goubo stroker gt35 build nears completion

I decided to try a turbo blanket purely because I wanted to do something to car the thing smoked like a barsteward for a few miles and been fine since it defiantly has kept the bay a bit cooler

Had the car out on Sunday for a serious ragging about the B roads with my mate who just got a Clio 197 (super little car the thing is like a go kart) then I got engine light on and it said fault with intake temp sensor and in the pic you can see the fault so got that replaced and all is good for now

Today I fitted my new wheel pretty happy with it and it's something new :grinning:..also gave it another oil and filter change only while it was in my mates garage and had the chance so it's ready for some more hooning :racer::racer:

Reactions: <tuffty/>
Image Image

That's the blanket off cheers for the heads up bill

Ain't to sure how these are ment to go but I got a mid range one nothing to expensive and looks like it ain't held up to well was only on Monday morning

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 311

Bought these today hope it all comes for the weekend to get it all bolted on

Will be selling my 996tt set up

Just love the look of the massive 18z calipers

I don't mean to be negative Rob, but assuming you had the fantastic 996.351.429/430 turbo fronts, I'd say that's a massive downgrade :(

Heavy calipers, a very poor hydraulic match, and wooden pads :(

Reactions: Goubo1
I'll give them a go see what they are like dude will keep hold of my 996 setup for it so can change back if I don't get on with them

Take it you have drove a s3 with this set up ?

Driven lots mate, usually after being asked to solve the long / soft pedal issues people experience after fitting.

These can be partly avoided by very careful / thorough bleeding including the mc, but the fact remains they are a poor match to the 8L 23.8mm master cylinder and require considerably more fluid displacement to operate.

Very pretty things, but functionally frustrating. If you're a keen driver you'll struggle to heel n toe without pedal alterations.

Like I said man, I hate being negative, and I absolutely love your car. I just like to make sure people fully understand the implications of certain mods.
:racer:

Driven lots mate, usually after being asked to solve the long / soft pedal issues people experience after fitting.

These can be partly avoided by very careful / thorough bleeding including the mc, but the fact remains they are a poor match to the 8L 23.8mm master cylinder and require considerably more fluid displacement to operate.

Very pretty things, but functionally frustrating. If you're a keen driver you'll struggle to heel n toe without pedal alterations.

Like I said man, I hate being negative, and I absolutely love your car. I just like to make sure people fully understand the implications of certain mods.
:racer:

What's the pedal travel compared to 996 dude ?Any tips on thorough bleeding dude?

Yeah very pretty man I love the look of them

No negativity at all dude your just giving me a heads up always a good thing I'm always thankful of any help

I'll do the sums this evening and let you know :)

As the 996T are slightly larger than stock it won't be quite such a jump I guess.

Right, numbers for you Rob.

The stock 54mm sliding S3 caliper has an area of 2290mm².

The 996TT calipers have pistons of 38 and 42mm, giving an area of 2520mm², an additional 10% travel.

The 18Z have an area of 2750mm², so 2750/2290 = 1.2009, or 20% pedal travel increase over stock. This to me is quite noticeable.

Comparing the 996TT to the 18z, we have 2750 / 2520 = 1.09, so 9%. In reality you may not notice this difference too much as your pedal travel is already increased 10% from stock.

For me, that 10% over stock is the sweet spot. Softer and longer than would be ideal in a perfect world, but not enough to really upset things.

The 20% the 18Z give is for me a little too much, and I believe the driving experience suffers as a result, but in reality, coming from the 996TT you probably won’t be TOO bothered by it, even if the pedal will be longer than is ideal.

Regardless of all of the above, they will certainly look pretty :laugh:

What if it isn't as simple as comparing piston sizes. Construction inside the calipers may not be that simple, meaning the piston isn't getting pushed by its whole area, using more fluid. Just a thought.
They may maintain a smaller internal volume/area, maintaining force applied to simply a bigger piston, somehow.

Right, numbers for you Rob.

The stock 54mm sliding S3 caliper has an area of 2290mm².

The 996TT calipers have pistons of 38 and 42mm, giving an area of 2520mm², an additional 10% travel.

