Gold Heat Reflect Tape on CAIs - Result !

Iggu

Reaction score
I'm not the first to do this little mod by any means - but being very sceptical of any benefits I decided to test the outcome and measure the results and I was very pleasantly surprised. The following are all intake temperatures using Vagcom block 4:

Without the Gold Tape:
Idling temperature: 29 degrees
Average temp under heavy throttle: 18 degrees
Lowest temp recorded: 17 degrees

Then I fitted the gold tape and re-ran the test:
DSC00344.jpg

Idling temperature: 26 degrees
Average temp under heavy throttle: 16 degrees
Lowest temp recorded: 14 degrees

In the picture above the difference in temperature to the touch between the gold areas (even directly above the exhaust at the back) and the silver, uncovered section in the bottom right is amazing. The gold areas remain only lukewarm even after a hard drive. A brilliant little mod (thanks to JonnyC here). For anybody interested the tape is widely available on eBay - it cost me £55 to do this lot.

Jonny doesnt do this stuff for fun. He's a ficking racecar driver lol!

wow i am impressed with the intake temps being so low with and without the gold stuff.

just shows how efficent the intercooler is as airtemps coming out from the turbo can reach 100degrees plus!

very impressed with the results of the gold stuff as well! bit of bling never hurts!

Iggu you must stop doing these things!

:thumbsup:

Great results but may take me a while to get my head around all that Gold, wonder if Mr T has this in his engine bay ?!?

Great results but may take me a while to get my head around all that Gold, wonder if Mr T has this in his engine bay ?!?
He'll need more than one roll to sort out the air intakes on a tank engine!

I was a bit twitchy about this too - needless to say I won't be showing it off to anyone (apart from you lot).
I'm not sure what gains an extra 2 degrees would give anyway. Very little to the likes of us I'd imagine. But lower temps are better for the car's internals so on balance I thought it was worth the blingy embarrassment factor.

I admire your courage pal !!

No doubt you will get used to it I know I had problems initially with the look of the engine minus its plastic cover after the intake was fitted but have soon got used to that.

I've also gone full circle now and am playing the Oliver Twist angle in regards to modification and outright gains "....Please sir can I have some more...!!"

i much prefer an engine like that, i like the fact you can see it all, i like it how there is no unnecessary parts in the engines bay. Its not like your a rude boy fitting it just cos u think the gold looks good, it actually does have an effect on how the engine performs.

i like it