1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got hooked by detailing (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by ollie86rn, May 30, 2012.

1. ollie86rn

ollie86rn Member

[May 30, 2012]
    Hey all,

So been on the forum for a while and slowly i was being caught and reeled in by this detailing bug! Always kept my cars clean before but never to such a detail as i do now or even to some of you guys on here, some lovely cars around.

So last weekend after gathering all my equipment (thanks to JuicyJen for the majority of it) i pulled it all out and set about cleaning her.

Here is what i did in total:

Snow foamed entire car (juicyjen foam, good stuff)
    Removed wheels, cleaned with bilberry, iron x, valet pro tar remover and clayed. Finally sealed in with poorboys sealant.
    Cleaned and dressed under each wheel arch with aero 303 (great stuff)
    Wash car (2 bucket method)
    Dried off and then dressed the engine bay (again aero 303)
    Clayed entire car (used valet pro tar remover before, not such a fan but did work)
    Wash car again (2 bucket method)
    Polish using DA with menzerna 203s for heavily marked areas and finished with menzerna 85rd polish
    Finally Waxed with collinite 476s (magic stuff)

First time i have done such an extensive detail and also with the DA, just about got the technique towards the end of the day and man was my back killing me :laugh:. I was really impressed using the collinite, again another first using a hard wax but think it worked really well just hope it will last like what i keep hearing. Was also surprised what a deep shine it gave, hopefully you will be able to see in some of my photos.

Unfortunately I forgot to take some photos before but here was the final result (im no photagrapher so please be kind lol)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking :laugh:
    Ash187 likes this.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 19, 2014]

3. RYes3

RYes3 Member

[May 30, 2012]
    Looks great! What do you use on the interior? Mainly interested in the dash.... I need to stop using pledge lol!
  4. ollie86rn

ollie86rn Member

[May 30, 2012]
    lol yeah i would, i use autoglym vinyl and rubber care spray, used it for years and always been happy with it. On any glass i use fast glass. Ive also got leather seats and use mer leather cleaner although not too happy with it just reluctant to buy anymore untill ive used it up!
  5. Brodster

Brodster Shark Performance In Scotland Regional Rep Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[May 30, 2012]
    Shes looking real nice........good job. I just finished off my mates TTS before it started leathering it down with rain. Didnt have time to get the wax on though. Unpredictable Scottish weather eh:weight_lift2:
  6. MartayMcFly

MartayMcFly Well-Known Member Regional Rep VCDS Map User

[May 30, 2012]
    Well if you're ever up in Aberdeen and the mood strikes, feel free to get mine nice and shiny too!
  7. willowsdad

willowsdad Sideways

[May 30, 2012]
    Nice work. Its this site that does it. I've always washed my cars but never properly. Now since I've had my a3 and been on here I've spent a small fortune. Actually had a small delivery this morning with some interior bits and a nice smelling wheel wax. Perhaps one day we'll need a detailers anonymous page!
  8. Brodster

Brodster Shark Performance In Scotland Regional Rep Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[May 30, 2012]
    Give Al @ AMDetails a ring. He's based in Elgin so not far away from you. He taught me. He's just posted up a thread on an RS4 detail he did last week. Real nice too.
  9. Dan_Sykes

Dan_Sykes New Member

[May 30, 2012]
    Anyone use Meguiars Gold Class Endurance tyre gel? It smells like strawberry sweets, addictive stuff! :D
  10. shariain

shariain Well-Known Member

[May 30, 2012]
    We will get you on the detailers detox program and ween you off it slowly.

Nice job on your car.
  11. ollie86rn

ollie86rn Member

[May 31, 2012]
    Yeah i use it too it does smell good

Cheers all the messages, so far this forum has just got me hooked on detailing however i feel some mods coming on :laugh:
  12. HLZ Bells

HLZ Bells New Member

[May 31, 2012]
    Nice job you have done there looks very nice mate
  13. ADi Nuff Valves

ADi Nuff Valves Member

[May 31, 2012]
    That looks amazing. I've never used a polisher before but think I'll need to if I want to get rid of the swirls on my phantom black. Which DA did you use?
  14. nil538

nil538 Member

[May 31, 2012]
    Looks good mate very nice finish
  15. ollie86rn

ollie86rn Member

[May 31, 2012]
    That was my problem, was clean but had the usual swirl marks over it too, i also have phantom black paint. I brought it from a mate, think it was one from clean your car this one i reckon
    CleanYouCar - EP800 Compact Rotary Polisher - Clean Your Car
  16. daver555

daver555 Member

[Jun 1, 2012]
    Haha, you'd better not go over to A world for detailers... then! Prepare to enter a whole new world of detailing crazyness lol.
  17. ollie86rn

ollie86rn Member

[Jun 1, 2012]
    Already have lol, good site so much info on there to trawl through!