The 18Z have an area of 2750mm², so 2750/2290 = 1.2009, or 20% pedal travel increase over stock. This to me is quite noticeable.

Comparing the 996TT to the 18z, we have 2750 / 2520 = 1.09, so 9%. In reality you may not notice this difference too much as your pedal travel is already increased 10% from stock.

For me, that 10% over stock is the sweet spot. Softer and longer than would be ideal in a perfect world, but not enough to really upset things.

The 20% the 18Z give is for me a little too much, and I believe the driving experience suffers as a result, but in reality, coming from the 996TT you probably won’t be TOO bothered by it, even if the pedal will be longer than is ideal.

Regardless of all of the above, they will certainly look pretty :laugh:

Thanks dude...that don't sound so bad from what I have just now...only time will tell once I get it all bolted on

What if it isn't as simple as comparing piston sizes. Construction inside the calipers may not be that simple, meaning the piston isn't getting pushed by its whole area, using more fluid. Just a thought.
They may maintain a smaller internal volume/area, maintaining force applied to simply a bigger piston, somehow.
That's a interesting thought dude

996tt master cylinder is 25.4mm
Base 996/boxster is 23mm
Cayenne/gt3 is 27mm

And for ref my own setup, RS3 MC is 25.4mm.

Just for more info.

I've just found a 25.4mm OEM replacement for B5 1.8t, wonder if ours is the same or if not could it be used

I'm afraid it is that simple Karl, pistons are pushed by the whole surface area of the back, regardless of internal design up to this point. The volume of fluid required to move the pistons by a defined amount is directly proportional to piston size, and directly comparable across calipers in the above way. Total system volume is unimportant, only fluid displacement.

MC sizes above confirm the trends also, cayenne having the massive 27mm m/c.

A larger master cylinder for the 8L platform is the holy grail I'm afraid. many MANY people have searched for a solution over the years, and to my knowledge, there isn't anything that's known to work yet.

Reactions: craigt1985
Total system volume is unimportant, only fluid displacement.
Exactly, because fluids are (almost entirely) incompressible. In a pneumatic system, chamber volume comes into play, because there is more air to compress.

Managed to get the 18z calipers bolted up after a bit of a hassle with the bolts supplied with the adapters being to long but some cutting and grinding later they were on....further down the line I'll be going for two piece discs when I free funds up

going to bleed with eezibleed tomorrow or the next day as all we did was gravity bleed as I left the eezibleed at home.Only got a few miles on them so far the pedal does have more travel than my previous set up but so far it seems fine with me after getting used to that little bit more travel

Reactions: SamHendry and S3Alex
We'll never got round bleeding the brakes again as after some more use then bedding in they are as good as I could hope for and when you give the brake pedal some the braking is really impressive

Big turbo big power and big miles per tank

Reactions: superkarl
It's both invigorating and depressing to know that S3 of yours is probably faster than my ZZR1200. :( I just can't bring myself to dish out serious $$$ on this motor yet... But you and Bill have done well on this one. You and a few others here always make me shut the ASN tabs and go looking at some proper go-fast parts... :p

How's the reliability been treating you? Seems like you've had quite a few issues so far in just 10 pages. :p All sorted out now or is it still giving you little problems here and there?

Yeah it's proper quick mate a few bikes have found that out as has a Aston Martin virage 2011 model...various 911s...m3s..rs4s... 8v and 8p s3s in different levels of tune

Can honestly say anything I've had a play with I've always been miles ahead

For me reliability has been as I expected from a 300+bhp per litre car that gets driven hard every chance I get as its hard not to use the power when you get the chance

I have my mate convinced I can get 855 miles to a tank because it says it on the dash haha because it has huge injectors the dash reads it wrong he finds the miles per tank more impressive than the power haha

Reactions: S3Alex
I get over 1000km with half a tank thanks to my 2000cc injectors ;)

I wonder if there is there an easy way to fix this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah same happens with my readings. Not as inconsistent as yours as my injectors are only 550cc but it always over-estimates for sure. There is a way I'm sure to do it. My tuner said there was and it was simple, but you'll have to ask the boys here for a more detailed explanation.

