Got myself an A4 B6

BradV6

Reaction score
Well, this is just an update I suppose, I haven't contributed in ages!

I've been a member for some time having previously owned an A3 3.2. Sadly had to change last year, ended up with a Passat CC. Circumstances changed again and now here I am with an A4 B6, to be fair I've always wanted one!

It's a 2004 54 2.5 V6 TDI Quattro Sport Auto. Silver. 110k with tons of history.

When I picked it up, it was all working well with no problems.

Then, out of the blue, the dash started lighting up a month later. Great. I'm quite the mechanic so I got straight onto fixing the issues.

Problem 1: the airbag light come, scan showed it was side airbag igniter. I have obviously read up on this and found it to be a common problem. I have since fixed this following the "TSB" repair. It was the wire under the drivers seat. Interestingly someone had already "repaired" it. I cut the repair out and done it again, and no issues since.

Problem 2: the EML come on. I scanned it and found the EGR was in some way at fault (00560 code). I'm actually making a thread on fixing that so no details here!
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/a4-2-5-tdi-bau-engine-egr-00560-fault-fixed.249522/

Problem 3: Wiper motor squeaking with every wipe - this was an irritating one. Solved by removing the scuttle panel and greasing up the wiper motor linkages.

Problem 4: The car has rear parking sensors and intermittently when putting the car into reverse it beeps constantly for no reason. Not looked into this one yet!

Problem 5: I was installing my parrot kit and took the glove box out to do this. At some point the car had a tracker and there was some wiring remaining (now removed), however I noticed that part of the wiring on the large loom had been tapped into, quite badly, and a few wires had been left slit and exposed. Repaired these straight away, but what a poor job for someone to just leave wiring like that.

Problem 6: Brake warning on startup. Not fixed this yet but searching suggests its due to battery voltage. Will update that once resolved!

That's about it at the moment. I've also had to replace the worn and peeling headlight switch to tidy up the interior, and removed a pathetic looking dash bracket.

No pictures yet as I've not washed it due to the ongoing problems and repair, but its going to the Nurburgring next week so there will be pictures then!

Last edited:
Congrats on your new purchase, & welcome to the B6 forum.
Gunked up EGR is very common.
Reverse light switch on the gearbox is a likely candidate for the parking sensor problem.
Brake warning light could be number of things including the battery, but the brake light switch above the pedal is another very common failure so worth changing regardless(only £10ish from TPS).
Guessing the "pathetic looking bracket" if it was to the left of the Radio could be the Audi handy adaptor bracket for the OEM bluetooth phone prep system.

Forgot to mention that the N75 valve failing can cause 00560 code as it controls the EGR. Could be an associated split vacuum pipe too. If you have VCDS do an engine instrument check as it will operate the N75 so you can tell if it's working.

Thanks!

I'll get onto those as soon as possible then if they are simple enough to fix. Will report back once resolved.

The bracket was actually one of those bolt on ones like the Brodit mounts. It was a square lump of metal that bolted in behind the radio, and the radio didn't sit tight because of it either.

As for the EGR it was a vacuum line, all solved now!

Welcome to the B6 forum..

I had a similar prob with the brake warning light, checked everything changed the switch, but still, the light kept appearing.. Finally I checked the brake reservoir,,,, yep... It was running low... Lol
No brake light.... Haha

Very good point, I did happen to check it on the off chance when I got it and thought it could do with a top up! Don't know why I haven't done this yet ha!

Reactions: jimbob79