Haldex broken - no 4 wheel drive

veeeight

I am a very pretty girl
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Sodding car is broken again.

Wheelspinning all the way out of roundabouts tonight, on dry roads.

Got home, did a scan, Haldex Pump is knackered.

Same thing happened on my 8P.

This car has been in and out of the dealership so many times. Numerous things have had to be replaced. ACC fault, Pre-Sense Fault etc. Last thing to be replaced was a complete new camshaft timing assembly, managed to break that too.

These cars really do not like being driven hard daily.

Grrrrrr.

Last edited:
Fault 16671 Pump for Haldex Clutch
C1112 04 [008] Internal System Fault

This is/was a common fault with the Gen4 haldex pump, seems like the Gen5 Haldex pump is still made of cheap chocolate.

Reactions: batch
Sorry to hear veeeight. You have had quite a bad experience on

your cars. :bye:

Yep. The last S3 had quite a few major components replaced under warranty, looks like this one is the same too :(

They still can't explain my coolant loss issues on this car. And there is no Audi fix for it.

Last edited:
Yes, I always do get a loaner, it's still an inconvenience though.

Think this really is going to be my last Audi.

Reactions: Snibo
Definitely an inconvenience. I was just going to ask you if this would
be your last Audi. I feel bad for you! :sadlike:

Reactions: Pulp84 and veeeight
The way forward is.....

Uploadfromtaptalk1438892633976

Reactions: M_D_O_London, veeeight and Blackwhite
Sodding car is broken again.

Wheelspinning all the way out of roundabouts tonight, on dry roads.

Got home, did a scan, Haldex Pump is knackered.

Same thing happened on my 8P.

This car has been in and out of the dealership so many times. Numerous things have had to be replaced. ACC fault, Pre-Sense Fault etc. Last thing to be replaced was a complete new camshaft timing assembly, managed to break that too.

These cars really do not like being driven hard daily.

Grrrrrr.
****** hell mate !
Feeling your pain
Just out of interest, what is the loaner? RS3, R8, RS4 ...

It's booked in for next week .......... :(

You didn't really think it would get in instantly, did you :lmfao:

(It will probably be an A1) :lmfao:

Reactions: Simon L and Pulp84
Something like that I would think they would take right away! :whip:

That even makes the whole situation even worse!

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Pulp84 and veeeight
If you don't mind me asking veeeight.......how old is your S3?

I have a feeling it isn't that old. That's a lot to go wrong so far in your ownership.

If you don't mind me asking veeeight.......how old is your S3?

I have a feeling it isn't that old. That's a lot to go wrong so far in your ownership.

April 2014. 12.5k miles.
Only this morning I was wondering why the shifts were extra lurchy. Now I know.

Yep. At this rate, I'll get an invite to the Service Dept.'s Christmas Do ;)

Reactions: Jassyo06, DommyR, Wondering Soul and 1 other person
.....was just about to ask the mileage!

That's bad news Veeeight. I know you're not a fan of the car but that's a lot of grief you're getting there. Hope you get it back on the road soon ;)

Reactions: veeeight
Off topic veeeight
True story ( maybe you'll get a little laugh)
When I was out and about today I had to do a double look.
I thought I was in the U.K. and saw your car. I just saw the back of
it. It was blue and it was totally covered in Bird Poo. It made me think
of the picture you posted a few weeks ago. This car made yours look
immaculate. It really made me chuckle. :penguin:

I hope it brought a little smile to you for such a crappy
day. :redface new:

Reactions: JohnM100, Bristle Hound, Pulp84 and 2 others
^ hahaha it brought a smile to my face, Blackwhite!

Reactions: Blackwhite
Off topic veeeight
True story ( maybe you'll get a little laugh)
When I was out and about today I had to do a double look.
I thought I was in the U.K. and saw your car. I just saw the back of
it. It was blue and it was totally covered in Bird Poo. It made me think
of the picture you posted a few weeks ago. This car made yours look
immaculate. It really made me chuckle. :penguin:

I hope it brought a little smile to you for such a crappy
day. :redface new:

Funny you should mention bird poo. Every single car I've ever owned has been blasted in it, usually just after I've cleaned it.

Don't ask me why but the birds round here must hate Daytona coz I haven't had a single blob and it's been cleaned twice already ;)

Reactions: Pulp84 and Blackwhite
My old 8P 2.0tdi 170 quattro had a faulty haldex pump replaced under warranty, but there was no fault codes showing and they drove it and said it was fine. I then got the technician in the car and i drove it around the dealerships carpark with ESP off, understeering around every corner until he agreed the back wheels were doing nothing. I was a bit annoyed that they couldn't tell when they drove it, but i did enjoy proving them wrong.

God knows what all the customers thought though because i was making a fair bit of noise, lol

Yep, there are no warning light or messages on the 8V, when Haldex stops working. But at least it logged a fault.
And loads of wheelspin on the fronts!

Lots of Gen4 pump problems in the 8P forum, I had thought the Gen5 pump reliability would be better, but it seems not!

Yep, there are no warning light or messages on the 8V, when Haldex stops working. But at least it logged a fault.
And loads of wheelspin on the fronts!

Lots of Gen4 pump problems in the 8P forum, I had thought the Gen5 pump reliability would be better, but it seems not!
Is that the only real change that can be noticed? Did you mention above that the car tends to lurch between gears a little more? Thinking this might be developing on mine with what has been said here..18k miles in! Or is it something that just goes in an instant?

Could be worse veeeight.....

Not trying to one up you but these are the catalogue of issues I am living with on my rented Nissan Qashqai that only has 2,000 miles on the clock.

- ESP fault when stop / start engages. Various loud beeps.
- Stop start fails 10 seconds after engaging. Various loud beeps.
- Blind spot warning lights are on constantly when it rains (and won't switch off). Constant loud beeps.
- Cruise control failure when switched on. More beeps.
- BUT my personal favourite......the DAB radio is "locked" to the station Kiss 101. Won't play any other FM/AM/DAB stations. Bluetooth streaming is down also. Do you know how soul destroying it is listening to Rickie, Melvin and Charlie every single morning? :sorry:

Who would have thought it? A Nissan going wrong......I was shocked! I don't dare call Europcar in case they replace it with something even worse like a Vauxhall Mokka.

Almost as bad as an Audi ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Bristle Hound, MA3RC and veeeight
Is that the only real change that can be noticed? Did you mention above that the car tends to lurch between gears a little more? Thinking this might be developing on mine with what has been said here..18k miles in! Or is it something that just goes in an instant?

No warning lights, slightly lurchy changes when pressing on, and in the damp, with the 8P, you could detect a bit of torque steer on the steering wheel.

Apart from that, no other outward signs (really because, a Haldex car is predominantly in front wheel drive anyway, unless called upon).

Reactions: Wondering Soul
Unlucky mate. At least it's under warranty.

Is the car in effect now a regular front wheel drive? Or is it a broken 4 wheel drive and spinning the wheels so much due to the fault, not sure that makes much sense but hopefully you get my point. I've gone through times when I've taken the quattro for granted and wasn't convinced it was doing much/anything but maybe I'd be sitting in plumes of tyre smoke all of the time if it didn't exist and I just don't realise it.

Kinda regular front wheel drive, but with a redundant spinning prop shaft under the car ;)

And extra weight from the rear diff and Haldex unit :D

If you weren't driving hard or pushing the car, you would probably not notice that Haldex wasn't working in the dry. It's only when I wasn't getting traction out of roundabouts at full pelt, and the car was squirming around corners and the TC kept cutting in, I suspected all was not as it should be.

When driving hard/fast, the front end feels like it's on bald, overinflated tyres.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnM100
They still can't explain my coolant loss issues on this car. And there is no Audi fix for it.

They're sure it's not a water pump issue?

Sounds like your car is telling you to get rid of it. Perhaps it knows how much you hate the 8V S3?

It's been in twice for coolant loss, both occasions with an overnight pressure test. That supposedly would have shown up any issues with the pump!

But no. And they were reluctant to speculatively replace the pump, they wouldn't get reimbursed for a non-valid warranty claim.

And yes to your second point :)

Wouldn't get a Citroen either. Drove a C1 for a week as a courtesy and had all sorts of warning lights flashing at me - ignored them all of course. Only had 5k on the clock and it was a late 14 plate.

Audi were reliable in the past - 2006-time I think is when they started to become popular. My next car might be a Merc though - their looks are starting to grow on me. Shame about the interiors though - swathed in scratchy plastic.

Sorry to hear veeeight.

You've had a litany of issues with yours. I know forums tend to highlight the issues more than the perfect running but is does seem that the 8V is less over-engineered than previous models, so these are showing up earlier...

Even if you did decide to stay in the brand, your fave Estoril is sadly off the cards nowadays.

Blimey that is terrible.
It is a great shame as most of us on here are actually Audi fans otherwise we would not be here. The cars look good , and feel great and having had one not many other interiors come close . Had a look at the quick Merc A something , that was fast and had 4WD. The missus loved the style. I though the interior was awful. The plastics and build was very cheap and nasty. The Sat nav screen bolted to the dash like an afterthought.
Really horrible.
BUT ., for me a car musty be 100% reliable (within reason).
I have bought new maybe thirty new cars over the years and the only ones to develop a fault in the first three years were a Frontera (awful car) and my current A3. Though my fault in the Audi were minor and sorted quickly by the dealer under warranty.

I would lose total faith if I was you Veeeight , and if I get anything like the problems I will be off to order a Jag ( It was a tough choice between the Jag and the S3 , but went for fun over sensible).

It does seem like Audi are dropping into the bad name like Merc did a few years back. I recall going into a Merc dealer and walking out and buying a Landrover. The shame is they are selling well , and don't seem to be care.

I even had in my mind the S3 might be a keeper for me , but glad now I ordered it with the 5 year warranty.

Really hope it gets sorted.

My only comment about cheap plastics - those of you with A3/S3's - run your fingers and fingernails along your door bins !!!

Eeek! :D

And yes, I'm sure a new replacement Haldex pump will solve the issue. But for me now, the apparent fragility of the turbo is more of a concern/worry.

Strange, I could have sworn there was a tongue in cheek post I made in here.

OMG! Sounds like a massive pain in the ****! You're making me worried now...as my dad is coming to take away my Subaru this weekend!
I do absolutely love the S3 though but in 8 years of Subaru WRX ownership...I've never been left at the side of the road or had any major faults. I drove my Old Scooby hard! Even on 150k miles I was doing track days and part ex'd it on 155k and it just needed wheel bearings and an abs pump. But that's not bad considering the abs pump wasn't actually dead, just going...but it was the original pump with 155k on it.
I just hope my S3 doesn't let me down...I'll be straight back into a Subaru of it does.

I'm really sorry for you, I know you dont like the car and the lack of any sort of reliability is only making it worse.

It'll have to go, what would you get or at least be interested in?

A45 or R400 (if it gets made) are on the shortlist :)

Reactions: Blackwhite
I think, until some sort of official launch, the dates are floating, so no idea when!

V8 what sort of way are you driving it? Some people think pushing it hard daily is fine, but everyone defines it differently.

That's not to say that's why it's happening it's just you said about driving it hard, poor thing might need a break!!