Golf Mk3 cambelt problems

dougisaacs

Reaction score
I've never done a cambelt change before but I thought I'd give it a go on my 1994 MK3 Golf Driver (1.8 8V SPI petrol, code ABS, power steering, no air con). However.....

Actually everything went well except for the first time I think I got the intermediate shaft one tooth out so it ran badly. I re-did the job and engine ran fine, except for a 'whirring' noise. I've traced this to the cambelt rubbing on the alternator pulley that bolts onto the crankshaft sprocket. I've tried another new belt and have also changed the tensioner, no joy. I've turned the engine without the alternator pulley attached and found the belt moves right up to, and past, the edge of the crankshaft sprocket so about 2 mm of the belt is sticking out - hence when the pulley is in place it is rubbing on it. I did not undo any of the crankshaft, camshaft or intermediate shaft sprockets so I can't understand why this is happening. I've even fitted the original belt back on and this is still happening. HELP!

Any ideas much appreciated, my pregnant wife is not enjoying the walk to the station and getting the train to work.
Cheers,
Doug