**Group Buy** Quattro tie arms

Status
Not open for further replies.
jojo - thanks for the reply. I was thinking that maybe Dave's bars were slightly thicker. Hopefully Dave may be able to confirm all of this.

You could also fit the tie arms to the top and leave the bottom arms as existing, then they would be no probs with the sensor arm.

Mark

jojo - thanks for the reply. I was thinking that maybe Dave's bars were slightly thicker. Hopefully Dave may be able to confirm all of this.

Only his first versions(I have a set) were thicker, the powder coated versions you could clamp the sensor around it.

Pmd Sly...

Ok we have an issue, some people have ordered and are not from the uk, eg Aussie and new zealand,..spain, greece ect, while this is not a problem i will have to sort a separate shipping fee out, you can not expect them to be the same postage as the uk, eg aussie £65!!
so all non uk will need to pm me as i have not got time to go through the list to see where everybody is from...if shipping is found to be to expensive, i will of course refund you...
Thanks...

Hi Dave,
full payment has been sent along with my address, can't wait to get these fitted with my coil overs!
Thanks again for doing this for the group, you're a legend.
All the best,
Callum.

Reactions: s3dave
Dave

tie bars received !!!!!! they look the part, very well packed... great thanks

top or bottom fitment? opinions on where is the best.

bottom would be easyer to fit.

thanks again

Mark

Reactions: s3dave
top or bottom fitment? opinions on where is the best.

Personally I think of it like this; when you lower the car with the original tie bars, you get more -ve camber. (We all know that, which is why we're on this group buy.) This is because the OEM geometry of the rear suspension results in the top of the wheel moving through a tighter arc than the bottom as the suspension compresses. Hence the main issue is that the top of the wheel is permanently angled too far inwards when the car is lowered.

So, to correct that problem, the upper arm needs to be made slightly longer; and therefore I will be using the adjustable arms to replace the upper standard items.

If any of you are also into RC cars like myself, you will be familiar with this effect, which happens when you run a shorter rear turnbuckle vs a longer one. Shorter upper arm = more camber change under suspension load.

Reactions: superkarl
Hi Dave,

How's the stock looking for these?

I'll be making the remaining payment on the 28th for the 2 arms. Just wondered if you have them available to send out after the payment has been sent, or you are waiting for some more items/bushes to come in?

Cheers

Chris

Personally I think of it like this; when you lower the car with the original tie bars, you get more -ve camber. (We all know that, which is why we're on this group buy.) This is because the OEM geometry of the rear suspension results in the top of the wheel moving through a tighter arc than the bottom as the suspension compresses. Hence the main issue is that the top of the wheel is permanently angled too far inwards when the car is lowered.

So, to correct that problem, the upper arm needs to be made slightly longer; and therefore I will be using the adjustable arms to replace the upper standard items.

If any of you are also into RC cars like myself, you will be familiar with this effect, which happens when you run a shorter rear turnbuckle vs a longer one. Shorter upper arm = more camber change under suspension load.

I hear what you are saying Paul, but from a geometry point of view, it makes more sense to put them at the bottom, the toe adjustment is more happier with them at the bottom. Also, your theory of the camber with the shorter arm on top, so you stick them on the top to make them longer, if you stick them at the bottom, you shorten the lower one to correct camber, so it's the same thing!! Lol

There's no real right or wrong at the end of the day, personal preference really.

Apart from the fact that I'm right, of course...!

C'mon JoJo, just admit it.

Re. toe adjustment, are you saying that with them on the top you can't get the toe to the right angle?

Apart from the fact that I'm right, of course...!

C'mon JoJo, just admit it.

Re. toe adjustment, are you saying that with them on the top you can't get the toe to the right angle?

I'm saying it's difficult to get parallel toe with the bars on top, because you have pushed the trailing arms out wards from the manufacturers specs, but if you stick them at the bottom, to pull the trailing arms inwards, then the toe adjustment is easier. That's if you choose to run parallel toe, I run factory toe for the sake of safety incidentally.

Regarding the top and bottom theory Paul, I believe the part numbers are the same for top and bottom factory arms, which means they are the same length. The camber happens because the mounting holes are closer together at the diff end of fitment. What you are saying is, the camber happens because the upper arm is shorter, so the natural geometry of how it's all bolted together mean by extending the upper arms, you get less of the camber effect with suspension compression. What I am saying is, if you stick them at the bottom, and shorten them to correct camber, the top ones will still be longer than the bottom ones, so in effect, the same thing happens when you stick them top or bottom, correct?

What it comes down to is toe adjustment, and whether you want the extra wide track that fitting them at the top gives? Fitting at the bottom is also easier on a set of axles stands outside your home.

Again, it's all personal preference. :icon_thumright:

Full payment now sent, address included in the paypal notes.

