Glugging sound from petrol tank.....?

Rob_17

Reaction score
Evening all,

Got home from work today and noticed a glugging type sound from the rear of the car which I traced to the fuel tank. After 5 minutes or so i opened the filler cap, there was the sound of a small pressure release which then stopped the glugging noise.

Any ideas / anyone else had this?

Cheers, Rob.

(My cars a 2.0TFSI s-line sportback)

Firstly you will find quite often that when you open the fuel cap you will hear some sort of pressure release since petrol is constantly evaporating and so the gas has to go somewhere.

Also, was the glugging noise there for the full 5 mins? I know that when I drive the girlfriends car if you pull up abruptly and turn off the engine that you can hear the fuel sloshing around in the tank, could this have been what you heard?

Yeh fully aware of the that - i work on process in a refinery! Car defo stopped for a full 5 minutes... so not just sloshing around. Just hadn't heard it before and didn't seem quite right.

Haha, so I guess you know all about the petrol thing then! :respekt:

I'm all out of ideas then, I don't really know why it would be doing that. It wasn't on a full tank with some spirited driving was it? lol.

Filled up yest morning to a full tank, and have done 75 miles since so yeh pretty full. As for spirited driving, i'd say 'quite spirited'!!! Not ringing it's neck, but not exactly hanging around either..!?!

I don't know, was just thinking that maybe some fuel sloshed up into the overflow and was glugging it's way back into the tank? After that I'm out of ideas! lol.

Yeh thats an idea, cheers Dan. Be interesting to see if it happens again!

Yeah... If it doesn't happen again then maybe it's just a case of filling up and chucking it round some corners to see if it will happen again! As if you need an excuse though... :icon_thumright: