Goodbye Audi....

Jonc

Reaction score
Hello BMW, Done the deed and defected over to the otherside!! Part ex. my A4 1.8TQ Avant for a 325i Sport. Gotta say that ride and handling are worlds apart, BMW certainly know a thing or two about chassis tuning, and the straight six is smooth as whipped cream. The power delivery is so linear and instant though not as accelerative as A4 (chipped). What the two have in common is that build quality is similar in that both are exceptional. Will I miss the Audi, well the BMW is such a great car it has made the change over very easy.

What the BMW does lack is a good forum. This forum has been a great source of information and definitely enhances Audi ownership, though I can't find anything comparible for BMWs....

Try:

www.bmwland.co.uk

Is it an E36 coupe? If so there is one for those as well:

http://www.e36coupe.co.uk/

Another decent (ish) one is:

http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/bmw.html

As for parts, they are everywhere. Two of my favourites were:

http://www.motorforce.co.uk/

http://www.autovogue-commerce.co.uk/default.asp

Beautiful cars, I've had 2 E39's (recently replaced 528's), 3 E36's (320 coupe, 320 saloon (RIP) and a 325 saloon) plus an E30 saloon (325).

Lovely handling and beautifully smooth engines. I'm afraid nothing else I have had can compete on those 2 counts. BTW, my A4 is my 46th car so I do have the experience to back up this statement... Enjoy it

Things to watch for; steering bushes, trailing arm bushes, rear damper top mounts and that's about it. No cambelt to worry about, the engine takes 6.5 litres of oil IIRC, oil changes are dead easy as the oil filter is right at the top of the engine and right at the front of the car.

As always, find a good independant for repairs and servicing but do give the stealers a ring, they can really suprise on parts to be honest. I bought the oil change kit less the oil for a tenner. It was actually cheaper than Euro Car Parts.

I have the MY02 E46 saloon, thanks for those links I will check them out, and thanks for those tips.

You could try this forum as well.

http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e46/

I had an e36 320 before my a4 and it was a wrench selling after 5 yrs. Cant stray from the german marques though. they definitely know what they are doing. I do miss the straight six startup noise and it sounds sweet when you put your foot down.

On the plus side of audi ownership, it feels quicker than my 320 (i have 1.8T sport) more economical and it has better seats. I also dont get any comments on what car i drive now. Which for me is a plus.

Good luck with the Bee Em, they are good. I have loads of other sites too, if you want them, pm me or something.

Regards

NIge

my dads had no end of trouble with his e46. its going soon!!

Hope the new car does`nt make u start driving like a **** just like the other 99.99% of BMW drivers

[ QUOTE ]
Hope the new car does`nt make u start driving like a **** just like the other 99.99% of BMW drivers

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry, I've had years of experience driving and Audi and intend to make full use of BMW's "optional" indicators and mirrors!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Thanks for the links

How funny!? Hahaha /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I would have got the 328i Sport, quicker car and better on fuel then the 325i.

Nice buy all the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have stretched to a 330i, but they didn't have spec I wanted and mileage was higher and slightly more expensive. The 328i have the nearly the same power as the 325 (1 bhp to the 328), though it does have more torque. Hardly and difference in performace and loss/gain would be dependent on driver skill. But again, didn't have the spec I wanted and are older (pre-facelift) and couldn't find a low mileage one, so I'm quite happy with the deal I got for the 325i, still leagues a head of my previous car A4 99.5 1.8TQ Avant.

BMW forums are rubbish, I've got an old (Ebay for £2700) 1996 V8 530i Touring to use as a run-a-round while I do up a house and I have to say the BMW is better then the Audi I had despite its age.

Engines are sweet and steering, brakes and gearbox is wonderful. BMW's hold there money better than Audis as they are more popular.

BUT, the Audi forum is excellent and only Merc owners have access to an almost equally good forum. The BMW owners club forum seems a bit rubbish really.

Also, as Andymac rightly says, Audi makes the best interior. So I'm coming back to Audi ownership in the form of an A6 4.2 but will have to use the A4 forum as the A6 forum is all but dead.

I have actually just done a post on the A3 forums - S3 vs 330ci - I am SERIOUSLY considering the 330Ci now as similar mileage and year I can get the bimmer... I am simply sick of Audi's lack of customer service... they are shocking.

[ QUOTE ]
1996 V8 530i Touring - Engines are sweet

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but watch out for Nikasil worries on these engines, very expensive to put right - new bottom end £££££££'s

Steering not as sharp on V8's as it is on the 6's as BMW had to use a different steering rack to get round the huge mass of engine block on the V8.

Nikasil

i have an s4 and i have friends that all drive BMWs 325s 330s and M3s and over all i run laps around all of them yes they are very nice cars dont get me wrong but you cant beat the performance audi gives you but the one BMW forum that i beling to and gives me the most info about the cars is http://www.e46fanatics.com/
i love this site its as good as this one gives great info and very little hateing i love it but good luck with the bimmer man they really are great cars0

Is that the S4 with the V8, lovely car, not supprising you run rings around the 3's, though I suspect that a well driven M3 would give a good run for your money! Now the RS4, thats just insanely fast and is the mutts knuts!!

I've just just registered on the e46fanatics nice bunch of people with entusiasm that only Americans can provide!! cheers for the links everyone. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif