1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gunk in oil

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by Biddy, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Biddy

Biddy Member

Hi all more probs got 18 turbo 51plate just had all water system flushed and all bleed fine heater still runs hot one min warm next as it did before flush but went to check oil tonight and lots of mayo in dipstick hole i know dip stick holder is broke so dont know if water went in when flushed system through but dip stick coverd in mayo. No oil in water and temp sits on 90 all the time do about 20 miles aday in it also notice took oil filler cap off no mayo on that but when car got warm a milky film on cap appeard any ideas
  2. Biddy

Biddy Member

Help
  3. Monty1

Monty1 New Member

do you have steam coming from the exhaust, if so it could be the head gasket on its wayout, you could get a pressure test done at a garage to check.
  4. Biddy

Biddy Member

Hi mate no steam just normal exhaust smoke and no loss off water
  5. Monty1

Monty1 New Member

you could check to see if your getting back pressure, after you park up leave the car to cool for 20 minutes then slowly take the cap of the expansion tank and see if you have any pressure there.

so nice and SLOW mate
  6. Alan H

Alan H Need a V8 or Bi-Turbo.......

Are you only doing short journeys?
  7. Biddy

Biddy Member

Yes about 20 mile aday ten in morning and then ten at night
  8. Alan H

May just be condensation in the oil due to the cold weather we've had. When was the oil last changed?
  9. Biddy

Biddy Member

Only had car 2 months so dont know mate been no gunk last time i checked oil and as i say not loosingwater temp is ok only thing done recently was new rad and all system flushed still not very good heater in it tho
  10. Alan H

Heating system sounds like it could do with bleeding again. Gunky oil doesn't always mean that the hg is fubar'd. The gunk could be for a number of reasons.

As you don't know when the oil was changed, I would get a gallon of glug and a filter, get it changed and monitor over the next week.

I have to be honest, you don't see many threads about head gaskets going on the 1.8t's

The usual issue with them is sludge build up from poor or infrequent oil changes / maintenance causing the dreaded red oil warning light.

I'm no technician, and I'm only speaking from experience but doing an oil and filter change would be what I'd do first.
  11. Biddy

Biddy Member

Ok will change and see wat happens cheers
  12. Biddy

Biddy Member

Hi all update on gunk prob not done oil change yet but took breather hoses off and valve all of them gunked up with black oily sludge and mayo sludge could this be prob with gunk in oil as oil was gunk free couple of weeks ago as i say i only do 20 mile a day to and from work
  13. Biddy

Biddy Member

Any ideas anyone
  14. duffy78

duffy78 Member

Oily sludge in the breather pipes is quite common on the 1.8t engine.

Just google 1.8t sludge or 1.8t pick up pipe.

I've just cleaned out and replaced as necessary all my breather pipes. Also had my pick up pipe replaced, oil pump replaced and my sump cleaned out after getting a low oil pressure warning.
  15. Biddy

Biddy Member

Would that cause the prob with gunk mayo in oil
  16. duffy78

duffy78 Member

Wouldn't cause it. The gunk is a symptom. It's likely your crank case valve has gunned open allowing moisture enriched oil back into the sump pan via the return on the breather pipes that attached to the top of the oil filter housing.

The sludge in the sump is the oil cooking in the turbo once the engine has been turned off which then goes back into the sump via the return pipe. This then blocks the pick up pipe screen.

What you have to realise is the sump on these engines is tiny. Not a lot of oil to go around. The turbo is oil cooled as well as lubricated. The cams don't run in bearings, they run straight on the head in oil. So if anything interferes with the oil supply the engines lunch themselves pretty quickly.