1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good software for editing images and creating advert designs?

Discussion in 'Photography & The Digital Darkroom' started by DPM, Apr 4, 2008.

1. DPM

DPM Site Sponsor Site Sponsor

[Apr 4, 2008]
    Does anyone know what's a good software for editing images and creating adverts? Wanting to add images to the website and design a few banners, adverts and logos.

Thanks,

Damian @ DPM
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 23, 2014]

3. technics100

technics100 Member

[Apr 4, 2008]
    For image editing i would use photoshop, but for graphics etc I would use xara X, you can get a 30 day trial from their site. It very easy to use and dead easy to export graphics etc.
  4. jakeriddler

jakeriddler New Member

[Apr 25, 2008]
    I use Freehand & Photoshop to create ads/layouts, a good combination for clean results. Illustrator is good also, Quark possibly but not so flexible.
  5. DPM

[Nov 17, 2008]
    Was looking at Adobe CS4 Extended, any opinions on this?
  6. FactionOne

FactionOne Administrator Staff Member Administrator

[Nov 17, 2008]
    Adobe products are generally great...

For photo editing you'll probably never find better than Photoshop - CS4 is great, CS3 was pretty close to perfect and CS4 just builds on that.

I've never really used Illustrator, but I'm aware that it's certainly no slouch for (funnily enough) Illustrating work.

I started out using Corel products, using CorelDRAW for vector-graphics and desktop publishing, and Photo-PAINT for bitmap work. They're both great programs, and not far off their Adobe counterparts in terms of power; and to be honest I'd even hazard that their interfaces are a bit more intuative and easier to get to grips with, but the fact remains that Photoshop is industry standard, so if you're going to learn anything from scratch it might as well be that.

You might consider Photoshop Elements - it's got all the features that the majority of people need when editing photos, and is a) considerably cheaper, b) considerably easier to get 'early' results from, and c) a great way to build up your knowledge of the 'Adobe Way' before moving to Photoshop CSx.

Regards,

Rob.
  7. buckas

buckas Member

[Nov 17, 2008]
  8. Darkshrimp

Darkshrimp Member

[Nov 18, 2008]
    Actually, Adobe InDesign or Illustrator are both very good for making designs. Provided that you know how to use them properly.

Photoshop is good to create photo editing or digital art, where as the other two are better at setting out layout and vector arts.
  9. buckas

buckas Member

[Nov 18, 2008]
    layouts are easy in PS, also you can make vectors in photoshop and keep them vectors and enlarge them as big as you want, never needed use for the other ones

drew
  10. DPM

[Nov 20, 2008]
    I've ended up getting CS4 and it looks good for editing images but actually putting an advert together looks a little tricky on it.

Damian @ DPM
  11. buckas

buckas Member

[Nov 20, 2008]
    easy mate

what you after?
  12. DPM

[Nov 21, 2008]
    PM'd