H/U suggestions?

Strick

Reaction score
OK, basically im looking to change the headunit in my 97 A4 and wondered if you guys may have any suggestions.
My criteria is that;
a) it need to be CD/MP3
b) i want a good brand such as Alpine
c) it has to have red illumination to match the dash
Thinking about the CDA9812RR as this meets all that, just wondered if anyone else had other suggestions before i go and order one.

On the up side- Alpine so the sound will be good and lots of functions (I believe the aux in is optional lead at around £11), however its an ugly looking thing imo- too clutered.

If you like the looks then you will love it- its a top unit as most Alpines are!

But not my thing- i'd probably go for another Alpine model as others have cleaner displays or something else eg Blaupunkt as have DAB radio or a Pioneer DEHP77MP as individual styling (If it suits your dash).

Listen to a few /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

imho

Ludicrous amount of clutter on the new Alpine's as well as a baffling array of functions, i.e. no treble or bass control, but about a million settings for bass EQ, phase shift, time error correction. A simple Bass control would've been nice. I think they still do a 3 day course on how to adjust the Bass on the new models.

Not ken on the look of the Becker, although they do look like they may well be good quality units.
I know what people mean about the controls on the Alpine units, things can get a little confusing, but i had a 9873 (i think that was it) in the last car and as jdp1962 says, you get used to it.

3 day course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

No way I would get used to this (see pic) I have a trusty old Nak and talk about opposites.

Had a look at the Alpine range on Car Audio Direct, from the pics there are some others which are better. Havent compared specs but what about the 9830 (bit cheaper) or 9831 (bit more). There is just too much going on in the 98122 imo, in an audi the other two, although not red, will blend better maybe.

Quote from the site on the the one you have chosen is good though:

Total Car Audio Magazine Awards 2003 - Best CD Unit £300-£400
"It's the little differences that set the CDA9812RB (Silver Version) apart from the crowd...The sound quality is great...and sharp aggressive looks round off an excellent package from Alpine"

Im just trying to help you decide, but I haven't seen it up close so maybe pics make it look worse. If you like it go for it, musically itll be good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Yeah, i think i need to get my **** to a stockist and see what they sound and look like in reality before making my mind up.
Cheers for the input fellas.

I have the 9812rr, quality is good. Still not totally convinced on the asthetics either, though it has grown on me. a little let down by tacky silver bits on the left hand side.

Also a little annoyance is that if you are listening to the radio and you eject a CD, it cuts the sound totally - truly bizarre /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif