1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got me thinking ... your thoughts pls

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Mikebabs1, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Mikebabs1

Mikebabs1 Member

Whilst researching which new tyres to put on my A4 I was surprised by the responses from some of you guys on here as to the vast amount of difference tyres can make to the handling of a car.

Now I'm not completely stupid, obviously 2 identical cars, one running on brand new top of the range tryes and one on worn out economy "slicks" are going to handle differently. But the amount of difference experienced by some of you with differing brands of new tyre amazed me. In particular, I refer to the following comment by PeteTDI ...

My car came with 15" crappy rims and michelin tyres the grip was good, i changed to 17" rims off ebay they had dunflop 235/45 9000's with 6/7 mm of tread and was like driving on ice with the rear end sliding on roundabouts (this was with my baby in the back and driving like a granny) i've just fitted F1 gsd3's no more spinning or sliding just pure grip the best £300 i've spent this year.

Clearly Pete may be exaggerating slightly, but if the type of tyre you put on a car can make that much difference to the handling, it got me thinking about why they never mention, or make allowance for, the type of tyres on cars when doing road tests/comparisons etc in the motoring press and on shows like Top Gear.

Surely, for example, when comparing the M3 to the RS4 it's not a fair comparison of handling/lap times etc unless they're both running on the same tyres! Although I guess you could argue that they are testing them with what they come with as standard, which is fair enough. (You could claim altering the standard tyres is no different to chipping the engine I suppose!)

Also, do they put new tyres on the Suzuki Liana each week? If not, surely it's not fair for the "stars" who have to do laps on the worn tyres!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Mike
  2. The Slug

The Slug Active Member

Thats why you have to take reviews with a pinch of salt, tyres make a massive difference.

IE Contact sport 2's will scrubb more into a corner giving more tendacy to understeer and go wide, with F1 GDS3's on same car will hold into the corner much better, therefore not understeering soo much.
    And the fact of what tyres and in what conditions etc...
  3. madvw

madvw Active Member

worn tyres, or at least part worns will give better grip than new tyres, unless its wet.

As for top gear and the like, i guess they are just road-testing press cars as they are given to them - and they're well know to be a "little different" to the factory ones. They probably already have changed the tyres to something a little bit special before they're given out.
  4. The Slug

The Slug Active Member

Yeah like qualifying tyres, hehe
  5. marriedblonde

marriedblonde Moderator

Except when clarkeson test the ferrari 430, the fezza test guy said the tyres on that wheren;t as good as the ones fitted as standard on the 360 which is why although quicker in a straight line the laps times where as similar as they where...

Can anyone remember many moons ago when Tim Harvey and the rest of the boys turned up to race the stadnard road going cars of the touring cars they drove... Tim harveys renault 21 had slick tyres on it... All the manufacturers had amodded thier road cars for the test...