Great Drive Today

QuattroCalum

Reaction score
Drove from Ayr to Isle of Skye in around 4 hours 40 minutes and managed 40 mpg in a 1.8t Quattro. Enjoyed every mile apart from the crawl past Glasgow Airport due to a car with two punctures on the drivers side Had a laugh at a Land Rover in Glencoe up to the axles in peat There was also a Golf that had careered off the road into a four foot ditch, oh dear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Andyb5tdi
f25d0813329ae22b39f0c12938a063f7.jpg

So.....this is how my average mpg was for the trip up and back on one tank of fuel.
b7e0f4ec3ecdee9b093dd779ad2ffaec.jpg

Sun setting on the mainland side of the Skye Bridge.

Reactions: Andyb5tdi and Sandra
You can't argue with that, especially from a big 4wd saloon with decent power.

Reactions: Andyb5tdi and QuattroCalum
You can't argue with that, especially from a big 4wd saloon with decent power.

I noticed on hard acceleration at one point, a rattle while changing gears. I think the wastegate is loose, I'll check this at some point during the week.
Quite sure I can adjust in situ if I remove the exhaust manifold which isn't too bad to do.
It's a little late boosting and kinda laggy down low, fingers crossed that's what it is.
May have been possible to have higher mpg without this problem?

482 miles on one tank of fuel in a 1.8t Quattro, can anyone beat that?

Sounds like it's certainly worth a check, good luck with the rattle hunting! I've got a couple in my interior that are driving me spare.

Reactions: QuattroCalum
40???????

I don't know what you were doing, accelerating with a feather? Haha I wish I could get near that :(

40???????

I don't know what you were doing, accelerating with a feather? Haha I wish I could get near that :(

It's mostly fifth gear with the odd shift to fourth for motor homes/caravans/ slow barstewards or people that the skill of driving simply escapes them.

Sounds like it's certainly worth a check, good luck with the rattle hunting! I've got a couple in my interior that are driving me spare.

Yep, the wastegate was loose, tightened it up and it's much better, hits boost really quickly now. Compared to how it was it's a bit of an animal now :greyrs4:

Nice! You don't want any of that precious boost escaping.

One of my favourite things about the VAG turbos is the big torque hit at low revs.

Nice! You don't want any of that precious boost escaping.

One of my favourite things about the VAG turbos is the big torque hit at low revs.

Wondering if it had been mapped in the past, I found an Angel tuning leaflet in with the service history etc. The reason I'm wondering is because of the way the torque is delivered, on my Passat 1.8t even with a decay fitted it was nowhere near where the A4 is just a great big dollop of torque!

It does sound mapped, the stock 1.8t's and TFSI's I've had felt torquey, but nowhere close to what a mapped car feels like.

I always found VAG did their best to hide the turbo on their stock maps, it's all very progressive.

Remapped cars tend to really kick you in the **** when the turbo spools.

Decat that was meant to say. Will have to get boost gauge fitted soon.

One way to know for sure, and they're a nice mod to have.

So..... I've been to Skye and back again, 650 miles in total and I saw 44.1 average mpg on the trip computer (on the way home), it was around 41 mpg on the way up matching what I had before the wastegate was tightened.
Overall I used £85 worth of super unleaded, I managed up to Skye, all around while up there and back down to Fort William where I had to put £20 in to get me home (that's around 147 miles) fuel light came on again with 20 miles to go, I don't think I can complain about that.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/M...325248bb804de!2m2!1d-6.458402!2d57.362237!3e0

Apologies, that should be 615 miles my brain was frazzled after the drive home lol.