1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good evening chaps. New S3 sportback owner

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by eves, Jun 24, 2014.

1. nluk100

nluk100 Active Member

[Jun 26, 2014]
    That's a result (assuming the alloys are in good nick too!)
  2. Dave-S3

Dave-S3 Active Member

[Jun 26, 2014]
    Hmmm i suppose it's ok for you but what about the next person I would be having a word with Audi UK about the conduct of the dealership if that's their attitude then what have they swapped onto your car from a previous car that someone else wasn't happy with. They should be replacing the tyres that aren't up to spec for new ones and scrapping the old ones......
  3. wuta3

wuta3 Well-Known Member

[Jun 26, 2014]
    **** em, it's a cold cruel world out there.
  4. Ashmcblue

Ashmcblue Active Member

[Jun 26, 2014]
    Just tell them plain and simple. New tires or no sale.

It's a bad situation but you have to get them to sort it.

As you quite rightly say what about the next bloke.
  5. pluves1

pluves1 Active Member

[Jun 26, 2014]
    Wouldn't be good enough for me as you don't know what sort of wear the tyres on the other car have had. For instance the tracking might be out and has caused uneven tyre wear.

I'd be going for four new tyres all round - not just the fronts as Audi recommends changing all four at once for quattro - pages 139 and 170 of my manual.

'Avoid using tyres with varying tread depths'
  6. eves

eves New Member

[Jun 26, 2014]
    Audi are taking all 4 wheels off an existing S3 they have in stock. All will have the same tyre wear!

To be honest, they are now going to be better than what's currently on the vehicle.
  7. smurfworth

smurfworth Well-Known Member

[Jun 26, 2014]
    Id just like to point out to you for future when you buy new tyres, regardless of how old you are or how hard you drive or if you drive "like a t**t" if you need to stop in the pouring rain at the motorway legal speed of 70 mph i would much rather have a quality tyre than a budget tyre.

Expensive tyres aren't just for driving fast..
    wuta3, Dave-S3 and nluk100 like this.
  8. Marshy

Marshy Active Member

[Jun 26, 2014]
    As long as the wheels and tyres are ok then at least you got a result.
    The next customer isn't your problem so well done mate, at least it was worthwhile.
  9. Forbzeeee

Forbzeeee Active Member

[Jun 26, 2014]
    You might hate me for this so I am ready for the grilling!!

When trading my old S3 8L the tyres needed replacing about 2 weeks before I traded the car into Audi.

I went for budget tyres because the dealer actually didn't give a toss about my car, the condition, or anything. It was mint!! The only thing they were interested in was the age, mileage and whether it had FSH which it did. When the salesperson looked around it he commented on the tyres saying "Looks like a lot of tread on those tyres, that's good, they're as good as new!" That's it!!

Personally I always had it on continentals or F1s and if selling privately I would've bought the same but the dealer was only interested in what he was selling to me.

The way I look at it is this... it is up to the dealer to get the car in a good condition to sell. Whether that's an MOT, a service, tax or something else, it's their responsibility. They put enough of a mark up on them when they sell as it is.

Anyway, I'm glad you complained and got a result.

In future, do what I do and negotiate on new tyres and all of the above when buying from dealers :)

Welcome, I'm sure you'll love your S3 once you get it :)
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  10. 3.2 Ju

3.2 Ju Well-Known Member

[Jun 26, 2014]
    Congrats on the new car and I'm glad you got them to change the tyres.
    I would say though your experience is fairly typical of the dealerships, especially the used car side. In my experience they take in cars at trade prices and retail them at full dealer market value and will spend as little as possible to achieve that.
    My first S3 had mixed tyres (Inc. 2 budgets) at point of sale and a broken rear parcel shelf blind. The shelf was swapped out of another car in stock and the tyres took several calls and visits to replace, even down to getting Audi UK involved and showing them the manual that states the tyre requirement for cars with quattro.
    If you also look at the 145 point inspection it states on there that quattro must have 4 tyres of the same type, rating and tread pattern.
    My current S3 had a number of minor issues that it had to go back in for that could of been rectified pre sale, but then they wouldn't have been able to claim on the warranty would they!

They might be glossy showrooms but don't be fooled, they are still second hand car dealers when you strip away the comfy seats and Molton Brown hand wash!
    Dave-S3 and Forbzeeee like this.
  11. razza1

razza1 Well-Known Member

[Jun 26, 2014]
    Well done, £45 tyres are only good for swings...braking, ability to divert water away and avoiding aqua planing are going to be very poor on those...
    What dealer was it so that others can be wary if getting an S3 from there and therefore to check the wheels..?
  12. Dave-S3

Dave-S3 Active Member

[Jun 27, 2014]
    Poole Audi...
  13. Alex_Wil

Alex_Wil Stage 2+

[Jun 27, 2014]
    I wouldn't be that wary of them - i got my s3 from Poole Audi and i had continental tyres on mine and the service i got was great
  14. eves

eves New Member

[Jul 8, 2014]
    Good afternoon,

Just a quick one, how do I tell if my car has folding mirrors?
  15. S.

S. Well-Known Member

[Jul 8, 2014]
    Turn the knob to 6o'clock position if there's a symbol. Then they should fold.
  16. woollyjoe

woollyjoe Member

[Jul 8, 2014]
    On the driver's door you have a dial to adjust the wing mirrors. The 12 O'clock position is for heating the glass, and the 6pm position is for folding the wing mirrors. You can see a small icon at the 6 O'clock position. If there is no icon there, then you don't have the option.
  17. eves

eves New Member

[Jul 8, 2014]
    Ahhhhh

I don't have a 6 o'clock position symbol! ;o(
  18. Veneeringman

Veneeringman Bazinga VCDS Map User

[Jul 8, 2014]
    It can be retro-fitted and I'm sure user NHN on here can give you a price......
  19. woollyjoe

woollyjoe Member

[Jul 8, 2014]
    Even when its fitted, its debatable whether it's as convenient as it should be - you have to manually flick the switch each time. i.e. it won't power fold when you lock the car. Not sure about latest gen A3, but given the cost is near £1k it's a tough call.