1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grating noise poss alternator !!!

ant schof Apr 28, 2011

1. ant schof

ant schof Member

Hi all ,
    My battery warning lights has started flickering on and a grating type noise at the same time . (02 plate S3) Strange thing is when i switch off the ac the noise stops and the battery warning light goes out ! Could this be the alternator or Air con compressor clutch , any help to solve this much appreciated .

Cheers Ant

2. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid Supporter

Sounds like the bearings have gone in the AC pulley and then puts force on the alternator pulley...

3. ant schof

ant schof Member

thanks for the reply , i've looked and listened again and the noise is still there with the AC off , pretty sure its the alternator bearings . Think switching the AC off quietened it down as less tension on the alternator as you said but the other way round . Now need to find myself a replacement asap ! Anyone got an alternator for sale i'm in Truro in Cornwall ,

Cheers Ant

4. ant schof

ant schof Member

Just a quick heads up , the grating noise was my alternator clutch pulley ! Whipped out the alternator and replaced it today , good old boys at Audi had one in stock , even buzzed the old pulley off and new one on for me , happy days are here again , lol .