1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grinding noise when cornering - ARB on driveshaft even when turning left?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by JDover, Mar 22, 2010.

1. JDover

JDover Member

When i turn full lock to the right, i can hear the ARB on the driveshaft, not too much of a problem right now but, when i turn to the left, i also get a similar sound except its higher pitched and louder, i happens when cornering normally but not on full lock.

My first thought was worn bushes or the ARB again but i just don't know now, It never used to do it, i only noticed it last night.

Until Tuesday when i can get under and have a butchers, does anybody have any obvious signs to look for or know what the problem is? I think i need to replace the lower wishbones as well, wheres the cheapest place to get them from? Euro car parts? or Audi direct?

What ARB's would people recommend? i don't have shed loads of money to throw at ARB's. i did hear somewhere that you can buy adjustable drop links that will take the ARB further away from the driveshaft? if this is true, where can i get them or is it better just to change the ARB's for upgraded units that solve the problem?

I have been searching and only got more confused, If anybody could help me out here it would be greatly appreciated.
  2. JDover

JDover Member

Nobody?

I don't want to waste money on adjustable drop links if there not going to work and for the next couple of months i cant afford new ARB's so i need something to get me outta trouble for a bit, I know i could just raise the car up but..that's not the way its done :)
  3. Prawn

Prawn My other car is a MINI!!!!

Save your money, adjustable drop links DON'T work.

I recently fitted a set of coilies to an A3, the owner supplied adjustable drop links as well. I found they had to be at their shortest setting to clear the ARB, making them longer made the problem worse.
  4. Prawn

Prawn My other car is a MINI!!!!

as for ARB's, the best for the A3 without question is the eibach kit, 22mm front and 25mm rear. available from venom motorsport.

Anything with a smaller rear bar isn't worth getting, as it simply won't be as good!
  5. mattyboy199

mattyboy199 Active Member

sounds like the power steering pipe
  6. JDover

JDover Member

Power steering pipe :s Easy fix?

will the eibach kit defiantly stop the ARB humping the drive shaft? if so i'll get em ordered.
  7. Welly

Welly VX220 SC Driver :)

I completely agree with Prawn - except I would go with the Whiteline ARB available from DPM Motorsport.

Anyway, thats academic.

ARB bushes? Audi dealer. £2 each. Job done.
  8. Welly

Yes, as will the Whiteline. The Whiteline ARB is desgined on the S3's ARB which goes UNDER the shaft, not over.
  9. JDover

JDover Member

ok cool, last thing, If i order the whiteline ARB from DPM can i only change the front for the time being? OR do i have to change the rear as well?

And where is this power steering pipe? the noise does not sound good :(
  10. JD09

JD09 I'm not modding, I'm improving

From what I've been told, it will muck up your handling if you just fit one or the other.
  11. Welly

I just fitted the front one on my A3 and she still handles like a beast! In fact the handling was far superior to the standard ARB with just the front one fitted.