1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GPS receiver

Discussion in 'In-Car Entertainment' started by deano16v, Mar 26, 2005.

1. deano16v

deano16v Member

[Mar 26, 2005]
    chaps/chapettes. got a facelift 00 B5 and i have a mobile phone with TomTom pre installed on it etc. I need to buy a GPS receiver to get it fully working etc but was just wondering with all the heat insulating galss etc will one work in my car?

TIA
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 28, 2014]

3. mikeA2B

mikeA2B Member

[Mar 28, 2005]
    Hi

I fitted Nav + recently, I fitted the GPS receiver under the dash, apparently it can see thro plastics, it is ok with glass too, previously I used a PDA which I had no probs with.

I think your only problem might be if you have a heated windscreen, if thats the case im pretty sure a shark fin GPS can be adapted to fit your PDA.

HTH
  4. deano16v

deano16v Member

[Mar 28, 2005]
    i dont think mine has a heated screen to be honest. I tried out a Rikala BT receiver and couldnt get a signal with it anywhere in the car, took it out and tried it in my 205 and got a signal straight away. Perhaps i'll need to get a receiver with an external arial then.

Cheers chaps
  5. dickys3

dickys3 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Mar 29, 2005]
    I've got a quick question regarding mounting the reciever in the boot with a constant power supply.

Does this effecty battery life (long term) if it is constantly powered? I was gonna do this with my BT Tomtom GPS reciever but the manual said not to! I occasionaly use the reciever in another car so the battery is quite usefull for me.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
    Rich.