Goubo, best of luck. Hope it doesn't give you too much trouble. If and when I do have a question or two I'll make sure to PM you. :)

I actually like it over reading to wind people up that with 600+bhp I can get 800 odd miles per tank haha...

Reactions: tomjol
Yeah same happens with my readings. Not as inconsistent as yours as my injectors are only 550cc but it always over-estimates for sure. There is a way I'm sure to do it. My tuner said there was and it was simple, but you'll have to ask the boys here for a more detailed explanation.

Goubo, best of luck. Hope it doesn't give you too much trouble. If and when I do have a question or two I'll make sure to PM you. :)
KVB constant but cant go high enough for all injectors

Reactions: Shoomakan
Yeah it's proper quick mate a few bikes have found that out as has a Aston Martin virage 2011 model...various 911s...m3s..rs4s... 8v and 8p s3s in different levels of tune

Can honestly say anything I've had a play with I've always been miles ahead

For me reliability has been as I expected from a 300+bhp per litre car that gets driven hard every chance I get as its hard not to use the power when you get the chance

I have my mate convinced I can get 855 miles to a tank because it says it on the dash haha because it has huge injectors the dash reads it wrong he finds the miles per tank more impressive than the power haha
I hear you had some fun with a tte420 leon cupra... lol
he spoke well of your car

crazy men...

I hear you had some fun with a tte420 leon cupra... lol
he spoke well of your car

crazy men...

Haha we did that dude :racer:

He was mighty impressed with what you've done with my car says he ain't seen another car go like the way mine did and also mentioned now he wants more power haha

Reactions: S3Alex and Sandra
I actually like it over reading to wind people up that with 600+bhp I can get 800 odd miles per tank haha...

You and me both!

The Syvecs ECU on mine needs a few little things sorting,and one of them is it's idea of MPG.
There's obviously a divide by 4 error in the system somewhere as it thinks I'm getting 80+mpg.

I wish......

On the other hand,dishing it out to the "faster" cars that cost 5 times as much is quite funny.

You and me both!

The Syvecs ECU on mine needs a few little things sorting,and one of them is it's idea of MPG.
There's obviously a divide by 4 error in the system somewhere as it thinks I'm getting 80+mpg.

I wish......

On the other hand,dishing it out to the "faster" cars that cost 5 times as much is quite funny.

I know it's such a buzz when you shock some real high end cars...the dude in the Aston gave me the thumbs up and was just shaking his head and laughing when he caught up at the roundabout

Reactions: badger5
I know it's such a buzz when you shock some real high end cars...the dude in the Aston gave me the thumbs up and was just shaking his head and laughing when he caught up at the roundabout

I've found the AMG guys don't cope so well....

Must be German car rivalry or something.

I've found the AMG guys don't cope so well....

Must be German car rivalry or something.

It's probably the fact that they have double or triple your displacement WITH twin turbos and still getting their *** handed to them. I'd be upset, too. :p

Reactions: Goubo1 and S3Alex
It's probably the fact that they have double or triple your displacement WITH twin turbos and still getting their *** handed to them. I'd be upset, too. :p

That'd be their problem for being lazy and not bothering to tune their cars properly.

LOL

Little update

Gearbox ***** the bed again from serious abuse lol :racer:

So while it was off the road I sent the turbo to aet to get refurbed and they turned it around quick for me also got a new clutch plate from bill to put in while the box was out

Fitted the turbo last night and my mate tackled the gearbox and clutch today but we have struggled with getting a decent clutch pedal got it half decent so going to drive it for a bit and see if the pedal gets any better then try bleed again Monday

Had planned to get the boxes known weak points strengthened but ran out of money and wanted the car back on the road so just another standard one back in and going to but another box and get it done when money frees up

Reactions: S3Alex and StaceyS3
Had a bit of a oil leak a bit just at the top of the fitting was fine until I removed it to help with fitting the turbo after it got refurbed

Ordered some new hose and fittings and got it on the the car tonight only managed to let the car idle and inspect but all seems ok where previously it would weep on idle

Hope that's it oil tight again like before and now good for a drive down to bills in the near future for a little look over for my piece of mind

Reactions: shaunevo6
Goubo, could I see a pic of your boost gauge please?

I like the idea but did you have to put holes in the dash?

Thanks.