1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guess that noise again!

Whorpheus Nov 13, 2007

1. Whorpheus

Whorpheus Member

Was hoping someone could help diagnose some noise's on my 2001 A3 Tdi 130.

1. Between 15 and 30 mph, their is a low pitch howling/whirring noise which fades when accelerating, but returns when cruising at 50 to 60 mph. The noise also winds down to the slowing speed of the car when coming to a stop.

2. Occasionly when pulling away at junctions with the wheel turned, i hear a vbration/shudder.

3. When cueing in traffic on a hill, and i roll out of gear, i hear a light grinding sound at low speed, but again stops when i speed up.

I have had the front bearings replaced 4 month's ago, and asked a local mechanic to try and diagnose the
    howling/whirring sound, but he thought nothing sounded out of the ordinary when he drove the car....

Its been puzzling me for a while now and would like to try and diagnose them.

Looking through the forum i see slightly similar problems, but not my exact symptoms, any suggestions appreciated!

2. Aky

Aky Aky

Rear bearings?

3. shineydave

shineydave Member

sounds like the inside surface of your rear discs could be corroded, they're hard to check because of the stone sheild.

4. madvw

madvw Active Member

I think it sounds like rear bearings too. Jack it up and give them a wobble to see if there's any play.

5. Whorpheus

Whorpheus Member

Sorry i should have mentioned on my post that the howling/whirring noise is distinctivley coming from the front.
    I thought maybe the vibration i get sometimes when pulling away could be CV joints??

Will try to get the disc's checked, sounds likely now you mention it.

6. madvw

madvw Active Member

worn rear bearings have a habit of sounding like its coming from the front.

7. bachamp

bachamp New Member

well, why we are talking about noise,
    I have a strange noise coming from the engine area of my 2001 A3 1.8T

It is like a low rumble noise, seems to happen most when the turbo is working, and only happens at low rpm (under 3000) and when accelerating.

I thought it could be either the Turbo, or the exhaust when it reaches a cretin frequency.

8. Whorpheus

Whorpheus Member

Located the humming noise today when opening the bonnet after a short journey.

Turns out to be eminating from the cambelt/fan belt area! So maybe the tensioner or a pulley possibly. But should be able to rectify it now.

Thanks for all suggestions though.
    :o.k:
    Cheers.

9. big_mo

big_mo MOSES

How eles can you tell with out pulling the rear bout and the noise.

Iv just had my front 2 done and still get a slite bearing noise still. Also had to have a new hub coz they broke the other 1 getting the bearing out

10. markcnash

markcnash New Member

I to had the same sort of sound in a VW passat 1.9 tdi coming from the front, I had a few people look at it and could not find a thing. It turned out to be just the turbo I could hear at low revs.
    You know what its like you hear a noise and the brain starts running away thinking of how much that might cost this time ! :jump:

11. bouncer--daz

bouncer--daz A dog is for life....not just for friday nights!

i had a noise similar too this which would stop with the pedal down and start again when cruising.... the gear box packed up a few days later...