1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grating noise poss alternator !!!

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by ant schof, Apr 28, 2011.

1. ant schof

ant schof Member

[Apr 28, 2011]
    Hi all ,
    My battery warning lights has started flickering on and a grating type noise at the same time . (02 plate S3) Strange thing is when i switch off the ac the noise stops and the battery warning light goes out ! Could this be the alternator or Air con compressor clutch , any help to solve this much appreciated .

Cheers Ant
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 24, 2014]

3. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

[Apr 28, 2011]
    Sounds like the bearings have gone in the AC pulley and then puts force on the alternator pulley...
  4. ant schof

ant schof Member

[Apr 28, 2011]
    thanks for the reply , i've looked and listened again and the noise is still there with the AC off , pretty sure its the alternator bearings . Think switching the AC off quietened it down as less tension on the alternator as you said but the other way round . Now need to find myself a replacement asap ! Anyone got an alternator for sale i'm in Truro in Cornwall ,

Cheers Ant
  5. ant schof

ant schof Member

[Apr 30, 2011]
    Just a quick heads up , the grating noise was my alternator clutch pulley ! Whipped out the alternator and replaced it today , good old boys at Audi had one in stock , even buzzed the old pulley off and new one on for me , happy days are here again , lol .