Guess that noise again!

Whorpheus

Reaction score
Was hoping someone could help diagnose some noise's on my 2001 A3 Tdi 130.

1. Between 15 and 30 mph, their is a low pitch howling/whirring noise which fades when accelerating, but returns when cruising at 50 to 60 mph. The noise also winds down to the slowing speed of the car when coming to a stop.

2. Occasionly when pulling away at junctions with the wheel turned, i hear a vbration/shudder.

3. When cueing in traffic on a hill, and i roll out of gear, i hear a light grinding sound at low speed, but again stops when i speed up.

I have had the front bearings replaced 4 month's ago, and asked a local mechanic to try and diagnose the
howling/whirring sound, but he thought nothing sounded out of the ordinary when he drove the car....

Its been puzzling me for a while now and would like to try and diagnose them.

Looking through the forum i see slightly similar problems, but not my exact symptoms, any suggestions appreciated!

I think it sounds like rear bearings too. Jack it up and give them a wobble to see if there's any play.

Sorry i should have mentioned on my post that the howling/whirring noise is distinctivley coming from the front.
I thought maybe the vibration i get sometimes when pulling away could be CV joints??

Will try to get the disc's checked, sounds likely now you mention it.

worn rear bearings have a habit of sounding like its coming from the front.

well, why we are talking about noise,
I have a strange noise coming from the engine area of my 2001 A3 1.8T

It is like a low rumble noise, seems to happen most when the turbo is working, and only happens at low rpm (under 3000) and when accelerating.

I thought it could be either the Turbo, or the exhaust when it reaches a cretin frequency.

Located the humming noise today when opening the bonnet after a short journey.

Turns out to be eminating from the cambelt/fan belt area! So maybe the tensioner or a pulley possibly. But should be able to rectify it now.

Thanks for all suggestions though.
:o.k:
Cheers.

madvw said:
worn rear bearings have a habit of sounding like its coming from the front.

How eles can you tell with out pulling the rear bout and the noise.

Iv just had my front 2 done and still get a slite bearing noise still. Also had to have a new hub coz they broke the other 1 getting the bearing out

I to had the same sort of sound in a VW passat 1.9 tdi coming from the front, I had a few people look at it and could not find a thing. It turned out to be just the turbo I could hear at low revs.
You know what its like you hear a noise and the brain starts running away thinking of how much that might cost this time ! :jump:

i had a noise similar too this which would stop with the pedal down and start again when cruising.... the gear box packed up a few days later...