Had a spin on the back of a R1 this afternoon!!

Reaction score
Well i had my spin on the back of the R1 and i have never felt speed like that!!

The guy siaid he could not give it full throttle most of the time as the front was lifting. I saw if lift two or three times!!

The top speed we hit was 171 and had to slow down for cars ahead. (on the digital speedo so not sure how accurate)

But all in all a great fun experience but i think i will wait till i am a bit older to own a bike as i think i would love the speed a little too much!!

Cheers.

171 ??!! ****** hell.

Still feel safe on a 4 wheels though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I did borrow some leathers, gloves and helmet probably not expensive ones or that. They all seemed to fit alright as he is of a similar size.

He did not drive like a maniac did very sensible overtaking etc and he knew the roads very well. His wife warned him to be careful!! I know it was a risk going very fast as you never know if something may happen. Tyre pop or another driver does summat stupid but that was the risk we took. It was a one off.

I will probably buy a bike when i get older and a bit more sensible as i would probably be a bit daft just now!!

Cheers for your wise words though.

[ QUOTE ]
wouldnt that of been the all too familiar story .... guy gets a ride from friend of a friend..... ends up being killed by a bloke he hardly knows, showing off.....
split second twitch and off..... at that speed youd be ...well you just explode, bet you wernt wearing leathers....bet the helmet you had on was borrowed and didnt fit propely.......
i was hit by a car and i had about 1800 quids worth of leathers and lid and i got proper mangled at about 35-40mph..........
im sorry to be a drag, i know its a lecture you dont want but take it from onr who knows..... you will realise how much the little things in life like blue sky and birdsong mean..when you think youll never see them again......fast bikes and cars are great but the road is a dangerous place.... not the place for white knuckle business...
take it easy....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Wise words...
I was launched skywards off my Fireblade at around 130MPH...18st flying through the air looking for a hard spot of tarmac to hit.
Not nice...
I broke more bones than I knew existed...weeks in hospital, months off work.
£1000 one piece leathers, £450 helmet (with £400 custom paintjob...just finished!), £100 irridium visor, £200 boots and £100 gloves...all for the skip.

Weeks on Morphine..
Months of pain...(broken ribs...in summer...with hayfever. Ouch!)
Many years of arthritis to come...
The rest of my life wonering why I wasn't killed.

The consultant informed me I had no right to be alive after the internal injuries and broken bones I had suffered...and even if I had survived...the best I could hope for was a wheelchair.

Then he informed me of the reason I am still here. I was wearing a back protector.
Had I not, I would be dead...
Apparently I am a 'very lucky young man'.

Makes you think doesn't it.

Says so much about buying the best gear available and making sure it fits like a glove.

I still miss the buzz...
Can't trust myself to go into a bike shop nowadays...
But I like living just a shade more.

Oh, and the bike only needed a front brake lever, rear brake lever, and 3 panels painting. Typical!

Its too easy to cause serious injury on a bike for a relatively minor incident... Coming off on a public road at those kind of speed your almost guaranteed not to survive as you will hit something that wont budge and more than likely snap you in half. I've done 130 on the back of my brothers Duc748 holding on for dear life (with a pillion harness thingy) and i'd never do it again. 170 is insane when taking someone elses life into your own hands especially on a bike not designed at all for passengers. just my opinion of course but its not something i would do. My dad came off his bike last year only at about 30mph and hit the side of a bridge and shattered his shoulder... if it had been a car skidded into the bridge, there would have been a dented wing and thats all!

Rich

Ive fallen off a couple of bikes before (all off road never going faster than 60) but never put one down on tarmac! I usually borrow my brothers bikes but hes giving me one for the summer to play with cos im thinking of investing. trying out the 600 RR.

Admitedly the fastest ive been on a bike is 155 but im fine with that! i would only ever test the top speed if i knew for a fact there were no other people on the long staright road infront of me!

Just had to invest in some new equip helmet, gloves, boots and jacket with full back protection.

Fingers crossed i have no accidents but to be honest im not and aggressive bike rider so i should be ok! (touch wood)

[ QUOTE ]

ess i know exactly what you went through... you must be a strong charactor.....

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest...they didn't tell me that they thought I'd broken my back twice...until it was proven it wasn't broken...just chipped bones! ...and many broken ribs!

Then the dumbfounded state sets in...why me? Lucky? Unlucky?

