1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grinding sound while steering

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Cauz88, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Cauz88

Cauz88 New Member

[Jan 2, 2012]
    All

I have recently noticed a grinding sound present while parking and steering. It only happens at parking speeds so when full locking the steering etc as opposed to steering while taking an island.

The power steering light also came up once or twice, while drivig normally down a dual carriage way and then went away.

I have had the car 6 months, it started happening around 2/3months ago

Any ideas?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Feb 1, 2015]

3. ColganRaz

ColganRaz Member

[Jan 3, 2012]
    CV joints?, this is just a shot in the dark, it would most likely make noises doing any kind of turning after 6 months rather than just on full lock if it was the joints, thats all that I can think of really...
  4. Cauz88

Cauz88 New Member

[Jan 3, 2012]
    Thanks for the reply it's much appreciated. One idea versus none is a good start!
  5. Khufu

Khufu Well-Known Member

[Jan 3, 2012]
    noisy cv joints wouldn't put the power steering light on. It could be the rack hence the light. The early racks are known to fail though its usually a creaking noise. You could try a search of the forum to check if anybody else has has the same symptoms.
  6. Cauz88

Cauz88 New Member

[Jan 3, 2012]
    Yeah it is more of a creaking noise. To be honest the feeling I got and the times the noise is present it could be more along the steering rack lines. If it was the steering rack, how much am i looking do you have any ideas? Ill keep the thread updated thanks for the input!
  7. IceHanger

IceHanger Active Member

[Jan 3, 2012]
    Could be your power steering system itself mine "wurrs" on parking manoeuvres so would suggest it's an electrical type...I've yet to have a poke to find out whose system and what variety it is (ie Column driving or rack driven electric motor) I'm pretty sure it doesn't feel hydraulically as there's minimal catch up......anyone shed any light?

Noise on steering systems can very hard to track down...but from what you said it could be the unit itself (assuming it's electrical) not giving full assistance and partuallly dropping out...which may may put the light on...there should be faults loggeed something like "EPS voltage low" or such maybe for the Audi systems. If you find out post the code description and I should be able to find out for you.

IH
  8. IceHanger

IceHanger Active Member

[Jan 3, 2012]
    Just to add a creaking rack wont put your steering light on...unless it's very loose!! but you'd have a wibbly car there
  9. Aaron Newton

Aaron Newton New Member

[Jan 3, 2012]
    I have a 2011 A3 2.0 TFSI. have I get a funny sound on full lock and it have been like this since new. Should i be getting it checked?