Thanks, Kyle

I'm saying it's difficult to get parallel toe with the bars on top, because you have pushed the trailing arms out wards from the manufacturers specs, but if you stick them at the bottom, to pull the trailing arms inwards, then the toe adjustment is easier. That's if you choose to run parallel toe, I run factory toe for the sake of safety incidentally.

Regarding the top and bottom theory Paul, I believe the part numbers are the same for top and bottom factory arms, which means they are the same length. The camber happens because the mounting holes are closer together at the diff end of fitment. What you are saying is, the camber happens because the upper arm is shorter, so the natural geometry of how it's all bolted together mean by extending the upper arms, you get less of the camber effect with suspension compression. What I am saying is, if you stick them at the bottom, and shorten them to correct camber, the top ones will still be longer than the bottom ones, so in effect, the same thing happens when you stick them top or bottom, correct?

What it comes down to is toe adjustment, and whether you want the extra wide track that fitting them at the top gives? Fitting at the bottom is also easier on a set of axles stands outside your home.

Again, it's all personal preference. :icon_thumright:

Yeah but I still prefer 6 rather than half a dozen... :think:

What it comes down to is toe adjustment, and whether you want the extra wide track that fitting them at the top gives?

Does this mean that pulling them in from the bottom keeps the track standard? Or is this narrower?

Does this mean that pulling them in from the bottom keeps the track standard? Or is this narrower?

Technically, it narrows the track slightly, but as you lower the car the bottoms go outwards and the tops go inwards, so I'd stay is stays almost the same as factory, someone needs to measure this to make sure! :laugh:

Hi Dave,

How's the stock looking for these?

I'll be making the remaining payment on the 28th for the 2 arms. Just wondered if you have them available to send out after the payment has been sent, or you are waiting for some more items/bushes to come in?

Cheers

Chris
Hi Chris, they are going out in order they were paid, and that is a week behind at the moment, im hoping all that have paid will have them within 2 weeks..
cheers

Reactions: kwistof
Dave, Would you sell the poly bushes on their own?
i would like to replace mine on the standard pair of arms.

1. Chaz20vt (chaz) x1 red
2. kwistof (chris) x2 blue
3. Chriss385 (chris) x1 yellow
4. Scotty_24 x1 Red
5. Bad Sir Culation x1 blue (deposit paid)
6. bigray x1 yellow
7. CMcKenzie (Callum) x1 Red
8. Shotbybilly x 1 Blue
9. crispynz1 (Christian) x 1 Black
10. ToonRing-G (Grant) x 1 Yellow
11. micky2not1 (marcus) x 2 blick (deposit paid)
12. blackbox (Simon) x 1 Black
13. Epox (Mark) x 1 Black (Paid in Full Thanks)
14.Marston (chris) x 1 black
15. The Doctor (Paul) x1 Yellow
16. Westcoast a3 (scott) x2 red (deposit paid) (*paid in full)
17. lovemelongtime (martin) x 1 red
18. Sssline (Mo) x2 yellow please
19. Golfer1991 (Federico) x1 black
20. AVLO (Matt) 1x red please, full amount will be sent shortly.
21. Blake. 1x Red (Deposit paid, Thanks).
22. Kyle_TT 1 x Red (deposit paid)
23. Vala (Dan) 1 x Black (deposit paid) Thanks.
24. Dale_88 1 x Black (deposit paid) Thanks.
25. Stevofoz 2 x Red (deposit paid)
26. Lavis89 Blue x 1
27. PhilGQS

Just paid the rest of the funds into your account now Dave for 2 sets of the blue tie arms.

Look forward to receiving them.

Cheers

Chris

Payment sent for yellow tie arms looking forward to receiving them cheers chris

4. Scotty_24 x1 Red
6. bigray x1 yellow
8. Shotbybilly x 1 Blue
23. Vala (Dan) 1 x Black (full amount paid) Thanks.
26. Lavis89 Blue x 1
27. PhilGQS

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391163485615361

Received :)
Many thanks to Dave

Reactions: ToonRing-G, kwistof, voorhees and 1 other person
4. Scotty_24 x1 Red
6. bigray x1 yellow
8. Shotbybilly x 1 Blue
23. Vala (Dan) 1 x Black (full amount paid) Thanks.
26. Lavis89 Blue x 1
27. PhilGQS[/QUOTE]
28. Coolspot007007 x 1 black (fully paid, thanks)

Only just managed to find this thread!

Really could do with a pair myself for my newly acquired Audi TT Quattro.
Don't suppose theres still enough time for me to get on this at all? I have the full amount kicking about in my PayPal account, burning one tremendous hole right now.

Tried PM'ing you S3Dave, but not sure if it went through or not.
If you could let me know whether you got it or not, that'd be great. Like I said, super interested in getting a pair from you!

Again, apologies for being so late on this!

GROUP BUY FINISHED

Reactions: CMcKenzie, sssline, westcoast a3 and 1 other person
Status
Not open for further replies.