Grey Smoke From Exhaust After a Run

JudderMan

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I left the car sitting for a few days, started it up and as I was waiting for the fast idle to slow (2 minutes) I looked in the rearview mirror and there was a ploom of grey smoke coming from the exhaust. I checked ASN straight away and found this thread http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/166687-stinky-grey-smoke-after-motorway-run.html but it wasn't smelly smoke, in fact, it had no smell - I put my hand over the exhaust and smelt it but no discernible smell.

I'm currently 150 miles from home in the middle of nowhere and was cruising along some twisty country roads at 60mph...it was quite twisty so it seemed like I was pressing on but just carrying lots of speed through the bends not caning it (see mpg on fuelly...) and pulled over as we were going to look at a house to rent in the sticks, and there was some grey smoke again once I'd pulled up at the house, but obviously this time was very different to the start up one and by the time I got out the smoke was gone.

The engine does 'smell' hot and has done for months. I just presumed this was because it's a turbo car (my first) and due to the extra heat that is created. Should I do a PCV removal/delete? I'll check the TIP for excessive oil, the turbo for play, but is this the beginnings of turbo seals going do you think as it mentions in the thread I posted above? Are there any other turbo seal symptoms? It's been very cold today and last night compared to yesterday, but this can't be a condensation issue, surely, as I'd been driving for 40 minutes before it happened.

FYI, I had to fill up with 95 octane gunk as there are no decent petrol stations round here, hence why I'm not caning it round these roads but still driving swiftly. It's had fresh oil a couple of months ago (2k miles ago) and topped up a little before the journey as it does drink oil at a rate of 500ml per 1500 miles or so.

Thanks Dave, will do. It doesn't make sense for when it did it when the car was cold, though...

Not that this is any more information I doubt, but both times (when idling and today) it only happened after I'd reversed a little. First time someone parked really close the front of the car and today I had to try and squeeze into a private road but park at the same time, so reversed.