haldex and rolling road?

marckell

Reaction score
hi all'
this is my first post, iv'e been reading some great topic's and one that provoked a thought was about if you pull the handbrake up one notch it disable's the haldex, is this 100% true because i am hoping to get my a3 quattro on a rolling road because i too have performance problems so i got in contact with jbs auto designs in chesterfield and they told me that they disconnect the haldex coupling so that it can run on their rolling road. has anybody had any experience of jbs? and how much roughly does it cost for a re map?

thanks.

Some places pull the haldex fuse so you can run in 2wd.

Some others have apparently experienced haldex failure a while after doing so.

I believe Haldex says it's ok but I never ran my TT in 2wd due ot the concern.

Can't comment on jbs

As Scotty says, I wouldn't risk it.

Theres plenty of 4wd rolling roads for you to use.

Rich

I've run quite a few with Haldex on our rollers and have had no problems.

[ QUOTE ]
I've run quite a few with Haldex on our rollers and have had no problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

But dont you have a 4wd road?

The people I've come across on the forums have had their failures after the dyno run and not on the actual day so I'm not surprised you haven't experienced any on your dyno.

Do you run them in 2wd? If so is this coz your dyno can't handle Haldex or another reason?

Oettinger in Germany only have a 2wd roller and as far as I am aware have not suffered from any issues, Drill had his roller'd there and has not had issues.

It would be nice if we could get to the bottom of this one, as it's a frequently asked question. Maybe I'll see if any of my contacts deal with Haldex and try and get an answer.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

All ready been done via tt-forum.co.uk and Haldex apparently said it's ok.

[ QUOTE ]
All ready been done via tt-forum.co.uk and Haldex apparently said it's ok.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that will save me a task..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So why do we still associate the failures that we have all heard/seen of from pulling the power to the haldex?? Anyone? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Could it not be coincidence? and is there any correlation in terms of time between the rolling road and the failures? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

It could be coincidence but I've only heard of a couple of units failing and coincidentally both had previously been run in 2wd.

The numbers are so low that it very well be coincidence but when it's your own car then statistics don't mean a lot.

Last time I was at QST, Kim tried to reassure some Haldex guys by saying he's cover the cost if anything happened but of course this was only on the dyno and the failures have happened later. Of course no one would expect this offer to be indefinate but it does show Kim's confindence in doing it in 2wd.

didnt haldex say that its not advisable without the prop removed, due to the moving parts still spinning in the haldex, causing drag in the oil aka torque.?????????

im sure Martin, S3 HOT ??? on here got that answer from haldex themselves

ill try and track it down.

found this in a similar thread on RS246, about running 2wd.

from Martin...

[ QUOTE ]
emailed Haldex about it and they said only run in 2wd mode if the prop shaft is removed because there could still be a drive through the rear diff because of the oil drag when the car is flat out on the rollers at about 100mph+

[/ QUOTE ]

now it _ may_ be ok if the rears are free to rotate, but i wouldnt risk it.

if i cant run in 4x4 i simply refuse and go elsewhere.

The rears being free to rotate rings a bell. I can't find the post on the TT forum.

Therefore I wouldn't take my earlier post as gospel...just in case! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Oettinger in Germany only have a 2wd roller and as far as I am aware have not suffered from any issues, Drill had his roller'd there and has not had issues.

It would be nice if we could get to the bottom of this one, as it's a frequently asked question. Maybe I'll see if any of my contacts deal with Haldex and try and get an answer.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought Oettinger are in the hands of the receivers, maybe too many claims on blown haldex's after going on their rollers???

[ QUOTE ]
found this in a similar thread on RS246, about running 2wd.

from Martin...

[ QUOTE ]
emailed Haldex about it and they said only run in 2wd mode if the prop shaft is removed because there could still be a drive through the rear diff because of the oil drag when the car is flat out on the rollers at about 100mph+

[/ QUOTE ]

now it _ may_ be ok if the rears are free to rotate, but i wouldnt risk it.

if i cant run in 4x4 i simply refuse and go elsewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a heat related problem that caused haldex units to fail, maybe some people have been lucky from just having a short run on the rollers, a longer or repeated runs could be just that bit too much for the unit.

Never even bothered to look at haldex construction before, just been to the www.haldex-traction.com website and looked at the construction of the unit, as it uses a wet multiplate clutch.... has anyone ever warped the clutch plates on a motorbike with a wet multiplate clutch? I'd assume the problem with failed units is related to the clutch plates?

coupling_lay-out.jpg

schematic_scetch.jpg

And more importantly this schematic shows that an oil temperature sensor is part of the system, so oil temps obviously are important within the unit
couping_control_consept.gif