Grinding/knocking at low speed

Amchlolor

Reaction score
Righto gents, I'm getting a grinding and knocking noise from the front of the car, most noticeable at crawling speed.
Once you get past crawling speed, it seems to disappear, or just gets covered by the general noise of increased speed.
Wheel bearing?

If the noise only happens when you turn left, then its probably the steering rack, a common fault on the A3 and S3. Otherwise it could be a knackered CV joint, or as you mention, wheel bearing :icon_thumright:

It doesn't seem to be restricted to turning.
I've noticed it when crawling in traffic, in a straight line.
Your CV joint sounds a possibility, as something reminds me that they replaced a CV boot at the last service...
Tks.

yup, wheel bearing it is, the fronts grind/knock at low speed, higher speeds they drum, rears drum the whole time

Let me know what dealer says, they still won't admit a problem to me

bacardi said:
yup, wheel bearing it is, the fronts grind/knock at low speed, higher speeds they drum, rears drum the whole time

Let me know what dealer says, they still won't admit a problem to me

I noticed a high pitched 'whine' when slowing down last night too.
The wife wasn't in the car, so I'm definitely going wheel bearing.
I'm assuming it won't be covered by warranty, so I'm loathe to put it in.
It's going back to the lease company in a few weeks, so I might just leave it to be their problem.

To be honest, While I've had 13 wheel bearings on my A3, none have actually failled to the point of breakdown, I guess that I've probably covered 5-7k miles on a set that were on the way out, simply because of the dealers insistence that nothing was wrong, so leaving 3-4 weeks rather than trying to convince a dealer - I'm guessing it will be fine

However don't phone me if your wheel falls off and you stack it though :)

Bit of a pisser, because I have a trip to Manchester planned for this weekend.
I don't fancy doing 1000 miles in a car with a knackered wheel bearing, and the dealer can't fit me in in time, so I'm having to borrow a colleague's 1.6Fsi Golf...
Not looking forward to a long trip in a petrol motor again.

i have this knocking/grinding (mostly knocking) from the nsf on my car at low speeds/crawling traffic, and have had the car up in the air several times and checked ARB droplinks, recently fitted powerflex wishbone bushes, CV joints and both inner and outer are fine (n/s is a new shaft) and all else is well, i checked the wheel bearing by way of the 12 an 6 oclock grip and check for movement trick and i cant feel any movement. could it be a bad bearing even thou there is no obvious movement???

cheers

i have this knocking/grinding (mostly knocking) from the nsf on my car at low speeds/crawling traffic, and have had the car up in the air several times and checked ARB droplinks, recently fitted powerflex wishbone bushes, CV joints and both inner and outer are fine (n/s is a new shaft) and all else is well, i checked the wheel bearing by way of the 12 an 6 oclock grip and check for movement trick and i cant feel any movement. could it be a bad bearing even thou there is no obvious movement???

cheers

Thread is over 4 year old fella, it's also for the 8P A3, make a fresh thread with your problem in the 8L section, you'll get a better response and probably won't get mocked for going back in time and bringing this one back to life.

:icon_thumright: