1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got me S3!!! But got a problem :(

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by jonboy, Oct 7, 2007.

1. jonboy

jonboy 'Team Tweedy'

[Oct 7, 2007]
    Hi, ive just brought me first Audi, its a 2003 Imola yellow S3 with 45,000 miles. Really loving the car :rockwoot: but its developed a problem :sorry: it has a really irritating rattle coming from the front, it doesnt happen all the time only when i go over a rough bit of road. Also when im stationary and manouvering there is a creeking noise.

I reckon it is the front suspension springs from my previous expierances, its sounds like they snapped:keule:

Is this common problem on s3's?

Cheers
    Jon:)
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 20, 2014]

3. Stewart

Stewart Member

[Oct 7, 2007]
    It's the front ARB drop links, very common, I'm on my third set. Pretty cheap and a doddle to change DIY.
  4. jonboy

jonboy 'Team Tweedy'

[Oct 7, 2007]
    Thanks for your reply:icon_thumright: it may sound a little dumb but what are ARB's? something to do with anti roll bars?

Not questioning your knowledge but it really does sound like snapped coil springs, when i go over a speed bump it feels like the front suspension is on its stops! there is very little bounce etc...

Can it still be the ARB's?

Thanks again

Jon:icon_thumright:
  5. jonS3

jonS3 Member

[Oct 7, 2007]
    ARB's are anti roll bars. jack up the fron on the car and check everything out, ARB's, ARB bushes, springs, dampers, drop links etc.....
  6. clcollins

clcollins Member

[Oct 7, 2007]
    The springs can snap at the ends, but it will most likely be the ARB drop links or ARB bushes, it gets discussed over and over again on here. I assume that your car is lowered, that seems to aggravate the on-set of this problem. Silicone spray on the ARB bushes seems to be the place to start.
  7. jonboy

jonboy 'Team Tweedy'

[Oct 7, 2007]
    Nah the car aint lowered. Thanks guys goin to check this problem out tomoz:icon_thumright:
  8. simch

simch Active Member

[Oct 7, 2007]
    The arb itself (front) can creak as its made of three pieces (maybe 2) which are sleeved together! STUPID IDEA!
  9. clcollins

clcollins Member

[Oct 8, 2007]
    I uprated to Neuspeed ARB's, that's when the noise started for me!