H1D Headlamps Bulb Replacement 3.0TDI A4 B7 quattro (without removing the bumper)

martynash

Ask ....I don't Bite....much!
Reaction score
A while back I posted a thread asking about H1D lamps flickering. It was suggested that I replace the bulbs I purchased 2 new bulbs at a very reasonable price from T8ups on the site here. Thanks very much:)

**Be careful if you attempt to replace these bulbs that you dissconnect the battery before you start as the voltages involved with H1D lights are quite high**

**Always replace H1D bulbs as a pair** (both sides)

It was intimated that the front bumper would have to removed, so I left the job until the flickering became very f****g annoying.
Before I took the bumper off, I had a good look at the job. (always a good thing to do). The offside was relatively straight forward after removing the air filter box and intake tubing the bulb could be replaced quite easily. The nearside although it looks impossible, can be done. Don't reassemble the offside, until you have replaced and tested the nearside bulb

To replace Nearside bulb: -
Remove the headlamp mounting bolts, incuding the recessed one on the outside with a long reach torx T30. This will allow you to move the headlamp forward about 20-25mm. Take the 10mm fixing bolt out of the PAS reservoir and without stretching it too much secure backwards with a bungee strap. Remove the 8mm nut from the reservoir behind the PAS bottle and this will give you about another 40-50mm clearance behind the headlamp. Using just the T20 torx 'stubby' bit and an 8mm ratchet spanner you can just about get to the 2 fixing screws for the rear headlamp bulb cover and remove them.
**Be very careful not to drop any tools or the screws at this point as you will have to remove the bumper to retreive them.**
Using the experience gained from replacing the offside bulb carefully remove the old bulb. When refitting the new bulb care must be taken not to lever the glass portion of the bulb inserting it round the tight corner to insert it. Refit the wiring beneath the bulb and the retaining clips.
BEFORE YOU REFIT EITHER REAR LAMP COVER OR ANY OF THE REMOVED ITEMS, reconnect the battery and check the operation of both the replaced bulbs.

Once you are happy all is well, refit all removed components and fixings. Job Done. Whole job took about 35-40 minutes.

This did cure the flickering issue;)

Hope this helps and saves a fair old cost at the repairers!!:arco:

Don't forget to get your bulbs from T8ups

Last edited:
Reactions: jdp1962