1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GLOWING RED TURBO!!!

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by AUDI TURBO, Dec 16, 2007.

1. AUDI TURBO

AUDI TURBO Member

[Dec 16, 2007]
    Ohhhhhhhhhh dear. after fitting new boost gauge and manual boost controller thought id increase my psi abit. but me bin abit thick fittedboost gauge in wrong place. result= started to increase my mbc valve and my gauge showed a loss in psi....... so i gave it a good turn..... 2nd gear foot to floor OH MY GOD the car was like a rocket i mean imprezza turbo didnt stand a chance an then 2nd attempt car thudded into limp mode like a huge misfire!!!! so popped the bonnet and thought id best lower the valve and inside i noticed my turbo bright RED it had seriously got too hot!!!!!!!!!!!! talk about close call:scared2:
  2. jcb

jcb Active Member VCDS Map User

[Dec 17, 2007]
    ahem.......what exactly did you expect?
    If you wound it up high enough your injectors will probably have been close to running out of steam.
    seriously high EGT, detonation, wounded rods and piston crowns
  3. AUDI TURBO

AUDI TURBO Member

[Dec 19, 2007]
    IT STILL GLOWS EVEN ON STOCK SET UP!!!!
  4. macca

macca Member

[Dec 20, 2007]
    is the manifold glowing at all, this would suggest definitly high EGT. though even driven hard it may glow a little anyway, mine on 1 bar boost glows very orange.

if just turbo then maybe the oil supply is not good or turbo is worn.

just a guess.
  5. AUDI TURBO

AUDI TURBO Member

[Dec 20, 2007]
    MANIFOLD GLOWING LAST NIGHT AFTER I INCREASED PSI TO TURBO WITH A MANUAL BOOST GAUGE. IVE GIVEN UP BUT IT BACK TO STOCK AND GETTING A PROPER REMAP DONE SO THAT WAY IM SAFE AND NOT BLOW CAR UP
  6. AUDI TURBO

AUDI TURBO Member

[Dec 20, 2007]
    EVEN HAD A QUICK FLASH OF OIL LOW WARNING LIGHT COME ON WHICH GOT ME WORRIED!!!!!!!
  7. Markey

Markey Active Member

[Dec 20, 2007]
    So is that not what we basically told you anyway....
  8. AUDI TURBO

AUDI TURBO Member

[Dec 21, 2007]
    YES YES your right. sorry
  9. Audimandan

Audimandan A4 1.8T 1998 (S) 70K Silver, standard for now...

[Dec 31, 2007]
    Mine was glowing a little when I got back from work this morning!
  10. billybravo

billybravo MODERATOR

[Jan 2, 2008]
    im not happy unless mine isnt glowing means im driving like a pussy
  11. AUDI TURBO

AUDI TURBO Member

[Jan 5, 2008]
    yes well it all sorted now. new 710N bov valve, new hose clips etc and boost gauge installed in correct place (duuuurrrrrrrr) and new chip fitted im now getting about 11-12psi which is a HUGE difference so im happy at mo. only thing now is i change some breather hoses etc to red SILCONE type to be onest it looks good they jsut seemed abit soft?? is silcone bad or is it ok??
  12. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Jan 5, 2008]
    What chip did you go with?
  13. USAF Long

USAF Long Spooling Up The Turbos

[Jan 5, 2008]
    You turned up the boost, but by not increasing the fuel supply either through longer injector pulse widths or by using larger injectors (if the stock ones are being ran at over 90% duty cycle. The chip would compensate the rise in boost with a rise in injector pulse width as well as the rise in fuel pressure from the fuel pressure regulator.

I was gonna say there are two things that will make a turbo get that hot. 1: you are running out of fuel causing a lean condition. You have heard the saying lean is mean? Well the extra fuel not only richens the mixture, it also cools the cylinder slightly so you'd have lower exhaust gas temperatures which are fed directly into the turbo. 2: the turbo is oil cooled so if everything else was fine I'd suspect the oil line is plugged up.

Luckily you didn't damage the motor from leaning it out that much, you could have had detonation which if you're lucky would just pop your head gasket(s) and if you're unlucky, maybe bend a rod, burn a hole in a piston or crack a piston.

Anyhow there's a reason why these cars need a chip and not just a cheap manual boost valve. I'm sure you can get away with upping the boost a few PSI with an mbc but at some point the computer won't add enough fuel because it's not in the factory programming to see that much boost. Also I've heard more boost without a chip can cause the computer to cut throttle and you'll lose performance which sounds like what it did to you.

Good luck with the chip, they work well and offer more power and retain factory drivability. Now work on your exhaust or fit some bigger turbos in the car!!
  14. AUDI TURBO

AUDI TURBO Member

[Jan 6, 2008]
    i got a chip for ebay germany which i thought when i first fitted was a some **** superchip........but now ive EVENTUALLY got my car runnign as it was when new THEN upgraded parts and put the new chip in well this somes it up........... WOW........... she flys...
  15. Blue_Thunder

Blue_Thunder Active Member

[Jan 6, 2008]
    Still not as fast as your parent's Corolla?
  16. AUDI TURBO

AUDI TURBO Member

[Jan 6, 2008]
    i doubt that they own a very fast corolla 1 of only 250 made
  17. jsmithee

jsmithee Member

[Jan 6, 2008]
    so is that german ebay chip any good or not? im still considering getting one as i cannot afford a proper remap
  18. USAF Long

USAF Long Spooling Up The Turbos

[Jan 6, 2008]
    Put aside money and save up for a proper chip from one of the well known tuners such as MTM, APR, GIAC, Dahlback, or Vast. I wouldn't trust some off brand chip to work properly in my car and I wouldn't want to have to pay to buy a new engine when you blow it up with a **** chip. Those companies listed have done extensive testing and tuning for the Audi cars. Now if you are buying a used brand name chip and you find it listed on ebay, well as long as it matches your ECU model, go ahead and save money that way. But stick to name brands or you never know what you might get.
  19. AUDI TURBO

AUDI TURBO Member

[Jan 8, 2008]
    german chip fine causing NO problems at all and he has SOLD HUGE amounts of these