1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Had my S3 detailed this weekend....

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by themanthatcan, May 18, 2008.

1. themanthatcan

themanthatcan Member
    VCDS Map User

My S3's paintwork was in bit of state, so I'd arranged for Alex of South Coast Detailing came to my dad's workshop this weekend to do a paint correction and detailing. He'd done an inspection on the paintwork a few weeks ago and reckoned it would take him 1.5 days and quoted me £200; very reasonable :thumbsup:

The biggest problem to tackle was the swirl marks and scratches. The original owner clearly wasn't clued up with the art of cleaning a car! Here's what a few pics of the panels looked like beforehand:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Alex set about machine polishing and it soon became apparent that the hard Audi paint was going to prove difficult to work with. Due to time constraints he simply didn't have time to work on the deeper scratches. He reckoned it would have taken him about 3 days to get deep enough.

Anyway he did his best with the time we had and I'm very happy with the results. She's shined up to a really good finish, much better than I was expecting. As an added bonus because he wasn't able to spend as much time as he would have liked on the car, it only cost me £160!

Here's some pics so you can judge for yourself. Please excuse the photos as I'm not the best at taking pics of cars (well making them look good anyway!):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. abdus

abdus Top Gear
    VCDS Map User

very nice :)

was in quite a state before..lol

4. 1animal1

1animal1 The Clar!! it mouves!!!
    VCDS Map User

you must be chuffed to bits mate....that looks awesome!!!

5. voorhees

voorhees Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Black Edition Team Brill Red

6. vrbob

vrbob Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!

Looking really good andy,

Your paintwork originally looks in a very similar state to mine so i think the detailing will defo be on my to do list.

Did you get any instructions on how to keep it looking great for the future??

Also can you post the contact details of the guy that did the detailing incase i feel the need for the shiney paintwork sooner rather than later.

Cheers

7. themanthatcan

themanthatcan Member
    VCDS Map User

Thanks guys.

Bob - Didn't get any aftercare advice really. He was pushed for time as he's emmigrating to New Zealand in a few days and had a family party to get to. As such there's not really much point in me passing on his details! :)

8. S£

S£ Member

Looks great mate! looks like someone used sand to polish it before! Who said you cant take pictures?! The one of the boot has great effect with the sky and hedge!! :thumbsup:

9. Clach

Clach A3 - 1.8Ts

:)

10. vrbob

Doh now i remember you saying that before!

Did you have someone else he reccomended or does anyone else know a good detailer down the southampton area??

11. Nilz

Nilz Defo worth the wait :)
    Team Silver Audi S3 Audi Sport Owner Group

Mate the car looks mint!!

The pic of the boot looks amazing.

12. Shy19s

Shy19s Oil running through my veins.

:applaus:Very nice job.

13. S3ren

S3ren Lovely Sunshine

looks really nice bud...black is such a hard colour to take care of. did he use a sealent to protect the paint work when he finished.

14. scott_johnson

scott_johnson Audiless

Very nice mate :) What products was the guy using?? I got told from my swissvax detail to use dodojuise limeprime and purplehaze wax to keep it looking mint.....

15. jesters3

jesters3 Active Member
    VCDS Map User

mm mmm mmmm nice work fella, real nice work.

Always amazed at how good these guys are as well as the products use. The first shot of the sky man, that paintwork is glistening. I would be well proud of that.

Still debating on the DA Polisher but really considering it now....got to make my car look as half good as that!

16. themanthatcan

themanthatcan Member
    VCDS Map User

Thanks for all the great comments :thumbsup:

I asked Alex for a copy of his photos of the detail and what products he recommends to keep the car nice and shiney, and he's just sent me the email below:

17. vrbob

Cheers Andy just the info i wanted