Got the S3 to 140mph . (not on public roads)

[ QUOTE ]
You were listening... to a "TAPE"?
What's one of them: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't a TAPE just an oversized ipod adaptor?

[ QUOTE ]

Hope you were steering with your knees to take the photo... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No, my friend took the photo, I was too busy spazzing out at having just done 154mph in a standard S3!

i have had old s3 (210bhp) up to 150mph as indicated by speedo. My current 130bhp tdi a4 avant has seen 133mph on gps - all of the above not is this country

I dunno I think your S3's are capable of doing 155MPH. My car hit 150MPH and still had plenty left.

150MPH.jpg

I might have had my A3 1.8T Sport up to something like 133, I really couldn't be sure, officer. Didn't feel like it had much legs left though.

A pal of mine recently did 140 in his 260bhp tt sport without realising it, (thought he was doing about 100) and has decided to sell it for 2 reasons:
1. he's going to get into trouble for speeding.
2,. it's too uncomfortable for long drives. They're great seats for the track, but not for a long commute.

following my recent AMD stage 1 trip I popped onto a mates private road on the way home /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif and took the S upto a clean 150, BUT it wouldnt go anymore... a very slow increase in speed up there..

plus my throttle seemed to be fluffing very slightly up there...

is 150 limited at all?

The 150 isn't limited as the cars top speed is only supposed to be 143 or 147.

My speedo was pretty accurate when I checked it against gps I'm pretty sure an S3 in the "right" conditions will manage over 150 on the speedo. I've had mine over 140 but I think I will have to give it another go when it's back and all sorted and try and video it... I remember acceleration was pretty slow over 130ish.

[ QUOTE ]
I've been to 136 in my TDI A3 on a private road (ahem) that was at about 3500rpm and it was still pulling hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this sounded well-fishy.

According to Audi's gearing,a 130bhp tdi will be doing around 107mph at 3500rpm.

That might explain why his car was "still pulling hard"

It was only actually doing 107mph and his speedo is ******. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[ QUOTE ]
The 150 isn't limited as the cars top speed is only supposed to be 143 or 147. .

[/ QUOTE ]

Book speed on a S3 is 150 top end.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The 150 isn't limited as the cars top speed is only supposed to be 143 or 147. .

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that must be for the 225 in that case as I'm sure my handbook says something like 143 or 147 (I've got a 210)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that must be for the 225 in that case as I'm sure my handbook says something like 143 or 147 (I've got a 210)

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm I'll have to check again. I have a 210 and i'm sure it is 150. I'll check tonight.

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm I'll have to check again. I have a 210 and i'm sure it is 150. I'll check tonight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too you've got me wondering now - if it wasn't for the fact it's broke I'd got out in the carpark and check right now.

Audi Driver August 2004...

Audi S3 210

Top speed 148 mph.
Speed in top gear 24.0mph/1000 rpm

Please believe I dont keep all these magazines.. only selected ones mostly about S/A3.

Well, that and What Aquarium and Amateur Tench Fondler Monthly...

Bowfer,

It's been re-mapped and is putting out approx 155-160 bhp

but it was a very long stretch of (ahem) runway

[ QUOTE ]
Bowfer,

It's been re-mapped and is putting out approx 155-160 bhp

but it was a very long stretch of (ahem) runway

[/ QUOTE ]

It still doesn't tally though.

That sort of power might get you to 136mph,but it certainly won't still be pulling strongly.

Then there's the matter of the gearing.

Top gear allows 30.8 per 1000rpm.
So you'd have to be doing 4400rpm,which is pretty much the red line and,no matter how much power you have,it won't go any faster as you've run out of revs.

I suspect your speedo's way out,I say waaaaay out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Is the max speed quoted in mags and by Audi calculated from the rev limiter and gearing, therfore mainly theoretical as not many cars have the ability to rev out full in top gear, or

What they have actually managed to wring out of them on a track.

Not including speed limited stuff like RS models and so on?

Also, does a re-map shift the rev limiter in the software?

[ QUOTE ]
Also, does a re-map shift the rev limiter in the software?

