1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

granite effect worktop

willnabby Jun 28, 2007

1. willnabby

willnabby RS-one day soon!!

Does anyone know the proper name for this stuff? , I don't mean the chipboard laminate stuff, I'm sure I've seen another material used before:think:

2. Caesium

Caesium My BM is fixed! VCDS Map User

Corian

3. Caesium

There's also
    LG HI-Macs
    Staron
    Gibraltar
    Avonite
    Surell
    Velstone
    Cristalan
    LG Volcanics

Most of them are made from resins, although some of them have bauxite or alumina trihydrate in them as well.

4. voorhees

voorhees Moderator Staff Member Moderator DSG

5. willnabby

willnabby RS-one day soon!!

6. rodenal

rodenal Active Member

Genuine granite aint cheap, and its very very heavy.

7. IN-A3

IN-A3 Member

and its full of tiny little holes for all the dirt and gems. still scratchs.

8. Caesium

Corian can be polished to remove scratches and its more hygenic than Granite as Granite is porus.

9. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

"more hygenic than Granite as Granite is porus"
    Just slightly more "porous" than diamond.
    Unless you're gonna be shitting on your worktops on a regular basis the hygiene issue is moot. In fact we need more germs in our houses otherwise the rise in feeble, allergy and asthma ridden young boys and girls will continue.

10. batwad

batwad Member

The British Empire was built on formica and bakolite.

Oh, and G&T.

Seriously though, they're all laminated/treated/glossed/sealed anyway. The first thing I do when someone shows me their new kitchen is to feel under the worktops, that's where the real action and quality is.

11. Caesium

As I know several people who work in the surfaces industry I'm quite well placed to give an educated point. What has diamond got to do with granite?
    I think your example of shitting on a worktop is a little over-zealous, a dirty dishcloth can contain salmonella which can penetrate the pores of granite, which can also stain easily and chip.

I'm an advocate of granite, i think it looks fantastic, i'm merely pointing out facts of the different materials, i'm not granite bashing.
    You'll see all medical and vetrinary surfaces are now made from corian due to its nature. Its NOT porous at all.

This is from a site detailing the properties of granite:

What you may not know about a granite countertop can actually kill you!
    The Facts Don't Lie
    Before Corian embarked on their latest ad campaign "Created For Life" they spent a bundle on market research. They hired independent testing companies to gauge the pulse of consumers in dozens of ways, ranging from surveys to focus groups. The scope of the testing was extensive. Dupont was smart enough to realize that they need hard data, not wishful thinking, if they were to fashion an ad campaign that would have any chance of success.
    One piece of information that came out of this research bears repeating here. Only 52% of people who bought Granite countertops would ever use granite again in their next home. In other words one out of every two people who bought granite countertops ARE SORRY THAT THEY DID! This is a staggering statistic. It's even more staggering when you think of the enormous pressure of someone who has spent thousands of dollars on a countertop is under to convince himself, to like it, even if he doesn't. Is this surprising? Actually, for those of us in the industry who have know granite for many years, it's not surprising at all.
    The key is that the kitchen countertop is not a piece of art that is there, simply to be looked at and admired. This is a place where gravy slops, the bread dough is rolled, and tomato sauce gets spilled. Work, play and lots of lives happen on and around this surface. School projects, finger paint, and makeup...the list goes on.
    HOW DOES GRANITE PERFORM AS A KITCHEN COUNTERTOP
    When it comes to buying a tombstone, people overwhelmingly choose granite. But granite makes awful countertops. What? What you say? Isn't granite the ultimate countertop? Doesn't the surge in granite countertops prove this? The single biggest flaw that is inherent to granite is it's porous. This single flaw makes it, on a microscopic level, a germ sponge. Salmonella, mold, mildew and all sorts of other germs thrive there. Most of the shine you always see on granite is the result of chemical sealers that granite fabricators put on the surface to minimize this inherent flaw. Granite unlike Corian cannot be made non-porous, therefore it cannot be made germ free. None of our 50 states allow the use of granite in commercial food preparation areas. Corian is the only surface, other than stainless steal, that is approved for use in hospital operating rooms. It cannot support microbial growth. Corian is a completely homogenous sanitary surface on which to prepare your family's food.
    CLEANLINESS
    This same porosity means that granite, unlike Corian, can stain. Yes. It's true granite stains, big time, and stains don't come out, ever! When Corian is scrubbed clean with an abrasive cleanser, (like Comet) it is clean, can accordingly feels clean. If you scrubbed granite with Comet you'd ruin that polished sealer, but becuase it's porous it wouldn't be really clean anyway. Cleaning with Glassplus or Soft Scrub is really a joke. Granite cannot be made non-porous, so therefore, cannot be made clean.
    SEAMS
    Corian Seams are chemically welded with a molecular bond that is almost always nearly invisible. Granite seams are made of some sort of epoxy and are about 3/16 wide. Not to mince words, the seams on an L or U shaped countertop look horrible and are marvelous dirt, stain and germ catchers. Edge buildups are pretty much impossible, so edge style selections are very limited. Granite countertops are solid slabs, 1" to 1 1/4" thick that look remarkably like tombstones lying on their sides. With granite you can forget about thermoformed aprons, coved backsplashes, or colored accent buildups.
    SINKS
    Sinks come in two ways with granite, #1 Top Mount (self-rimming) with that horrible little edge all around the sink that leaches plumbers putty for the next 10 years and changes color to a greenish black as the years' accumulation of dirt, grease and germs become trapped there. #2 Undermount, with that surface under the lip of the granite that's impossible to see or clean and stays dark and moist... Dark and moist, isn't that where mold, mildew and germs breed? A seam mounted Corian sink, on the other hand, has only sanitary, molecularly bonded Corian to deal with. No lip, no crack, no hidden recesses, no horrible grime or germs.
    MAINTENANCE
    Granite is actually a high maintenance surface. Any one of many things that happen on a kitchen countertop can remove the gloss finish from the surface of granite. Then the only thing to do is to call the technician with professional polishing equipment and the re-application of that smelly sealer to restore that glossy finish.

12. Caesium

What do you expect to find there?

All laminate wortops have a paper backing, regardless of cost. The only thing that differs is the post-forming of the front edge, the better being bullnose or double round, single round or pencil round have no return of the laminate and water get ingress in there and cause the substrate to split.

13. AndyMac

Personally I don't like granite. Great if you want your kitchen to look like an undertakers, but way too cold and austere IMO. Just like a gold Rolex, people seem to think because it's expensive it's the height of good taste.
    As for medical and veternary surfaces:
    1. Should they really be using something so expensive?
    2. Most people don't plan on doing too many surgical procedures in their kitchens.
    Nanny state propaganda IMO, I grew up in the infinately dangerous 70's, where we still used wooden chopping boards and bacteria was everywhere.
    I think some French guy actually found out that exposure to small amounts of bacteria was actually a good thing.

14. Caesium

Wasn't that Louis Pasteur...?:lmfao:

I do agree about the Rolex though...euuugh!

15. d3fy

d3fy Active Member

[​IMG]

Not sure what you mean? :)

16. AndyMac

Gorgeous, maybe one day!!!

17. marmite

marmite Counting the Tesco Club points

I have got Black Corian work tops in my kitchen and fairly please with them
    apart from the scratch so easy, wouldn't recommend cutting on them as you with get lines
    You can get an after care kit which is good

I was going for Granite but the cost and the polished look was not the thing for me in the end

18. silver75

silver75 Big Ron

LOL

19. Caesium

thats obscene!