Goodbye S3

monkeytrousers

Reaction score
The S3 has gone, sniff sniff :blownose:.

Replaced by a superb BMW 330i M Sport Saloon 2006, with all the toys :). Completely different drive to the S3, acceleration is smooth rather than the S3 turbo shove (I'll miss that) .

I've loved every minute of the S3. I'll pop back here from time to time to see if anyone has picked up my old car.

Cheers all.

bmw.jpg

Rear wheel drive scares me, you can get away with all kinds in front wheel drive and haldex.

The first time you let your foot off mid corner on a wet road, and the back end overtakes you, its VERY scary.

And that was in a cacky M42 engined 140Bhp BMW.

Dave_Bayern said:
Rear wheel drive scares me, you can get away with all kinds in front wheel drive and haldex.

The first time you let your foot off mid corner on a wet road, and the back end overtakes you, its VERY scary.

For sure, it has very different characteristics than FWD/4WD, but our hedgerows and ditches are not exactly littered with fallen BMWs. But I am taking things easy as it's my first RWD.

I found this article quite interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rear-wheel_drive

Cheers

monkeytrousers said:
For sure, it has very different characteristics than FWD/4WD, but our hedgerows and ditches are not exactly littered with fallen BMWs. But I am taking things easy as it's my first RWD.
Cheers
I was tiptoeing at first but with the traction on even in the wet the thing is very surefooted,the 265 rear tyres help too.
I love getting the back end out now,in the dry.

Dave_Bayern said:

Dont lift off,leave it all to the DSC and you will be fine.

DSC :)

Puffs.

My BMW has NO computer control. Just a light (for a BMW chassis) and 140Bhp.

318is Coupe.

Help from computers for driving your car is for puffs.

You knows it.

Co-incidentally my girlfriend drives the BMW as a daily, so a GIRL driving a 318is (E36) without any computer control definately makes people who use DSC puffs....

Its only for going fast in the wet.If i want fun in the wet its off.
Now if i only had a little 318 4 pot,there would not be any point in a computer as it cant go fast.

Dave_Bayern said:
Co-incidentally my girlfriend drives the BMW as a daily, so a GIRL driving a 318is (E36) without any computer control definately makes people who use DSC puffs....
And your point is what?
I can drive a tvr without a computer as a daily but that doesnt mean i can drive it like michael schumacher in the wet.

My point is, you are a hom.

I don't have a point, but how else would i waste my working life if not posting drivel on a website?

Dave_Bayern said:
My point is, you are a hom.

I don't have a point, but how else would i waste my working life if not posting drivel on a website?
:icon_thumright:

e36 318is booo the e30 is much more fun and quicker.

Going fast isnt always about 0-60, point to point even the 318is can be a fast car, the e30 318is was nicked name the baby M3 (or poor mans) due to its handling being close to the e30 m3 (an the fact it was the only other multi valved e30)

That 330 looks nice, i keep on looking at them on auto trader and piston heads

Aky said:
Nice swap - how much did you get for the S3? Did you P/X?

I did p-ex the S3. I got £10,000. It was due a service and needed two new tyres so really happy with that. I also got a grand discount on the new motor so all in all I think I got a fantastic deal, particularly as this was all through a main dealer.

When I got the S3 three years ago, it was that or the 330 so it was always likely that I would try the BMW next.

nice motor mate,how does the build quality compare? and also have you found yourself starting to drive like a ****? most beemer drivers around here are awful

voorhees said:
nice motor mate,how does the build quality compare? and also have you found yourself starting to drive like a ****? most beemer drivers around here are awful

Build quality is amazing. So was the S3. Can't call it either way really. Obviously feels a lot more modern in the cabin and has all the toys (the S3 was standard spec).

I find it's black BMW drivers that drive like ***** [I mean black cars not black drivers!]

Dave_Bayern said:

And here you are calling people who use the driver aids Homs...and you are openly admitting to being scared of RWD cars?

You won't find much better balanced than BMWs...so they should hold no fear there.

Now, rear engined, RWD...that's a layout to fear.
Front engined RWD drivers know nothing of lift-off pant filling compared to 911 drivers.

Dave_Bayern said:
Help from computers for driving your car is for puffs.

You knows it.

Oh dear...not one of your better arguments Dave.

I never feel the need to switch mine off...it lets you play the hooligan all day long, but it's there, working harder than I first thought, keeping hedgerow/ditch - 911 interface issues to a minimum.

I'd rather have it that be without it...in the wet it allows me to drive with barely any drop in speed (if my balls feel large enough) and be fairly certain of reaching my destination un-assisted by an ambulance.

If set up correctly, DSC, PSM etc will make you safely faster.
If set up like Audi's feeble attempt, you have to turn them off to get any form of fun from the car.