[/ QUOTE ]

It may do in a petrol,but I doubt in a diesel.
The governer sets the rev limit in a diesel.

Actually,I doubt it in a petrol as well.

I'm pretty sure they all just work within the standard rev range.

They can 'shift' the power within that range,or make it hold onto power better at the top end,but I don't think I've ever heard of one that physically lets it rev higher than the standard rev-limiter/governer.

I kind of agree with Bowfer,

In the photo up there I was in 6th gear - I have about another 700-800RPM before I'm toast and im doing 150 - I woulda pushed maybe 155MPH at most! And the power after 140MPH was very flat indeed but still pulling never the less.

I think gear stepping has alot for top speeds etc. I just dont know how a 5 gear diesel car could manage anything over 130MPH TBH.

[ QUOTE ]
is the TDi with 5 or 6 gears?

[/ QUOTE ]

My 130 Q has 6 gears...7 with reverse but its realy realy slow and hard to steer going backwards.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif

I don't think it would matter much whether it was a 5 speed or 6 speed diesel.

The final drive ration of 30.8mph per 1000rpm was for the 6 speeder,but I can't see the 5 speeder having such different gearing that it's only pulling 3500rpm at 136mph !

136mph is possible,I suppose,but the car will have been doing at least around 4400rpm and won't have had anything left.

3500rpm is possible,and it will still have penty of pull left,but it won't have been doing 136mph.

As it is,136mph and 3500rpm just don't add up man !

[ QUOTE ]
I've been to 136 in my TDI A3 on a private road (ahem) that was at about 3500rpm and it was still pulling hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it was 4500 rpm, and he does say about 3500, then 30.8 x 4.5 would indeed equal 138.6 mph...

Would it actually rev out to that in top gear.... thats another question.

NSD - it's the 6 speed TDI 130 (I think all the 130's came with 6 speed but i'm not 100%).

Bowfer - I suppose the speedo could be out but i wouldn't imagine it would be more than 5 -10mph at the absolute most so that could put it at approx 125mph "real speed".

As for the remaining "power" - what I was trying to explain is that the car had "power" left but the acceleration wasn't overly quick at that speed, I think the car could go faster but I'd rather not find out TBH

To be honest the top speed discussion is interesting and largely the stuff of pub conversations... I reckon in the real world of every day point to point driving, I would rather have a car that accelerates hard over a smaller range than one that winds up to massive speeds. I usually drive up to 100 mph and a car that goes well to this speed does for me. Its curiosity that takes me over 110, but its not my everyday drive.

I think I am right in saying that Scooby's are v fast, but on top speed they top out pretty quick.

Top speed is a conversation piece and a marketing tool I reckon.

[ QUOTE ]
I dunno I think your S3's are capable of doing 155MPH. My car hit 150MPH and still had plenty left.

150MPH.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

The car probably had plenty left, but your clutch didn't LOL. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

I've had an indicated 146mph on my speedo when I was running standard 210bhp power and 19s, since my AmD remap, I've seen 150mph and still going.... not sure how much was left, but I'd say 155 would be max, if I could find a long enough empty runway.

[ QUOTE ]
To be honest the top speed discussion is interesting and largely the stuff of pub conversations... I reckon in the real world of every day point to point driving, I would rather have a car that accelerates hard over a smaller range than one that winds up to massive speeds. I usually drive up to 100 mph and a car that goes well to this speed does for me. Its curiosity that takes me over 110, but its not my everyday drive.

I think I am right in saying that Scooby's are v fast, but on top speed they top out pretty quick.

Top speed is a conversation piece and a marketing tool I reckon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree,which is why I always change the sprockets on my bikes to give less top end,but better acceleration.

Shame it's not so easy to change the gearing on cars.

Having a car that's geared to go very fast is useful though, for example if you have enough low down torque eg large capacity V8 just over tick over it can be very helpful for economy and comfort, you don't want a car that's revving it's nuts of to do 80-90mph as it just gets annoying!

****** me can someone lend me £65k so I can get a C6 Z06?

[ QUOTE ]
Having a car that's geared to go very fast is useful though, for example if you have enough low down torque eg large capacity V8 just over tick over it can be very helpful for economy and comfort, you don't want a car that's revving it's nuts of to do 80-90mph as it just gets annoying!

