1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Golf Mk5 Headunit install ????

Discussion in 'In-Car Entertainment' started by simfin, Dec 13, 2004.

1. simfin

simfin New Member VCDS Map User

[Dec 13, 2004]
    Hi,

Have just ordered the Double DIN to single DIN adapter from VW for my MK5, and now will be fitting a new headunit.

Anyone on here had any experience with a MK5 as they have the CAN bus which controls - ignition on/off - Lights Dimmer - Speed Pulse.

So obviously I am unable to get a straight wiring adapter. Getting a switched +12v should be fine, and not too bothered about the speed pulse - but for the light dimmer, do the head units that use this function just look for a +ve signal (which I could find from a dashboard light??)

ALSO - on the back of the VW stereo there are 2 Aerial sockets - Why 2? and how should I wire to a conventional headunit?

Any help/experiences much appreciated.

Cheers
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 26, 2014]

3. monty77

monty77 Member

[Dec 13, 2004]
    Sorry to Hijack but what does the double>single DIN adapter looks like? Part number? Price?

...I want to put a std HU in my 2001 S3 which has a double DIN OEM stereo in it.

Cheers!
    Adam
  4. simfin

simfin New Member VCDS Map User

[Dec 13, 2004]
    Not sure it would fit your car ???

But I have to say the quality is Excellent - It is VAG part, and comes with a cubby hole underneath which has a rubber/dimpled anti slip mat. I checked out VW before Autoleads etc, and could not belive it was only £14 + vat - cheaper than the autoleads.

p/n 1T0 051 058 A

HAving done some more checking it would appear I need a CAN bus adapter to solve the power/light/speed pulse issues. Looks like it could be expensive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif . Unless someone knows something different.