replacement back in 2003! Luckily it was under warranty for the previous owner!

12. Duktor

Duktor Member

13. carwyn rees s3

luckily enough my mates dad has a 4 poster ramp will be much easyer,thanks everyone for the advice very helpful.

14. pj123

pj123 Member

Out of interest on your receipt does it say what mileage it was replaced at? Might give us an idea of why the intervals were reduced to 20k...

15. Breezey

Breezey Member

They were never reduced i just checked my service book again (2001 AMK) and it clearly says 20,000 miles for haldex oil change and 40,000 miles for the filter.

16. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

the tools isnt essential. its not impossible without

17. Nilz

Nilz Defo worth the wait :) Team Ibis TFSI Owners Group quattro Audi A4 S-line owners group saloon Manual

It has always been 20k for Oil and 40k for the filter.

The part can be found on Ebay as a few people have them for sale and there is also a few people on here that have them for sale...just a case of looking for it really.