Haggling with the Stealers??

kitsang

Reaction score
Hi guys.
i am just curious to find out your ways and techniques of haggling with the stealers and what kind of discount you got on your a3/s3.
have seen people on here saying they can get upto 5% off on a brand new s3. i know stealers can budge on the price abit but how do you get them to do it?

kitsang said:
Hi guys.
i am just curious to find out your ways and techniques of haggling with the stealers and what kind of discount you got on your a3/s3.
have seen people on here saying they can get upto 5% off on a brand new s3. i know stealers can budge on the price abit but how do you get them to do it?

Easy, get a quote from one of the online brokers and you then know what you should be paying for a car. Ring round the dealers and get them to match it. If they wont/cant, then go to the brokers and order through them.

I should say I am talking about the kind of broker that just introduces you to the dealer and they take no money from you, you deal direct with the main dealer.

I got mine by doing the leg work of speaking to a variety of dealers for quotes, and just knocking them down with a quote from the other. Also, used the net to get quotes of other sites, printed them off and took them in to show the sales guy that I didnt need to get it from him at his current price..

all thats needed is a bit of preparation. :)

After some choosing of gear and chatting to the salesrape about what i wanted. I said :

"I'll leave that with you, you need to give me a ring with your best price though as i will be checking with another source and obviously going with the cheapest"

he said "ok, i'll talk to the manager"

Parting ways i said "Well if it is the cheapest i'll see you very soon"

as i left he said "do me a favour, if we are close but not quite the cheapest then give me a ring and i'll see if we came move on it"

I said "Right, thats telling me already that your not coming back with your cheapest price" which made him sweat and grovel loads.

They werent the cheapest in the end but the full 5% and a bit was there.

Good luck and dont take any ******** :icon_thumright:

L60N said:
After some choosing of gear and chatting to the salesrape about what i wanted. I said :

"I'll leave that with you, you need to give me a ring with your best price though as i will be checking with another source and obviously going with the cheapest"

he said "ok, i'll talk to the manager"

Parting ways i said "Well if it is the cheapest i'll see you very soon"

as i left he said "do me a favour, if we are close but not quite the cheapest then give me a ring and i'll see if we came move on it"

I said "Right, thats telling me already that your not coming back with your cheapest price" which made him sweat and grovel loads.

They werent the cheapest in the end but the full 5% and a bit was there.

Good luck and dont take any ******** :icon_thumright:

Spot on!

You shouldn't have to work to get 5% off an S3 at all.
In fact, if you do a search on here, it was mentioned at the end of last year that dealers had been given the go ahead to discount them by up to 8% (sure it was 8%)
Of course, they won't tell you that, straight off.
But you now know the leeway is there.

I do the leg work on the internet, look at all the brokers and see what they are offering, spec my car up on their site, print off the prices and then pop along to the dealers.

If they aren't willing to get anywhere near the online price try another dealer local to you, one of them will.

I always go with the opinion if they will not match it exactly how much is it worth for me not to end up going somewhere up north to collect a car and risk it may be damaged etc. Traveling for 4 hours to find it scratched is going to be a ball ache. So in my mind a couple of hundred quid is worth picking it up locally.

J.

I used to sell Toyota for a few months, they all operate the same really

sales guy will give you the advertised price and a price for the tade in if you have one. If you dont agree with it they will simply ask you what it take for you to agree to a deal, even if you suggest something they cant adhere to, they will usually say "If I could do that for you, not saying I can but if I could, would you buy the car?"

If you say yes you have commited, sales person goes to manager and makes a desicion they then usually get the sales manager involved, best advice is make an offer that you think might e stupid and they will never accept, that way they can only ever get closer to the figure you had in mind in the first place, its the flip side of what they do to you if that makes any sense

marriedblonde said:
I do the leg work on the internet, look at all the brokers and see what they are offering, spec my car up on their site, print off the prices and then pop along to the dealers.

If they aren't willing to get anywhere near the online price try another dealer local to you, one of them will.

I always go with the opinion if they will not match it exactly how much is it worth for me not to end up going somewhere up north to collect a car and risk it may be damaged etc. Traveling for 4 hours to find it scratched is going to be a ball ache. So in my mind a couple of hundred quid is worth picking it up locally.

J.

Hear hear.
Exactly what I do for the wife's cars.
Local main dealer came to a ballhair away from the best internet price, so they got it.

Spec up your car using Audi's online creator?!? - 6% off the OTRP , walk in the dealers tell them your spec , how much it should be , and how much your willing to pay inc the 6% discount! the dealer should get near the price you want, give them the spiel about online brokers, is this there best price! get it in writing then get in your car to the next dealer and so on untill your happy! the 6% is based on a S3, a less fashionable model go for more!

p

I ordered a new S3 last year late november. Got 6+% off and some extra goodies from the dealer easily despite them being the only one in london being able to cater to my tax requirements. No trade-in or financing.

