1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

grey strips and grills

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by gburgess, Sep 19, 2003.

1. gburgess

gburgess New Member

[Sep 19, 2003]
    Hi all
    Just got my dream S3 a week ago, just wondering if anyone knows how to get that horrible grey strip out of the back bumber without reversing into a bollard (sorry), so i can replace it with silver mesh.

I also want to replace the grills in the bottom front bumber as well.

Any ideas

Cheers guys
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 21, 2014]

3. AlexStanley

AlexStanley Member

[Sep 19, 2003]
    Hey, that's harsh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif
  4. DaveCav

DaveCav Member

[Sep 19, 2003]
    I like the grey strip bit diffrent
  5. ben

ben New Member

[Sep 19, 2003]
    This thread must be a wind up. Silver mesh?? thats going to look terrible.
  6. Ess_Three

Ess_Three Active Member

[Sep 19, 2003]
    [ QUOTE ]
    S3Babee said:
    Hi all
    Just got my dream S3 a week ago, just wondering if anyone knows how to get that horrible grey strip out of the back bumber without reversing into a bollard (sorry), so i can replace it with silver mesh.

I also want to replace the grills in the bottom front bumber as well.

Any ideas

Cheers guys

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell me you are joking?

What did you drive last, a Saxo?

7. gburgess

gburgess New Member

[Sep 19, 2003]
    Its a black car, which tends to show up any silver bits on the car really well, like the wing mirrors. Trust me, i will post before and after pics, then comment.
    and as for the grey strip on the back, the designer needs shooting, it is especialy bad on a black car, its ok on the red and silver, but not on the black.
  8. AL_B

AL_B Active Member

[Sep 19, 2003]
    Black, RS4 style mesh might work. But a quality car deserves a quality job doing - so crappy mesh stuff from xyz accessory store is just going to look ****.

The grey strips along the side, make the car different. The rear one, yep, I agree it takes some getting used to, but it mirrors the front of the car. Its there as part of the design. Look how the intakes in the lower front bumper kind of merge into one long grey oblong. The grey bit at the back mirrors this, and breaks-up the bumper a bit.

To be honest, thinking about it, I'm not even sure if RS4 style mesh would look right.

But, everyone has their own opinions. So perhaps you should experiment with different ideas. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

AL
  9. halegavin

halegavin Member

[Sep 19, 2003]
    Ive got a Black S3. I think the grey strip looks good. But what do I know. The design/engineering degree ive got doesnt count for much.

Please dont do it. Sell ya S3 and buy a Nova/Saxo/Pug
  10. DaveCav

DaveCav Member

[Sep 19, 2003]
    Yeah my cars also black i like the strip

lmao @ the buying a Nova/Saxo bit
  11. Ess_Three

Ess_Three Active Member

[Sep 19, 2003]
    [ QUOTE ]
    S3Babee said:
    Its a black car, which tends to show up any silver bits on the car really well, like the wing mirrors. Trust me, i will post before and after pics, then comment.
    and as for the grey strip on the back, the designer needs shooting, it is especialy bad on a black car, its ok on the red and silver, but not on the black.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which begs the question, if you don't like the design of the S3 bumpers, why did you buy an S3 and not a T Sport quattro?
    Surely the less badly designed standard A3 bumpers would have been less offensive to you than the S3 units that are obviously causing you so much distress? The by-product of this choice being that the designer would not be in fear of his life from a bullet!

Personally, I like the grey bits...all of them...and in my view they suit every colour except maybe the metallic greys.

As for the silly silver mirrors on some of the S3s....phew! Stinking! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif
  12. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

[Sep 19, 2003]
    You would also have to cut out the panel too - see picture. Should you decide to do it, keep the panel for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif as I would like to fit an S3 bumper to replace the cracked one on my A3 (before I got it!) although like Gammba I'm still not convinced about the arches.
  13. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

[Sep 19, 2003]
    I have to say that i think it will look terrible and VERY maxpower... S3's arent s'posed to look naff.

Rich
  14. RAPS3

RAPS3 Well-Known Member

[Sep 20, 2003]
    I've got some chiken wire in the garage if thats any good for you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue_out.gif

Each to there own I suppose.

Bear in mind though that once you've taken the grey plastic bit out, youre going to have to butcher the bumper to fit this mesh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif