1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H&R lowering springs on B6 1.9TDI on original dampers.

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by gkf9, Oct 21, 2011.

1. gkf9

gkf9 Member

Starting to get the modding bug.... Would it be ok to fit H&R lowering springs on my B6 with the original damper's?
    The car as done 119,000 miles mostly motorway miles.
    It is A4 b6 1.9TDI 100 sport.

Thanks.
  2. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

It will be 'ok'. In an ideal world it would be better to swap the shocks too, especially if you're paying someone to do it as the labour cost will be the same. But if finances prevent that then you'll be ok, it might just reduce the life of your exisiting shocks a bit, and they won't work with the new springs quite so well.
  3. gkf9

gkf9 Member

Yeah I know what you saying, but yes finances are a bit tight at the moment, would just like the low look the cheapest way possible.

Thanks.
  4. CMD

CMD Pointing Forward's!!!!!!!!!

Save until next year (spring) and then get the shocks & spring's done then
  5. quattrojames

I know what you're saying, I put springs on mine a few weeks ago and kept the shocks and it's fine.
  6. gkf9

gkf9 Member

Yeah would like to do that, but I'm not the best saver and would probably end up buying something else and not get round to the suspension at all.
  7. gkf9

gkf9 Member

How much am I likely to pay for fitting? Please don't say fit them yourself I haven't got the tools nor the confidence. Plus might not go down to well with the wife spending money on car. :)
  8. quattrojames

Ballpark of somewhere between £100-200..
  9. vr6gordy

vr6gordy Active Member

i put h and r on my cab with standard shocks all is fine .. the handling is awesome and a very good ride not hard at all .. if you do it your self watch out the the dreaded bolt .... i didnt undo it i took of the hub nut the the break discs and undid the lower ball joints and took it off that way much easyier then trying to undo the bolt and only took 3 hours to do all 4 springs . back ones are so dam easy long as you got the right spring clamps
  10. gkf9

gkf9 Member

Would I have to have all the geometry set up if I put lowering springs on?

Again thanks.
  11. quattrojames

I didn't no. No real need to as I don;t think any of the parts you undo are adjustable.
  12. gkf9

gkf9 Member

Ok thanks James.
    Got a price off Awesome £408 fitted, did say these were the most expensive ones tho.

Just been looking at my car, and it is quite low already ( more so at the rear ) just hope the springs won't make it to low if I go ahead?
  13. quattrojames

Just be aware that the quoted suspension drops on springs are from standard SE height, a Sport is 20mm lower than that already, so a quoted 30mm drop will only give you a 10mm drop.
  14. gkf9

gkf9 Member

Thanks for that QJ that was going to be my next question, so if I went with some 35mm drop I would be lowering it by 15mm that would be great, don't know about the rear tho, might be to low, I don't want the arc covering the wheel. I will have to have a measure tomorrow.
  15. DPM

DPM Well-Known Member Site Sponsor

With the car having 119000 miles I'd say change the shocks while your at it as they won't last much longer with lowering springs.

You also always need to get the alignment checked after fitting any suspension part and especially one that lowers the car.

Sometimes doing things the cheaper way to start with end up costing more in the long run.

Damian @ DPM Performance