[ QUOTE ]

i beleive if i was any less the man i was, id would most certainly of lost my fight.
life changes big time after somthing like that.... people around me think im o.k now.....deep down, i know im not.
i always had a bike, since i was a kid.... i think the loss of this obsession i had has left a hole in me wich will never be filled again..... i just feel so cheated cos it wasnt the bike that hurt me.... it wasnt me or my riding......

[/ QUOTE ]

I hadn't always had bikes...in fact my 'blade was my first bike. Come to think of it...it was not the brightest move I made...
Still...I had it 6 years or so..

I kept the reg plate I had on my bike...just in case.
Refused top put it on anything other than another bike...or a 911. (not expecting either to happen)

When the opportunity came to get my 911...I used the plate. That was a coming of age moment...that's it now...the plate is on a car...and I've found something to fill the void left by the loss of my Fireblade!

...and deep down I know it WAS me that hurt me...I was out of my league...too fast, with lads that were faster than me...on a freshly re-built bike, tyres not scrubbed in properly etc.
Wake up call?...you bet!

[ QUOTE ]

i have a son now. theres no way i will ever ride a bike on the road again.
life is a delacate thing...here one minute, gone the next.....
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Same situation here...he's car daft...and as long as I can keep it that way...I'll be happy.
I guess one day he'll want a bike...then i'll knopw how my dad/mum felt when I bought one.

The first good sleep they got (when I wasn't wasn't away offshore) since me buying the bike...was the night I phoned to say I'd sold it.
Makes you think doesn't it...it's not just you it affects!

....very sad mate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif there's nothing anyone can really say to that. even harder with that request of the family - but you did them and your mate proud.

myzeneye, I am also pleased you are ok after your adventure.

Think this thread is living proof of how dangerous the roads can be to anyone. We've heard it a million times but it stands so true: metal can be replaced, lives can't. Fact.

Be safe everyone!

thats bad mate...... real bad. im sorry to hear that.
i have hundreds of bike tales and im afraid not many of them are good.
just recently up my way, three, yes three bikers two of whom i knew hit one of them dutch flower wagons....he came round the bend on an A road on the wrong side of the road, on his phone........ first bike hit, decapitated......second bike under the wheels, dead at the scene, third bike bailed but crashed bad...left with broken legs to crawl over to his mates only to discover their fates................................
how would anyone go on with life after witnessing that ?

my mate hit armourco and caved his head in.....took me a long time to get over that.

i keep telling my mates that one day, one off them is gonna be picking up peices of the other one in the middle of nowhere...... they just dont get it.....????

im not saying cars arnt bad, but i dont no anyone really who has been killed in a car crash.....i know far too many people who have been killed , cabbaged or hurt on bikes...ushally by car drivers.

Good to hear from you Ess3.

Couldn't agree more with what has been said on this subject. The thrill of speed, car or bike, is linked to the thrill of cheating death. Its a basic instinct.

The trouble is, humans have a wonderful ability to become accustomed to given levels of anything, and too many speed junkies end up on a path which can only end one way... when taking a corner at 60 mph is no longer thrilling, we take it at 65, then 70, and so on...

This forum is full to bursting with people bragging about how they burned off another car in a drag race from the lights, or how they left someone for dead down a country lane.

Sure, bikes are more vulnerable at speed, but the dangers apply to car drivers too. I'm not here to teach everyone how to suck eggs (as I know some of you are experienced drivers / instructors / club racers etc) but to everyone else - if you really want to push yourself and your motor to the limits, book a trackday. Not only will you realise how much left you have to learn, if you make a mistake you have a better chance of not killing yourself or other road users.

jeeze, horrific tales. I have just passed my test a month ago, mostly so I can do bike MOTs as much as anything else. I have an XV535 that was given to me in a box of bits that I have put back together. I fancied an R6 but these comments are putting things in perspective.

Am in simlar situation to khufu, passed test 6 weeks but got an r6 day after knowing what could happen but still went ahead anyway its a blast to ride but the first ride on the way home brought it home how easy it would be to come off it was pissin down,****** windy and the bike had a new bake tyre on it to say the least the back end was a little twitchy.

cheers, will do. Dad has been riding for over 40 years without hurting himself - will try to follow in his footsteps.

