Got my new toy

cecilthesausage

...It's Never Finished...
Reaction score
Been looking for a MK1 Golf for a while now and this come up on Gumtree.... Lhasa Green Campaign model.... The lad had bought it for his Dads 50th and it just sat on his drive 12 months.....Got it for a steal I think..... Toying with putting my old S3 engine in it....
B097C133-D40E-46D7-8827-9BCB6BAE7C6B-8990-000005808C121111.jpg
E2D4767F-ABF7-4BE9-B3C1-4FAA11DF8179-8990-000005808CBD49BB.jpg
22E92EB4-47C9-4D4D-8F8D-559F46F67F7F-8990-000005808D3006E1.jpg

No I haven't sold it yet mate..... This come up for a grand and I just couldn't let it slip through my fingers..... Hopefully get the S3 back about the 27th.... Andy Bower is on his stag fortnight skiing and gets back on the 18th so that's when it's getting done.... Will have to keep the Golf quiet for a while...... Don't think the wife will share my enthusiasm.....lol

I do like Mk1's but i hate rust... make sure its a solid body before making power plans.
How do they steer with a bigger lump? out cabby gti is heavy as hell to park at low speeds.

I do like Mk1's but i hate rust... make sure its a solid body before making power plans.
How do they steer with a bigger lump? out cabby gti is heavy as hell to park at low speeds.

I've seen a mk2 with a 1.8T k03s and it was rapid. Was only about 200bhp but made my mates 350bhp Evo 7 look like a snail!

You NEED to Youtube "Reeves MK1". An absolute hero of a car.

OP you lucky sod, would love a MK1. Though of late I've been hankering after an E30 :ninja:

Sorry... im not douting the cars...
Ive got a heavily modded mk2 myself. It can as westy says show a fair few cars that should outshine it a clean pair of heals.
Both my Golfs dont have power steering and it can be a ****** at low speed. strangely worse on the mk1 . thats why i asked.

Sorry... im not douting the cars...
Ive got a heavily modded mk2 myself. It can as westy says show a fair few cars that should outshine it a clean pair of heals.
Both my Golfs dont have power steering and it can be a ****** at low speed. strangely worse on the mk1 . thats why i asked.

Not saying you are fella, just recommending something to watch. :thumbsup:

I can't wait to get mine running, it's just a major pain in the *** not having a garage. Got a build thread for the MK2?

I did start a build thread on a local forum but no realy up to date,
It is/ was my first car and ive just refused to let go and kept adding to it as money and know how allowed.
Its a ABF'd 3dr with Twin webers and direct port nos,
I drove it daily with this set up for years but having a young family ment i needed to update the daily. ( secretly it also allowed me to remove the rear seats and some other bits to loose weight.

Not really sure what to do.... Keep it standard as possible or put the S3 engine in it..... Might just sell the engine and it will go towards whatever else I need to do with it.... Just weighing up my options..... Need to get off this rust bucket first and get home.....

I suppose it depends on how long you realisticaly see yourself keeping the car. I can't ever see myself selling my MK2, so I went ahead with the mods.

But if you are looking at the car as an investment, I.E. Keep it for a while hoping the prices go up etc. Then maybe keeping/returning it to standard and tidying it up is your answer. Whichever you decide, don't forget to document it. Always enjoy a good build thread.

Keep the mk1 as your ongoing project, 20vt Mk1 will be rapid. You can get an electric power steering kit fitted which I am getting done to mine and that should take care of low speed manoeuvring. I have zero mechanical ability so am having to get a garage to do mine but if your good with the spanners there are enough off the shelf parts to help you get it in and running.

Plan and cost it out carefully and you could have a lot of fun with that mk1.