Golf or Leon?

Vance

Reaction score
hi. i'm stuck between two cars.

i'm interested in the 1.9 TDI PD 130 engine but don't know what car to have with it.

car will be anything later than 2001, but not brand new.

which one should i go for?

i've read horrow stories about both. the golf has some leaking problems and the engine sometimes cuts out when slowing down or stopping. the Leon apparetnnyl had a bad batch which had loads of stuff wrong with it like the wipers, some buttons, engine cutting out.

then again there are loads of people with golfs and loeons who love their car and havent had any problems with it.

i did here something about leons using cheaper components, like for the dash and the headlights. is that true?

only thing i hate about a golf is i can spot at least ten in one bus journey 1.5 miles long. leons however i really don't seem to find that regularly at all.

someone help me decide! thanks

Well if you have seen lots of people driving them they all cant be wrong, i only know of one problem with the golf because i had a 110bhp tdi and it was the Air Flow mass meter had three fitted in under two months. not cheep either. i would say go for the golf though good engines and the 130/150 tdi love tunning.

sorry, you're recommending hte golf becuase it has a good engine?

I was under the impression that they have exactly the same engine? Aren't they both from the VW Audi group?

about lots of people driving them, i think that it's just becuase the golf has a better name becuase it's been around for longer, so people think they're better. not many know that the engines are exactly the same (at least thats what i thought but i may be wrong).

I would personally go for the Golf, as it is the safe option and will have much stronger residual value over the Leon, but be prepared to pay a premium for the Golf Tdi, they are holding prices well, even for a 2001 model. Saying that, a used Leon would possibly be good value for money if it's lost some money for the first couple of years?

I am guessing you would get more toys with the leon for the same money. and i guess it depends if those toys are in your must have list.

also how long are you planning to own the car? if a few years i'd go with golf for easier saleability. but if you are gonna hold on to and mod it etc. i would go for leon.

the leon will be lighter and possibly a wee bit faster, but may be noisier etc.

.have you driven them. which drove better?

If your after Opinions, then the Golf wins over the Leon, when i took out the Golf, A3 and Leon to see the differences and where my money was going, i found the Leon was noiser!

Even with the similar dash from out of the A3, the feel and texture are very different, i liked the golf very much, but i always wanted 4 wheel drive with a diesel lump in it, and boy does it handle and shift well!!

But like Ian says above, u just gotta go out and test drive them to see for yaslef mate!!

Rudeboymcc
I have had a golf so i commemted on how good the engines are not driven a seat i cant really comment in it can i? And my other comment about alot of people driving VW because of there name over the seat is true Skoda share the shame to but you wouldnt go out and buy one would you?.

maybe you would lol taste mate thats all i say.

I'd go for a Golf simply for reliability, and build quality and also importantly resell value! As the Slug says though test drive both and pick which ever makes you smile the most! Goodluck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Test drive them both ... then find a good Leon and buy it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

to be honest i'm not really worried how much the cars gonna be worth later. i'm planning on having it for about 4 years (university).

i've only driven a golf but it wasn't the 1.9. i'm only 18 , i think i'm not allowed to test drive? not sure.

EDIT: there;s a chance i may get a BMW. it may be a much older car (probably about S or T reg), but i love BMWs and have always wanted one. only thing is i don't know how it would perform compared to the golf/leon. how would a 318T compare to a golf 1.8T (both petrol)? if the performance is similar than the BMW will probably be the choice to have, although insurance will be ridiculous!

Leon Prototype awaits!

I know which I'ld go for.

leon05header.jpg

Having owned both Golf's and a Leon i would probably say Leon.

I love the golf and have one at the moment, but if your wanting something to tide you over you can't go wrong with a leon, you'd probably be able to pick one up cheap at the mo with the new model around the corner!

A friend has the leon TDI 130 and it's very nice, feels a little more "poised" than my old mans golf

IMO it looks better as well - that might affect the insurance though.

the only problem would be the re-sale value - probably non existant after 4 years.

good luck

Mike

now im a little biased on this one but i'll try to be as honest as i can!
The engines are practically the same but the Leons will be more hp than the golf. The TDi in the Leon isnt 130, its closer to 150 for a start.
Its sat better on the suspension and has far superior handling

They do have a bad problem with rattling dashes though but this can be sorted very easily. The front lights also tend to mist very very badly and there is nothing SEAT can do to remedy this on certain models. On the 2001 plate it will be happening already, so check it out before you buy. If it hasnt misted already its probably safe to assume its gonna be alright

as for cheaper parts and things, they're all the same. look in the glove box of a golf, the majority will have a SEAT stamp cos the companies interchange various bits. but thats neither here nor there (my mate has a GTTDi and his has a couple of SEAT stamps about the place)
Mind you, my Cordy has more Audi stamps around the car than SEAT stamps! lol

Then theres the shape, the boxy Golf, or the Curvy Leon?

Get one now if you want to make money on it too. With the new Leon coming out the old Leons prices are going up. There are hundreds of people wanting the 1st shape leons and they're not that easy now to get the one you want. Prices are definitely rising!

right, think ive gone on long enough.... test drive both, ive been in both and the 130 Leon trashed the 150 Golf, but it was a much harsher ride, but i like that!

See what you think, but leave the Beemer alone! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif lol

hth a little
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The golf is very common and has high insurance and high prices.

The leon is nice, but are on the run out and values will probably be falling soon. I am not sure if they are easier to insure than the golf, but they are not as common (bonus) and look very well with big wheels and lowered slightly.

The Audi A3 is expensive, but will hold its value and is classier than the golf and leon. Also, it looks good standard. Is the same as a golf for insurance but will be more sought after when its older. Golfs are flooding the second hand market!

Have you considered the VW bora? maybe its not the car for an 18yr old, but a 130 sport bora has more kit than a GT TDI golf as standard, and is lower insurance group and about £2k less to buy, meaning you could afford a younger one.

Or finally, take a test drive in a Skoda Fabia vRS. 130bhp, lighter than a golf or leon, group 9 insurance and goes like a bomb. I have taken one for a days test drive and it was brilliant!!

JD