Hinting to the dealer that you might be cross shopping something else might help too.

boggysv said:
I ordered a new S3 last year late november. Got 6+% off and some extra goodies from the dealer easily despite them being the only one in london being able to cater to my tax requirements. No trade-in or financing.

Hinting to the dealer that you might be cross shopping something else might help too.

Always tell them your gonna go up the road for a price , also tell them THERE the first dealer you have tride!

p

You can really get them to knock down the price. When I had my 170 specced up, it come to over £30K and I bought it for £26K. Thats like 13%. I Rang up my two local dealers and bounced one off the other until the price came down. Take your time and do your reseach (as has already been said). Whatever you do, dont accept a price too early! You just got to remember that they want to sell you the car more than you want to buy it. Nothing stops you from going elsewhere and they know that!

The time of month may also have an effect on your success in negotiation. Dealers have targets to meet. They are often far more amenable toward the end of a month, when the sales director has them by the short and curlies.

When i bought a 170 TDI S-Line over a year ago i went in the showroom told the sales guy i was interseted in an A3 and could deal that day. So as not to make it easy i told him i wanted his best (and i mean best price), to add a little flavour i told him i was also very interested in a C class Merc. He started to explain how Audi don't discount which half way through his speach i stood up said thanks for your time and i'm off to see your competitor! About to loose his sale he back tracked rapidly, hit the calculator and came up with something like £1100 discount. I said ok that's a starting point, give me the keys and i'll take it for a run and then if i like it you can give me your real discount. I came back (loved the car) and told him it was ok and more discount please. With a smile he offered me another £400 off and said he'd honestly got no more to play with. With a pause and a straight face i told him another £400 off and i'd do the deal. Now bearing in mind this was a Sunday he had to phone his manager at home, the first question the manager asked was am i local (wanted the service work). Answer was yes and the deal was done.

A year on and i went back to see the same salesman and test drove a new TT and S3. I told him, he does realise he won't be making any commision today and it will be a long day till i get the deal i want ....... he smiled and said yes. I settled on the S3 which he told me absolutley no Audi discounts on them. No prob's i told him because he was going to give me a great part chop price. We sat down he gave me a figure (which wasn't too bad) although i told him he was having a laugh. I told him how much i was willing to pay difference with part chop and it was none negotiable. He went to see the manager again who ok'd the deal.

The salesman has since told me he enjoys the banter and someone coming in knowing what they want, what they will pay and actually doing the deal.

Haggle, haggle, haggle!

phantom said:
Always tell them your gonna go up the road for a price , also tell them THERE the first dealer you have tride!

p
Sadly all 5 local are one group down here (Plymouth, Exeter, N Abbot, Taunton and Barnstaple). Still I got a better £ deal and very good service going 35 instead of 10 miles from home! But having the internet quotes in hand definitely helps

TDI-line said:
They seem pretty good MB.

Any feedback?

I've only ever used them to get a price when haggling with local dealers...

But I did see quite a few decent comments about them on various fourms when I searched for them.

J.

I am currently awaiting delivery of a brand new A3 SE ;)

Its down for March delivery and way before i ordered the car i sorted a price from the internet and then made phone calls to 5 local dealers.

I gave them the details over the phone i.e. my old car, condition, options, etc and also told them what i was prepared to pay to swap my 3 year old A3 for a new one.

This got all the dealers phoning me back with the deals they could do.

Just keep saying NO to them and they come back again with another offer.

This went on for 4 weeks and when you have your best offer only then go in and see them face to face and sort out the details.

Only one dealer refused to give any offers over the phone (Chester Audi) the rest were quite happy to compete against themselves.

It depends on how keen they are to shift metal at the end of the day.

Two days after i had confirmed my order another dealer phoned and offered me a £200 better deal than i had signed up for which annoyed me a little. Two days earlier and he would have got my signature on the order.

Play one against the other :sly: Yes we lose money on every deal but keep it to minimum :happy: It cost me slightly less to do my current change than it did to do the same with a Vauxhall Astra 6 years ago.:happy:

Dont go into a showroom and haggle there :no: Your on the salesmans patch and he will win :o.k:
I personaly prefer to buy from a dealer rather than the internet because i then have a face, names and a door to knock on if things are not right.

I dont know about not winning just cause your in the salesroom... you can always walk out in the same way you put the phone down .... and besides... its easier to say no to someone on the phone

Horses for courses tho. :)