1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H&R Sport Springs vs Eibach Pro-Kit

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Sayam, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Sayam

Sayam Active Member

[Jan 27, 2014]
    Good afternoon peeps

Ok so at the moment I'm not loving the car as much as I should be...the cruise control has been fitted and works beautifully (thanks Nigel) but the ride is too hard.

Next problem...the springs. As I do a lot of motorway mileage I find the current Eibach Sportline springs too harsh for the long journeys and want to change to something comfier.

The car is black edition and as far as I understand from factory is lowered approx 20mm compared to SE. The 2 options I've been looking at is H&R sport springs or Eibach pro-kit as the H&R OE springs would probably result in the dreaded factory arch/tyre gap returning.

The best way to describe my requirements is that the Sportlines are spot on, but in some instances I'd just wish the edge could be taken off.

The H&R website says the Sport springs lower between 37.5 and 45mm.

The Eibach Sportlines (currently on the car) lower between 42.5 and 57.7mm.

The Eibach Pro-Kit lower between 25 and 37.5mm.

So based on the above the Pro-Kit are the way forward however, I have no experience of spring rates and therefore can't assume the Pro-Kit will be more comfortable because the spring itself may be harsh in its damping effect?

I dunno, that's the limit of my knowledge of suspension hence I'm asking for advice.

Fire away...
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 25, 2014]

3. MAD_Adamski

MAD_Adamski Member

[Jan 27, 2014]
    i have no idea on the spring ratings on them but i have the eibach 30mm drop and am very pleased with them!
  4. smurfworth

smurfworth Well-Known Member

[Jan 27, 2014]
    H&R's are known to be a harder ride. i wouldn't lower it at all if your complaining about the ride comfort when on lowering springs.
  5. Gazwould

Gazwould Active Member

[Jan 27, 2014]
    Pro kit is comfy.

However ride quality comes from the dampers, I'd start there, especially if they are oem and been on there a while, even unleaking dampers weakness can be shown up especially by stronger springs.
  6. S3_Jacko

S3_Jacko Well-Known Member

[Jan 27, 2014]
    I had eibachs 30mm drop on my old A3 and the ride was harder than a whores heart! I've just purchased 25mm h&rs for the S3 and i'm hoping that the ride comfort isnt gonna be comprimised too much from the standard setup or they are going to be ripped back off again! I'm getting too old to worry about looks now... I want a comprimise of looks and comfort... Want to at least be able to drive my car an enjoy it!
  7. Sayam

Sayam Active Member

[Jan 27, 2014]
    Lol, the dilema is that although I want it comfy I also want to get rid of some of the arch gap that exists despite the sline/black edition suspension being approx 20mm lower than standard.

Gazwould, I'd love to swap the dampers but to be honest I haven't got the budget to do it, the car is on 100K but it's all motorway mileage.

I do genuinely love the ride with the sportlines (most of the time) like when you're coming off a slip road and there's a mahoosive board that says max speed 40/50mph and I can hold XXmph round the bend lol I love that stuff...just wish it was a touch softer.

Smurfworth that's the kind of info I'd like...if the H&R are known to be harsher than Eibach I may as well go with the pro kit?
    Rhyso likes this.
  8. Fanboy

Fanboy An Audi Fanboy

[Jan 27, 2014]
    H&r is a lot better, two of mates have them on their s3 and 3.2 v6 and both are happy, a bit pricy though...

I've got AP X coils on my 3.2 and I love the ride, lowered 60mm and still good and comfy ride :)

I suggest to go for coils as dampers will get ****ed soon if u just wanna change the springs... I've tried it myself and ****ed me over :keule:, the ride wasn't good also...
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  9. smurfworth

smurfworth Well-Known Member

[Jan 27, 2014]
    i wouldn't say you'll gain a huge amount of comfort in swapping to the pro kit. i had H&R springs on my sport dampers, i found the ride fine but became bouncy as the months went on, the car was only on 70k at the time.

Somehow i find ap coilovers comfier than the springs were, its slightly harder but more controlled so it doesn't appear rough and bouncy.

what size alloys do you have as the sidewall and wheel size effect the comfort more than changing suspension does
  10. c_w

c_w Well-Known Member

[Jan 27, 2014]
    As mentioned - and I would agree - generally speaking with similar spec springs it's the damper mainly that controls, and has a massive effect on, the ride. Lowering springs on the standard "Sport" dampers (which are really just normal dampers) isn't going to give a great ride, a stiffer damper can actually give a better ride like you find with the coilovers because everything's more controlled and just better "damped".
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  11. Sayam

Sayam Active Member

[Jan 28, 2014]
    Thank you everyone who has replied so far.

I had 19" with 225/35/19 but these might as well have been made from concrete, since then I've changed to 18" wheels with 225/40/18 they improved the comfort loads!

If I don't have the budget for springs and dampers would what do you think of just changing back to the factory black edition springs? And living with the arch gap...
  12. Fanboy

Fanboy An Audi Fanboy

[Jan 28, 2014]
    Yeah but how much would be the gap... 10mm is usual!
  13. Persian

Persian CEO

[Jan 28, 2014]
    Save up and get coils I made the mistake and went with lowering springs (H&R) and now my stock dampers/shocks are gone terrible over a hump real slow yet car feels like a bouncy castle!
  14. DPM

DPM Site Sponsor Site Sponsor

[Jan 28, 2014]
    Between H&R and Eibach springs I'd personally go for the Eibachs.

Damian @ DPM Performance