1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grinding whilst turning (lots of detail)

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Lavis89, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Lavis89

Lavis89 Active Member Regional Rep

[Feb 13, 2012]
    Car: 2002 1.8T quattro sport.
    I've had this problem for a while now, not really sure what is causing it. the jist of it is im getting a grinding noise when i am full left lock and moving, the noise only happens if i touch the acelerator though, if i coast on full lock then i dont have a problem. that for me would rule out any c/v problems (and all the boots are intact aswell), as far as i know if a wheel bearing is on its way then it will grind whilst going straight aswell, i've replaced the bottom mount on the engine which didn't help. from inside the car the noise sounds like it is coming from the rear left side.
    would it be worth replacing the top mounts aswell? and would i need to get the car on ramps to do so?
    and any other suggestions would be welcomed aswell. im a bit lost :/ i've had all the "doughnuts" checked and they are all in good condition.
    and is it worth paying out a bit extra for powerflex mounts if i do need to replace them?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 28, 2014]

3. Danman1

Danman1 Thorough noob

[Feb 13, 2012]
    When was your last Haldex oil and filter change?

Dan
  4. Lavis89

[Feb 13, 2012]
    i've only had the car for 6 months or so, it does have quite a bit of service history though so i'll have to check when im in work
  5. Lavis89

[Feb 20, 2012]
    right a bit more info here, i took it on a good 200 mile round trip at the end of last week and the grinding is still there when acelerating out of a corner but alot less loud and less vibration. i checked the service history and nothing is mentioned about haldex oil, there is oil change mentioned but haldex isn't mentioned on any recipts or anywhere in the book.
  6. Jimgrim77

Jimgrim77 Member

[Feb 20, 2012]
    Check the front wishbone bushes.
  7. A4sportMrT

A4sportMrT Member

[Oct 4, 2013]
    Is it possible to resurrect this thread.. as I have the same noise on my A4 sport. I would ask the dealers but may aswell ask the experts first and get it sorted by the dealer :)