grining noise from wheels when they spin!?!

JB_A3_Turbo

Reaction score
It's always more apparmet on wet roads and icey. If i'm stationary and try to move off briskly so that the wheels spin I get an accompanying grinding noise coming from the wheels (front of the car- either side). I haven't got any form of traction control only ABS is fitted.

Can anyone answer what this is? I had an experience where I was parked on wet grass the wheels span sightly and I got this strange noise. Looking on the grass afterwards only the right hand side wheel had dug into the grass the other side hadn't?

My lights also dim slightly when i get this noise (which suggests it's activated something electrical). It only happens when moving off and as the wheels loose traction , not once I'm driving along at a decent speed.

I'ts a standard 1.8T with only ABS nothing else special. I have not buttons or lights for traction.

This morning with all the snow it was happening all the time when moving off!!!

My golf does this too. I thinks its to do with the abs, it started doing it about a year ago and a few weeks later the abs and brakes fasiled (eeek), it was a wheel speed sensor.

so I am expecting it to be the same ting when it makes its mind up to fail!!
Its like a sort of "twanging grinding vibraty" sort of noise, aint it?

oh mine only does it at low speed too, when they sping up and higer speed (60+) I cannot hear it.

I get this too and was gona put a post up asking if anyone knew what it was.

Sam

It seems to come form the bulkhead in the centre of the dash area..........I think it may even be the ABS pump whiring!

Although I suspect a wheel sensor fault is causing it cos it happened to me before!!

hi
i still think it will be the EDL function as i poorly explained before when you posted a similar question, i sure EDL is fitted to all pre facelift 1.8t without 'proper' traction control

'Gti Jazz Blue' off uk-mkivs explained it as

"The EDL function is only there if one of the front wheels looses traction not both. It is effectivly an electronic limited slip diff up to 25 MPH. So say your left wheel has no traction and so is spinning away the power (no LSD so the diff will transfer the power to the spinning wheel) the ABS detects this (ABS wheel sensors showing different speeds) and so it brakes the spinning wheel so that the diff sends the power to the wheel with traction.
No lights show just that odd twang farting noise."

Well I never. that could well be it!! I never knew that!
cheers bud

Yes thanks, my car appears to have EDL. This website below allows you to type in all your equipment codes (from inside you audi or VW book). It'll then tell you what they all mean and what you have fitted to you car (not sure if it's been posted before- but useful all the same)

http://igorweb.org/equidec/Default.aspx

Also found this explanation:

Where: Starting from 1996 on Audi A4/S4, Audi A6/S6, Audi A8/S8 with both manual and automatic transmissions. Also on VW Passat B5 4motion. Manually locking rear differential replaced by Electronic Differential Lock (Difflock imitation, detects wheelspin via ABS sensors and applies brakes to spinning wheels thus transferring torque via open differential to another wheel which has more traction)[1]. EDL works at speeds up to 40 km/h (25 mph), on more powerful versions such as S4/S6/S8 - up to 80 km/h (50 mph). In addition to EDL, Audi A8/S8 limits engine rpm when excessive wheelspin occurs."

Hi guys

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I have the same problem when pulling away from rest.

Garage has changed speed sensor and have new tyres to no avail. Not sure of next steps. They want to send abs unit for analysis but this'll cost £200!

It's an 8L A3 quattro. Thanks

well reading the above osts i would guess this is normal if your wheels spin, if mine do at low speeds i get the same noise,

If your car makes this noise and your wheels dont spin then its up to Audi to find out what is wrong

Thanks

Sorry - should've been more specific. It happens everytime I pull away from stationary.
If I'm rolling, then its ok. But when I stop and pull away, there's the grinding noise and I have to accelerate to overcome it.

If I'm rolling, no matter how slowly, then accelerate, it's fine.

I want to replace the other speed sensor but the garage reckon if it's this, it should show a fault. Is this correct?