GmbH Suspension and dot colours - My spring has just snapped

s3mad_dude

Noggies ruuuule!
Reaction score
Hi Chaps,

My rear spring went "Boing" at the weekend and a chunk of it fell off my car. It is sitting on my coffee table at the moment :)

Thing is my S3 (BAM - Oct 2002) came with the 18" RS/TT alloys as standard from the factory. Now I am led to believe that as a result my S3 has GmbH suspension on it. Also I have pink dots on my springs.

Thing is I spoke to Audi and although they are usually really helpful, the parts team said that the replacement spring will have 3 silver/grey dots on it, however I don't think this is right. They searched for the correct part on their system using my VIN number and said you need parts for a "2003 model".

I'm unconvinced and I don't want to replace my spring and have it look too high.

I have the part number that he quoted me on my desk at work so I'll post it tomorrow am.

Can anyone help me which part number I need as I want to keep my S3 standard and I want to make sure I get the correct spring fitted. I checked out this recent post by Funky Junky and I don't fancy going down that route with the grey dots....
(Other post link: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/107877-snapped-front-coil-spring.html)

Thanks

James.

Let me run outside and check mine, I think mine had about that many. Do you still have it?

My car didnt come with gmbh suspension (did a check with my option codes) it had both rear springs replaced at audi just before I bought it. The other day when I was changing my wheels over and I noticed 5 pink dots on the rear springs? Does this mean I have the lower springs? Odd?

I have checked my option code which state:

1JF = Rear sports shock absorption
G21 = Front shock absorption
CL4 = Alloy wheels 8J x 18

My FRONT springs have five pink dots, but rear left has three grey dots and rear right has no dots on it! I have checked ALL my receipts and invoices for the car from the day it was made and there is no mention of it ever having any new springs. I might phone up the original owner and ask him.

So perhaps three grey dots IS the GmbH suspenison...either that or mine hasn't got it.....but why do my codes say it???

HELP....so confused....!

Last edited:
AHHH!!! Perhaps I have sussed it.

My option codes say I have "REAR sport shock absorbtion". Notice the front says that it just has "G21 Front shock absorbtion".

Now, on my old S3 that had Avus wheels, I put RS/TT replicas on it and the car always looked liked it sat a tiny bit too high on the rear, however my current S3 always looked flat and perfect.

Perhaps the rear springs should have grey dots..?

My original car sales invoice has no mention of GmbH suspension or anything like that though. Can another person who had RS/TT alloys as standard check their option codes for: 1JF ?

Last edited:
I entered all of my three digit option codes on this site here: VW Group Option Codes Decoder

It will take you a good 5 mins to enter all the three digit codes in! You can get all of your three digit codes from the inside cover of your service book where the paint code, engine number etc is.

Yeah, I seem to remember mine had 5 pink dots.

funny you should say that i was down at the garage tonight johny, noticed the two rear springs have 3 silver dots. but the fronts are 5 pink dots. maybe they were replace by a previous owner who prob wasnt in the know.

Last edited:
Just to confirm what was in my thread, the fronts should have five pink dots and the rear should have 3 grey/silvery dots if you're running the -10mm suspension. Mine has settled now and looks like it did before the change. Awesome ordered my springs from the chassis number which should provide the correct lowered springs if it did have them from factory.

Thanks for the info Funky_Junky. Ok, I'll order two springs. I think they said they were £60 each.

I'll post the part number up tomorrow for other ASN-ers.

funny you should say that i was down at the garage tonight johny, noticed the two rear springs have 3 silver dots. but the fronts are 5 pink dots. maybe they were replace by a previous owner who prob wasnt in the know.

Hey Kev. My receipts show that the previous owner replaced one of the fronts several years ago, but that's it.
Sounds like 5 pink dots on the fronts and 3 grey/silver dots on the rears is right for the gmbh kit.
So... you keeping the S3?

Does anybody know if it was just the springs that were different with the gmbh suspension or the shocks too ?

I've been told one of my rear springs has broke, apparently nit an emergency as it's only the pig tail, but I was thinking if I change one I might change them all, but would my shocks be alright with these springs ?

I'd imagine 10mm wouldn't make much of a difference leggy.
I'm not sure if the shocks are different but the TT guys seem to think so, as 'gmbh' shocks and Eibach springs is a popular mod, so i've heard.

Righty oh, I might see how much it would cost for 4 new gmbh springs, if it's not worth the money I'll just throw 1 standard spring back on...

Hey Kev. My receipts show that the previous owner replaced one of the fronts several years ago, but that's it.
Sounds like 5 pink dots on the fronts and 3 grey/silver dots on the rears is right for the gmbh kit.
So... you keeping the S3?

hey johnny, yeah gonna keep the s3 now, gearbox is almost out so not sure if i should buy a second hand gearbox or get the one ive got repaired as its just the diff thats gone. kinda scared to buy a secondhand one to find out its a pile of poop!

IIRC correctly 4 x -10mm springs are over £200 (without fitting), they're more expensive than aftermarket alternatives.

AHHH!!! Perhaps I have sussed it.

My option codes say I have "REAR sport shock absorbtion". Notice the front says that it just has "G21 Front shock absorbtion".

Now, on my old S3 that had Avus wheels, I put RS/TT replicas on it and the car always looked liked it sat a tiny bit too high on the rear, however my current S3 always looked flat and perfect.

Perhaps the rear springs should have grey dots..?

My original car sales invoice has no mention of GmbH suspension or anything like that though. Can another person who had RS/TT alloys as standard check their option codes for: 1JF ?

Out of interest what colour dots do the front springs have, mine has the same REAR Sports shock Absorbtion and the G21 Front Shock absorbtion, can't see any dos on the rear springs but on my front springs there have a pink and an orange dot on them? Both my front springs snapped on Saturday !!!!!!!!

Sorted it. Pink and violet spots are the standard original springs for my 2002 so that's what's been ordered.

Just found out that i've got GmBH suspension from the factory. Rear coil was broken at MOT; MOT fail, replaced with KYBs which are totally wrong. Anyways, was thinking about lowering it but kind of reconsidering that now..
Might be a stupid question (and apologies for digging pretty deep on this thread) but if i were to buy non VW/Audi springs (P/N VW 1J0 511 115 DE) crossed to say bilsteins (crosses to bilstein 36-196036) would it still have the colour dots on there or no?

Just found out that i've got GmBH suspension from the factory. Rear coil was broken at MOT; MOT fail, replaced with KYBs which are totally wrong. Anyways, was thinking about lowering it but kind of reconsidering that now..
Might be a stupid question (and apologies for digging pretty deep on this thread) but if i were to buy non VW/Audi springs (P/N VW 1J0 511 115 DE) crossed to say bilsteins (crosses to bilstein 36-196036) would it still have the colour dots on there or no?

I have a set of these in the garage if you want genuine Audi ones ones, they have 3 silver dots on each rear spring.

Don't suppose anyone has the part number for 8L S3 front springs (preferably GmBH but standard also useful)?

Thanks