****** me can someone lend me £65k so I can get a C6 Z06?

[/ QUOTE ]

True.

Perhaps we could revert back to the seventies,where an overdrive button (triumph 2000) is used for cruising ?

We get electronic everything else these days,that electronically switchable gearing shouldn't be that difficult,should it ??

[ QUOTE ]

Totally agree,which is why I always change the sprockets on my bikes to give less top end,but better acceleration.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here!
1 tooth smaller on the front...6MPH or so slower (at just 160-ish MPH) but much quicker getting there...

[ QUOTE ]

Shame it's not so easy to change the gearing on cars.

[/ QUOTE ]

It can usually still be done though...my Golf GTI has a 3.94 FD which lowers the gearing quite a lot.
It will now hit the (increased by chipping) rev limit in top gear...but at approx the same speed as a standard GTI (Approx 137MPH).
I've seen 145 on the clock with only a few revs to go before the fuel cut.

[ QUOTE ]
True.

Perhaps we could revert back to the seventies,where an overdrive button (triumph 2000) is used for cruising ?

We get electronic everything else these days,that electronically switchable gearing shouldn't be that difficult,should it ??

[/ QUOTE ]

More than slightly before my time I fear! I think with modern ecus and turbos like my s3 it's not such an issue, but I wouldn't want it geared any shorter than it is, I think 4K rpm for 100mph is ok but much more would be annoying!

[ QUOTE ]
I think 4K rpm for 100mph is ok but much more would be annoying!

[/ QUOTE ]

Great for cruising perhaps...

I'm sitting at just over 4000RPM at 80MPH in the GTI...right at the point it comes on cam...
No real surprise that standard S3s and TTs are easily taught a lesson!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think 4K rpm for 100mph is ok but much more would be annoying!

[/ QUOTE ]

Great for cruising perhaps...

I'm sitting at just over 4000RPM at 80MPH in the GTI...right at the point it comes on cam...
No real surprise that standard S3s and TTs are easily taught a lesson!

[/ QUOTE ]

oh be quiet... if your not going to come on here and post how great your Audi is (was) your not welcome... this was a thread for meaningless gratification of A3 / S3 owners... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Anyway how fast have you had the C4s that's far more interesting in a pointless kind of way?

lol i feel a back hand slap coming.......

I've had 150+ mph out of mine a few times and still going want to go to germany to reallly strech its legs also had 157 on me bike strugleing to get more but its all fun on private roads of course like the rest of you i would never do it on public roads

[ QUOTE ]
I've had an indicated 146mph on my speedo when I was running standard 210bhp power and 19s, since my AmD remap, I've seen 150mph and still going.... not sure how much was left, but I'd say 155 would be max, if I could find a long enough empty runway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can back him up on this as I was the one who was 2" off his back bumper on the way home from Castle Coombe, 150mph and still going..lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway how fast have you had the C4s that's far more interesting in a pointless kind of way?

[/ QUOTE ]

I beleive that that I have seen 167mph on the road angel from the drivers seat of a certain bright yellow C4S....

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can back him up on this as I was the one who was 2" off his back bumper on the way home from Castle Coombe, 150mph and still going..lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure you got the right guy? I was on an airfield lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif

s3 is limited by gearing,i've seen it off the clock though.(on private test track)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure you got the right guy? I was on an airfield lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry I forgot you classed it as an airfield /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[ QUOTE ]
oh be quiet... if your not going to come on here and post how great your Audi is (was) your not welcome... this was a thread for meaningless gratification of A3 / S3 owners... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Bah!!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed it is pointless...but I'll chip in anyway...
I have driven it at a Road Angel verified 165...perhaps slightly more - I was paying close attention to the Belgium motorway at the time!

It pales into insignificance next to David R who had the said same vehicle at 168+ (Road angel and quite possibly video camera verified) whilst negotiating some bends in the same road network...at 7am ish!
Conkers of steel...that's what I say.
I had already held my breath and pressed the passenger side emergency / imaginary brake pedal (whilst fumbling with the video camera!)