Google Maps

marms

Reaction score
Anyone else think the Google Maps feature is just an advert for theives to come and steal your car?

There are quite a few member who have put a pin in the map and then gone on to describe their car in detail. On a couple of users I have actually zoomed right in and changed to satellite view and I can actually see the car in their driveway.

Personally I would never do this and I only actually state my location as Lincolnshire so as not to attract attention.

Just a thought. Night all.

the satelite images are around 4 years old, cant see it being a problem, if people think it is they dont have to post their location

I agree.

My point was that people are openly showing the exact location of their S3/RS4 or whatever and there has been posts recently of people having such cars stolen from their drives. There was even report of people being forcibly made to hand over keys etc.

I personally think high performance cars like the new S3 and RS4's are stolen to order, like owners of these car are generally hit all in the same night, as it's all setup... these preffesional(sp?) thieves know what they are doing and have their own sources of finding where cars are, most likely not the google maps though imo.

All I know is that by using the Google Map option on this forum, (not Google Maps in general), I was easily able to locate, to street level, several desirable cars.

I'm quite certain that organised criminals monitor enthusiasts forums and just wanted to make people aware that they could potentially be advertising the exact location of their cars.

Obviously everyone else doesn't see this as a problem so I'll shut up.

I'm ok.......i havn't pin-pointed my house on there....................becuase my house isnt built on the images lol. See your point though!!