yes mate i used to love the old knee scratchin'..... the trick is, get right over off yer bike, say on a roundabout, latching the back of your left knee against the seat... hang right over with your knee out.... let the bike fall right over untill your knee hits the ground.... youll find that your knee will slide really easy and its suprising how much the bike becomes "proped up on your knee".....
this is a little rough, and when you first get your knee down, youl kak it and pop straight back up.... but find a nice secluded roundabout where you can do a few laps, maintain a constant speed and make sure your tyres are warm and sticky....
once youve perfected this crude roundabout method you can try it out on the twisty's.. in a real road riding style.. dont forget to practice left handers though !
once youve got this bagged youll be going through knee sliders like theres no tomorrow.
but remember ! when your low and movin fast.... your less likley to be seen. this really is best on the track mate.
i used to use a local industrial estate in the evenings or on a sunday morning when its less busy for practacing scratchin', wheelies, stoppies and the obligitory one handed burnout doughnuts.....
my bike was a 1200 bandit tricked up with renthals, twin spots.brembo's and a Remus carbon can and all the other bits and bobs.... riding this bike was like a rhinocerous doing ballet. made for trickin'.
still, it ended up snapped it half and embeded in a golf. now i dont ride at all.
miss it like hell... but not half as much as i miss walking without a limp.
take it real ...real easy mate.

a true rider can always be judged by the state of your tyres.......... scratchin round roundabouts all day will show like a saw thumb.... its one thing to have the wear on you tyres go off the edge of the rim, but to have it do that on both left and right sides is somthing else. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

once youve learnt the art off scratching, less able riding freinds will ask you to "wear down their sliders" ha ha ha ..and at 15-25 quid a pair ... youll be glad too.... they dont last long...... they may walk into the bar with their scuffed knees.... but the tyres tells it all........... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I'm almost 36, so my mental days are behind me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif. Cant really see me chucking it that low, especially on the xv535, the pegs will catch 1st LOL. I'll stick to the 'mirrors, lifesavers, painted surfaces and never overtaking near junctions'.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm almost 36, so my mental days are behind me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif. Cant really see me chucking it that low, especially on the xv535, the pegs will catch 1st LOL. I'll stick to the 'mirrors, lifesavers, painted surfaces and never overtaking near junctions'.

[/ QUOTE ]

until, that is, you realise you need a bigger and better bike in a year or so... then you'll get a Z750, then a GSXR750, then a Fireblade... by which time you will be a fully fledged maniac who thinks that because he slows to 30 in villages he is actually a very responsible chap indeed. Oh yes Khufu, just you wait and see /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]
yes mate i used to love the old knee scratchin'..... the trick is, get right over off yer bike, say on a roundabout, latching the back of your left knee against the seat... hang right over with your knee out.... let the bike fall right over untill your knee hits the ground.... youll find that your knee will slide really easy and its suprising how much the bike becomes "proped up on your knee".....
this is a little rough, and when you first get your knee down, youl kak it and pop straight back up.... but find a nice secluded roundabout where you can do a few laps, maintain a constant speed and make sure your tyres are warm and sticky....
once youve perfected this crude roundabout method you can try it out on the twisty's.. in a real road riding style.. dont forget to practice left handers though !
once youve got this bagged youll be going through knee sliders like theres no tomorrow.
but remember ! when your low and movin fast.... your less likley to be seen. this really is best on the track mate.
i used to use a local industrial estate in the evenings or on a sunday morning when its less busy for practacing scratchin', wheelies, stoppies and the obligitory one handed burnout doughnuts.....
my bike was a 1200 bandit tricked up with renthals, twin spots.brembo's and a Remus carbon can and all the other bits and bobs.... riding this bike was like a rhinocerous doing ballet. made for trickin'.
still, it ended up snapped it half and embeded in a golf. now i dont ride at all.
miss it like hell... but not half as much as i miss walking without a limp.
take it real ...real easy mate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yip that's the way to learn Ewan, until that is you realise that most roundabouts in the Strathclyde/Lothians area have a film of diesel dopositted from Strathclydes finest bus dept or you come face to face with a pothole in mid "scrape" or even a white line. The rule's the same for bikes as cars if you want to drive like a maniac keep it for the track, todays road surfaces and traffic just aint up to the job of crazy speeds on bikes anymore.

This all puts me in mind of a conversation a few years back with the owner of two wheels in Edinburgh he had started a weeks course for anyone buying a bike from him simply because he was loosing too many customers, he lost 9 customers in a month in the days when any Tom/**** and Harry was walking in with a pocketfull of disposeable income and buying the biggest fastest brightest machines he had then taking them out thinking they were Barry Sheen and writing themselves off.

Keep Safe

cheers Andy. I guess Im in denial about biking. I will paste this on my fridge as a reminder.

Bike%20Crash2.jpg